Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can 2x1gbps work for streaming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can 2x1gbps work for streaming?

So a few times a month I do some streaming and soon 1gbps will not be enough. Going for a 10gbps server instead gets a bit too expensive but my current server have the option to add a second 1gbps line to it for like 10euros.

I've been reading some about setting up bonding to make it work like one 2gbps port. But how optimal would this be for a single rtmp stream?
If you would say it works, is it possible to setup the bonding with only SSH access (server running ubuntu 18.04)?

On a second note, maybe a bit odd but is there providers who can offer 2gbps on one port in the netherlands? Good to know just in case :)
Thank you

Comments

• @Stiffsson said: On a second note, maybe a bit odd but is there providers who can offer 2gbps on one port in the netherlands? Good to know just in case

Surely in Italy :) near to NL

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

2G should be OK. Question is; how much do you expect you need for the streaming service? Are you constantly using 1G+?

• @VPSSLIM said:
    2G should be OK. Question is; how much do you expect you need for the streaming service? Are you constantly using 1G+?

Hi. Well not much at all. My current server have 25TB/month outbound but i've never used more than 15TB/month. Its a dedicated server by the way

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

@Stiffsson said:

@VPSSLIM said:

Hi. Well not much at all. My current server have 25TB/month outbound but i've never used more than 15TB/month. Its a dedicated server by the way

Why would you want more than 1Gbps then?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@VPSSLIM said:

@Stiffsson said:

@VPSSLIM said:

I am assuming these streams have peak times which exhaust a 1Gbps port.

• @LordSpock said:

@VPSSLIM said:

@Stiffsson said:

@VPSSLIM said:

I am assuming these streams have peak times which exhaust a 1Gbps port.

Yes, this is correct. Not looking for bandwidth, just if 2gbps on one port is possible or if someone know how I can configure bonding with 2 ports

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2023

I've been reading some about setting up bonding to make it work like one 2gbps port.
    But how optimal would this be for a single rtmp stream?

It wouldn't help. LAG (link aggregation) would give you 2Gbps total bandwidth, however each individual TCP connection can only use a maximum of 1Gbps. You can't split a single TCP connection across multiple physical links. Even if you could, it'd likely slow things down as the packets are very likely to arrive out of order (for example, the two connections may take very different routes).

The main use case for LAG is improving overall speed (two people could each be streaming at 1Gbps for example), and redundancy (if one of the links goes down, you still have the other one and don't have to change any configuration).

maybe a bit odd but is there providers who can offer 2gbps on one port in the netherlands?

There should be some, if you have fiber in your area. In the US, companies that offer fiber (at least in my area) often offer 1Gbps, 2Gbps, 5Gbps, 8Gbps (sometimes), and 10Gbps.

Sorry, I was talking about home internet.

• @Daniel15 said:

I've been reading some about setting up bonding to make it work like one 2gbps port.
    But how optimal would this be for a single rtmp stream?

It wouldn't help. LAG (link aggregation) would give you 2Gbps total bandwidth, however each individual TCP connection can only use a maximum of 1Gbps. You can't split a single TCP connection across multiple physical links. Even if you could, it'd likely slow things down as the packets are very likely to arrive out of order (for example, the two connections may take very different routes).

The main use case for LAG is improving overall speed (two people could each be streaming at 1Gbps for example), and redundancy (if one of the links goes down, you still have the other one and don't have to change any configuration).

maybe a bit odd but is there providers who can offer 2gbps on one port in the netherlands?

There should be some, if you have fiber in your area. In the US, companies that offer fiber (at least in my area) often offer 1Gbps, 2Gbps, 5Gbps, 8Gbps (sometimes), and 10Gbps.

Thanks for your answer. This was what I wanted confirmed, tried to read on some pages after searching for it but never really understand.

Well this only gets me to take the next step; Getting a new dedicated server and as said, 10gbps will be out of budget but maybe there is some who can do 2gbps on one port. If anyone know some providers in the netherlands, please let me know. Thank you

• Does it need to be a dedicated server? If you only do the streaming a few times a month, could you spin up a Hetzner cloud server with dedicated cores and take advantage of the 10gbps connection, then spin it down when you're done?

• @bgerard said:
    Does it need to be a dedicated server? If you only do the streaming a few times a month, could you spin up a Hetzner cloud server with dedicated cores and take advantage of the 10gbps connection, then spin it down when you're done?

Its actually is a smart idea, they also do hourly billing so I could save some money.
    But this is what stops me, from their FAQ:

The host systems for our Cloud instances all have a redundant 10 Gbits connection. This connection is shared by all instances on the host. We do not offer bandwidth guarantees for our Cloud servers, but you can expect about 300-500 Mbits.

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited October 2023

@Stiffsson said:

@bgerard said:
    Does it need to be a dedicated server? If you only do the streaming a few times a month, could you spin up a Hetzner cloud server with dedicated cores and take advantage of the 10gbps connection, then spin it down when you're done?

Its actually is a smart idea, they also do hourly billing so I could save some money.
    But this is what stops me, from their FAQ:

The host systems for our Cloud instances all have a redundant 10 Gbits connection. This connection is shared by all instances on the host. We do not offer bandwidth guarantees for our Cloud servers, but you can expect about 300-500 Mbits.

Yeah, you'd have to do some testing, I imagine network performance is better for the servers with dedicated cores as you can fit fewer instances on the node. An alternative solution would be horizontally scaling with a load balancer, you provide a stream to multiple cloud instances and consumers stream from those, that way you're never limited by the bandwidth of a single server. A little bit of terraform and ansible and you could probably spin the whole setup up when you want to stream and then destroy it when you're done.

• WhiteRoseGWhiteRoseG Member
    edited October 2023

I know NETCup Root Servers got 2.5Gbps port they have datacenter in Austria/Vienna and Germany, Traffic flatrate

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    I know NETCup Root Servers got 2.5Gbps port they have datacenter in Austria/Vienna and Germany, Traffic flatrate

120TB limit, after that 200Mbps throttle.
    Its flatrate cause you dont pay extra, but its clearly limited.

• @AXYZE said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

He is doing 25tb outbound now, so think he is in the clear then.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2023

@Stiffsson have you thought about putting small servers as CDN? You can easily add more servers then and you can get best routing to every viewer.

Big servers for streaming are bad solution, even if you get 10Gbps port you may never achieve that cause some points in network are congested.

Im currently maintaining infra for VoD sites and we had this issue on one site with big OVH 5Gbps server (bad route to major ISP and 400Mbps max in peak hours) and decided to go with smaller ones and load balance between them.

For small VPSes I recommend
    Avoro, Hetzner, netcup, Alwyzon, BuyVM, OVH.

Alwyzon has great offer right now, 3Gbps network (you can really hit these speeds), Zen3 cores, 50TB traffic for very low price. Routing is top notch in my experience, better than Hetz/netcup, but YMMV.

Avoro has 10Gbit on budget, seemigly unlimited, but I didnt test it too much so idk if there are some limits...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2023

@WhiteRoseG said:

@AXYZE said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

He is doing 25tb outbound now, so think he is in the clear then.

Yes, but Im just point that out for anyone that reads thats and thinks there is no limits:)

Thanked by 1WhiteRoseG
  • nszervernszerver Member
    edited October 2023

OVH
    OR
    servercore.com