Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have any idle dedicated servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have any idle dedicated servers?

BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

Many of you have a lot of idle VPS'ses. But what about dedicated servers?

Do you have any dedis, and if so, are you idling them?
What is your most expensive dedi?

Idle dedis
  1. Do you have any dedicated servers at all56 votes
    1. Yes
      71.43%
    2. No
      28.57%
  2. Do you idle them?56 votes
    1. Yes, but not all
      37.50%
    2. Yes, I idle all dedis
      19.64%
    3. No, I don't idle them / I don't have a dedi
      42.86%

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My dedi is 192.168.5.5 located in my closet.
    It's idling at the moment.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • Several years ago had two old HP servers which I kept in my moms basement (lol). One of which was idle for almost a month (kind of stability testing)

• I've got one that's been idle for about a month, and will be idle for another 1-2 months. I've got a project in mind for it, but I just don't have the time to get everything set up and start on it until another project finishes up. I'd been planning to pick up something from MrRadic for more than a year and just could never find a good deal in my preferred location when I needed it, then when deadipath ate it, I happened to catch exactly what I was looking for. I knew it'd sit idle for a bit when I ordered it, but at least I don't have to worry about waiting for stock when I'm actually ready and waiting.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yes, I had an i5 16gig 2TB HDD dedi idle with just an irc bouncer on it for a while.
    was just 8.99€/m though, could not let that one go.

However, I ended up trading this machine in for a xeon, 32gig, 2TB SSD for 15€/m.
    But as of today, no single dedi is on idle.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • Had one (OVH KS-LE-1) idle for nearly a year, bought it because it was cheap and had a project in mind... but haven't had time to get it done so it's been a bit of a waste of money so far.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm the dedicated idler pro