Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

email relay feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

email relay feedback

so I was wanting to learn about setting up SMTP / email relay to manage spam.

When running a search here, seems like the general consensus is "cpanel w/ mailchannels".

I am trying to utilize more open source solutions; and also wonder if setting up cpanel is overkill for simply wanting to relay email messages.

Is there software that can be manually installed? or what options are there when on a budget?

Comments

• MailChannels is only needed if you need outbound filtering (i.e. you don't trust everyone sending emails) -- a cheaper relay is something like SES if you're just using it for yourself.

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • You could try Postfix, there's a nice guide on google to tell you how to setup for relay server.

If you need a control panel, try cloudpanel. It is nice & free, it doesn't send emails, but it installs postfix for you. The rest is on your own :D

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • what is SES?

• damn. full self hosted email. appreciate the help and link.

just wish everything didnt feel like overkill

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • bamboo4409bamboo4409 Member
    edited October 2023

Has anyone self-hosted ADDY.IO ?

edit only ask bcuz I use BitWarden and looks like this is supported

• cupcakecupcake Member
    edited October 2023

Addy.io, simplelogin, firefox relay. Many to choose from. Those can be selfhosted.

But for just simple incoming relay, even something like cloudflare free mail relay works just fine.

While those things aren't a full blown email, they're still technically sending mail so the usual stuff for a full blown mail were also needed; dkim, dmarc, spf, rdns, clean ip, port 25 etc etc. Selfhosting mail isn't something I'm keen on doing till this day so i just yolo use cloudflare free relay. I also use bitwarden and the catchall username generator works fine to generate [email protected]

Thanked by 2bamboo4409 0xC7
  • @cupcake said:
    Addy.io, simplelogin, firefox relay. Many to choose from. Those can be selfhosted.

But for just simple incoming relay, even something like cloudflare free mail relay works just fine.

While those things aren't a full blown email, they're still technically sending mail so the usual stuff for a full blown mail were also needed; dkim, dmarc, spf, rdns, clean ip, port 25 etc etc. Selfhosting mail isn't something I'm keen on doing till this day so i just yolo use cloudflare free relay. I also use bitwarden and the catchall username generator works fine to generate [email protected]

can this be integrated into bitwarden?

• I also don't understand how to add a subdomain like: spam.my0.net because it will not allow me

• @bamboo4409 said:

can this be integrated into bitwarden?

Define "this"? Too vague to even assumed what you meant.

• I'm just looking at this:

https://snipboard.io/rgHnfF.jpg

• cupcakecupcake Member
    edited October 2023

Its self explanatory there.

Pick catchall if you wan't randomize catchall. It'll asked for your domain name, input it. No further setup needed for catchall no api keys etc, its the simplest of them all.

Pick addy.io and supply it with addy.io api keys, same with others; simplelogin, fastmail etc.

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • must it work with your own domain?

You can also do it with @duck.com addresses for free, you just need the API token for your account

Thanked by 2ElonBezos bamboo4409