Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glibc vulnerability "Looney Tunables" CVE-2023-4911
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Glibc vulnerability "Looney Tunables" CVE-2023-4911

tjntjn Member

A buffer overflow was discovered in the GNU C Library's dynamic loader ld.so while processing the GLIBC_TUNABLES environment variable. This issue could allow a local attacker to use maliciously crafted GLIBC_TUNABLES environment variables when launching binaries with SUID permission to execute code with elevated privileges.

Comments

• Is this theoretically exploitable or in real world?

• tjntjn Member

From what I've read/my understanding, it seems trivial for a local attacker to gain root privileges and manipulate data.

So I guess it depends on your threat model, and if your machines have several users or just administrators.

The main concern with this one I think is glibc's prevalence on so many Linux based systems.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited October 2023

It's extremely easily exploitable for any executable that is SUID, so it's LPE

• At least only new executions are affected so no need to reboot

• davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

The beauty of C99 keeps on giving.

Is this the correct way to fix it on Debian? apt-get install libc-bin=2.36-9+deb12u3.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@davide said:
    The beauty of C99 keeps on giving.

Is this the correct way to fix it on Debian? apt-get install libc-bin=2.36-9+deb12u3.

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/glibc
    Usually just apt-get depends on your debian version.

Buster seems still be unpatched.

Thanked by 2Mumbly 0xC7