Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Applying for ASN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About Applying for ASN

jasonxujasonxu Member
edited October 2023 in General

I come from China and I would like to apply for an ASN for Ripe, but other options are also possible.
I have Vultr servers in Europe, what materials should I prepare and what operations should I perform
I am also looking for a LIR to assist me in registering for ASN
Due to some reasons, I can only make payments through WeChat Pay or Alipay for the expenses incurred

Comments

• I come from China and I would like to purchase an ASN. I hope it will be a one-time payment
    My budget limit is 500 RMB
    Please recommend several websites or Lirs to me

• Check out these LIRs, which have just a one time payment
    https://lowend-deals.xbit.win/#asn

Personally I got my ASN from Cloudie.

• Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @Otus9051 now is your time to shine. Explain the ASN journey

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I'm sure @RickBakkr can help you out

Thanked by 1RickBakkr
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If you operate in RIPE service region, we recommend @Cloudie , $40 one time with /40 PA prefix.
    https://my.cloudie.sh/index.php?rp=/store/lir-services/asn-registration-ripe

• @sh97 said:
    Check out these LIRs, which have just a one time payment
    https://lowend-deals.xbit.win/#asn

Personally I got my ASN from Cloudie.

@yoursunny said:
    If you operate in RIPE service region, we recommend @Cloudie , $40 one time with /40 PA prefix.

@v3ng said:
    I'm sure @RickBakkr can help you out

@jmaxwell said:
    @Otus9051 now is your time to shine. Explain the ASN journey

Thank you for your reply, but I hope to find a payment method that supports Alipay or other RMB

• @jmaxwell said:

well i got it from august with some bargaining (i.e. getting $20 for an asn+/44 down to $10 for an asn+/40) and then persuading him for a free vm for peering + my personal stuff and then making him like me with my PBP™ Technology (person based personality) so that he upgrades me to a xeon gold.

unless you want to do that, dont.

feel free to ask me about BIRD and BGP tho.

• @Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

well i got it from august with some bargaining (i.e. getting $20 for an asn+/44 down to $10 for an asn+/40) and then persuading him for a free vm for peering + my personal stuff and then making him like me with my PBP™ Technology (person based personality) so that he upgrades me to a xeon gold.

I have obtained my/44 through certain means (confidentiality), and I only need an ASN. What should I do

• @jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

I have obtained my/44 through certain means (confidentiality), and I only need an ASN. What should I do

do as the others say, because if i give my opinion on people in here it would be a total mess
    also to note APNIC will and WILL fuck you over your ASN so stick with RIPE.

• @Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

do as the others say, because if i give my opinion on people in here it would be a total mess

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're saying. It could be due to my translator

• @jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're saying. It could be due to my translator

Well, for registering an ASN you need to go through an LIR in your region of services, for eg. RIPE NCC covers Europe, APNIC covers Asia, ARIN covers America, etc. RIPE NCC is the most available of them all because they aren't picky of who their clients are. So locate an LIR of your likes and then request an ASN. If you wish to not get an IP range, you might contact them beforehand through their support channels, though I would suggest getting an IP Range anyways because too many IPs dont hurt. Then you need to get a VPS in some sort of an Internet Exchange (or if you have your own server hardware you can contact Hurricane Electric for free colocation in Fremont) and then you contact your neighbours for getting permission to peer with them. The most popular choice for a BGP router is Debian with the BIRD application. BIRD is very easy to configure, and @yoursunny or me can help you with that.

Thanked by 2niceboy ipguru
  • @Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

Well, for registering an ASN you need to go through an LIR in your region of services, for eg. RIPE NCC covers Europe, APNIC covers Asia, ARIN covers America, etc. RIPE NCC is the most available of them all because they aren't picky of who their clients are. So locate an LIR of your likes and then request an ASN. If you wish to not get an IP range, you might contact them beforehand through their support channels, though I would suggest getting an IP Range anyways because too many IPs dont hurt. Then you need to get a VPS in some sort of an Internet Exchange (or if you have your own server hardware you can contact Hurricane Electric for free colocation in Fremont) and then you contact your neighbours for getting permission to peer with them. The most popular choice for a BGP router is Debian with the BIRD application. BIRD is very easy to configure, and @yoursunny or me can help you with that.

I hope you can help me
    I want to obtain ASN in Ripe. I already have a German server for Vultr and bills. Do you need anything else or what else do I need to do

• @jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

I hope you can help me
    I want to obtain ASN in Ripe. I already have a German server for Vultr and bills. Do you need anything else or what else do I need to do

For a start, there have been many LIRs mentioned on this thread. You can reach out to them asking if they accept your payment method. Everyone accepts PayPal/Credit cards.

Thanked by 1Otus9051
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@v3ng said: I'm sure @RickBakkr can help you out

Thank you for the mention @v3ng .

I think @jasonxu already has an open ticket with us. We, as are most colleagues here, are members of the RIPE NCC. This means that we will obey to the RIPE guidelines / policies, where a primary condition for assignment would be that assigned resources are used either by European (EMEA) entities, or within Europe (EMEA) - preferably both. This means that things get complex for Chinese customers.

Given @jasonxu is Chinese, CNNIC is the way to go. See: https://www.cnnic.com.cn/IS/ipas/

If there is a reason why Jason cannot use the normal path, either going CNNIC, or maybe APNIC (we are APNIC member too), we can work something out, if he can explain the need and justify why he conforms the RIPE NCC guidelines.

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • @sh97 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jasonxu said:

@Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

I hope you can help me

For a start, there have been many LIRs mentioned on this thread. You can reach out to them asking if they accept your payment method. Everyone accepts PayPal/Credit cards.

How should I contact them? Email?

• @RickBakkr said:

@v3ng said: I'm sure @RickBakkr can help you out

Thank you for the mention @v3ng .

I think @jasonxu already has an open ticket with us. We, as are most colleagues here, are members of the RIPE NCC. This means that we will obey to the RIPE guidelines / policies, where a primary condition for assignment would be that assigned resources are used either by European (EMEA) entities, or within Europe (EMEA) - preferably both. This means that things get complex for Chinese customers.

Given @jasonxu is Chinese, CNNIC is the way to go. See: https://www.cnnic.com.cn/IS/ipas/

If there is a reason why Jason cannot use the normal path, either going CNNIC, or maybe APNIC (we are APNIC member too), we can work something out, if he can explain the need and justify why he conforms the RIPE NCC guidelines.

I am unable to open this website
    But I hope to apply on Ripe because the Chinese internet is difficult to explain

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@jasonxu said: because the Chinese internet is difficult to explain

I strongly encourage you to request resources from the right place with the right justification. RIPE resources are not meant for allocation and use outside of the RIPE area. Such practices may harm the resource holder, or sponsor in case of PI.

• @RickBakkr said:

@jasonxu said: because the Chinese internet is difficult to explain

I strongly encourage you to request resources from the right place with the right justification. RIPE resources are not meant for allocation and use outside of the RIPE area. Such practices may harm the resource holder, or sponsor in case of PI.

No, because my business mainly comes from Europe

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited October 2023

Threads merged.

• @DP said:
    Threads merged.

Please delete this discussion

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jasonxu said:

@DP said:
    Threads merged.

Please delete this discussion

Can't do that, sorry.

• TekoTeko Member
    edited October 2023

@jasonxu said: My budget limit is 500 RMB

https://www.nodeseek.com/post-26392-1
    https://www.nodeseek.com/post-27305-1

Based on the stated budget of the OP, I guess that they are the same person.

He just wants to use his own IP address to trick Cloudflare Warp and obtain geo IP addresses for Iceland, North Korea, etc.

@jasonxu said: No, because my business mainly comes from Europe

@jasonxu Is this your "business"? :D

Thanked by 2sillycat TYT
  • Maybe @wiggy can help you out

Thanked by 1wiggy
  • wiggywiggy Member, Host Rep

We would normally but we only accept stripe and PayPal unfortunately :(

Its a pretty straight forward process besides actually getting the records in with the rir before application. Its a tad hard for newbies. (I plant o make some guides eventually)

• @yoursunny said:

could you tell me what do i even have to put in all these fields? thanks (private individual)
    it's been on my bucket list for long time to have ASN and later maybe own a ipv6 block...

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@DeadlyChemist said:

@yoursunny said:

could you tell me what do i even have to put in all these fields? thanks (private individual)
    it's been on my bucket list for long time to have ASN and later maybe own a ipv6 block...

Open a ticket and ask.
    They'll give you video tutorials on how to create RIPE objects.
    Tell them I referred you, so I remain in their good list.

It's unlikely you'll own IPv6 block - getting PI block requires justification and costs €50/year for a /48.
    The order comes with /40 PA block leased to you with no recurring fees.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@DeadlyChemist said:

Or you can go with a LIR such as me. I'm happy to coach you thru the process via chat or ticket... , but my prices are not quite as low as some others that got mentioned in this thread.

That said you will need a person/maintainer pair. The contents of this should match you as a natural person.
    Then you will need an ORG object. (This should match you, if natural person, or your company if a business). Those fields should be pretty much self explanatory. Name, Address,... You will also need to reference your person and maintainer object in the ORG-Object.

After that find two Peers that will do bgp with you (Ideally in the location of your choice within the Ripe Service Area.). Get their contact addresses, as-numbers.

Then you have a bit of paperwork ahead. (Sponsoring agreement will need a signature).

You will also be required to pass a bit of KYC. Both on the part of the LIR (and for the RipeNCC). Depending on the LIR, they will either collect all the required documents from you and forward it to the ripencc, or supply you with a document upload link for things that go beyond what the LIR can/will/want-to collect from you.

Feel free to take a look at the MyRootPW Knowlegebase on the topic: https://clients.myrootpw.com/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/index/7/

That said, I'm rather strict on on policy compliant use and resource assignment. This does have its benefits tho, as there will be no unexpected surprises down the road for our clients.

I also want to note that over the last year we have seen a massive increase in interest in Internet Resource requests from Parties located outside of the service area. Many of those requests we had to reject. Often those cases are not because of a strong connection/presence in the ripe service area or a justified technical need- but are instead a result of trying to "optimize costs" or "find an easier way" compared to going with the correct RIR/...

• Can someone eli5 how to obtain ASN? Step by step. Pre-requisites etc. I guess we talking about ipv6 only asn's? How much does it cost yearly? What knowlwdge is necessaey to operate asn? CCNA?

• TekoTeko Member
    edited October 2023

@LTniger said: Can someone eli5 how to obtain ASN?

It's different in different registers, but basically, you just need to provide your company ID or personal ID to the register, and pay the LIR or register, and you will get one.

@LTniger said: How much does it cost yearly?

It depends on your LIR and register.
    Take a look at the pinned discussion in this forum.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/160162/aio-ip-related-ipv4-ipv6-asn-thread-only-providers-lirs-are-allowed-to-post-offers

@LTniger said: What knowlwdge is necessaey to operate asn? CCNA?

CCNA is not necessary. Even I, a high school student with self-learning in computer science, can operate it.

It's better to try running your network inside DN42 first. As it's free, it's a good starting point. This will allow you to learn the basics of eBGP, iBGP, and IGP, and gain knowledge on how to fill in the information in the registry.

If you need peers within DN42, feel free to contact me.
    I have EU, US, and Asia PoP available.