Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Anti-DDoS bypassed using Cloudflare - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Anti-DDoS bypassed using Cloudflare

2»

Comments

• @Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@tentor said:

@Neoon said: Despite cloudflares size they are unable to negotiate or unwilling to get peering from certain ISP's.

Can you name a few? Haven't heard of such issues.

Which makes everyone that uses that ISP, everything that is behind CF is going to suck and be slow.

Haven't had such issues

It’s obviously a personal issue he’s having and therefore extremely important to everyone

No, I use cloudflare for a few things, however as of right now, without VPN, not really usable.

So I was right; you’re having connection issues

How many % of people do you think have serious connection issues to CF protected websites as of now?

Given the ISP's size, a few million.
    That is just one ISP.

However, not everything might be congested at once.
    You might be lucky in a certain location or cloudflare might reroute you, into other countries, what they do right now.

They often reroute a lot of locations

• Cloudflare has done a ton of marketing and there's a lot of gullible people on the Internet.

They've managed to convince a large swath of the Internet that if you don't use CloudFlare, then your website is just going to be horrible and under constant attack.

I guess I just have too much high school physics in me. How is adding an intermediary between you and your website going to speed up the connection to that website? The shortest path between two points is a straight line.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

@tentor said:

@allnetstore said:
    So the victim's origin server would just emit its data as long as the request comes from CF servers with CF's client cert, without first checking the requested hostname?

I often see misconfigured web servers replying to https://IPaddress/ with a first website hosted at the server.

This is actually a "feature" of some panels. Interworx does this, it defaults to a site on the server if you access the IP. Rather silly if you ask me, but it's easily disabled.

• babywhalebabywhale Member
    edited October 2023

@sparek said:
    I guess I just have too much high school physics in me. How is adding an intermediary between you and your website going to speed up the connection to that website? The shortest path between two points is a straight line.

i get what your saying but there cdn can have cached pages of your website so if a cloudflare server is closer to the client then the original server then the purpose is to load the page faster, well atleast thats my understanding of it.

• GhtGht Member

This type of bypasses has years that are Active and you all know this time and talk about it ? So weird

• What about the DNS Only? Does it get problems with peering though?

• Once got an IP address by OVH that was previously used as an origin for several thousand webspam seo domains configured in CF, so that IP got thousands of requests by CF reverse proxy IPs. Pretty much noise on the network.

Now I don't mind blocking all those stupid CF IP Ranges but this would be a bad situation if that IP should have been used as a (new) CF origin. Pretty sad that they don't check the authority of an IP used as origin.

In regard to congestion discussion: if you want to target the German market and some others in the EU (esp. locations where a big German ISP is big): don't use CF. (E.g. someone recently posted problems with CF in Hungary.)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2023

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@tentor said:

@Neoon said: Despite cloudflares size they are unable to negotiate or unwilling to get peering from certain ISP's.

Which makes everyone that uses that ISP, everything that is behind CF is going to suck and be slow.

Haven't had such issues

It’s obviously a personal issue he’s having and therefore extremely important to everyone

No, I use cloudflare for a few things, however as of right now, without VPN, not really usable.

How many % of people do you think have serious connection issues to CF protected websites as of now?

That is just one ISP.

You might be lucky in a certain location or cloudflare might reroute you, into other countries, what they do right now.

Kinda funny though, you goal as CDN is to have the best connection and lowest latency.
    Yet, they centralize everything, and reroute you across Europe, despite having a bunch of PoP's here.
    Closest is 4ms away, yet avoided most of the time until you tap into a VPN.

• emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

@emgh said:

@tentor said:

Haven't had such issues

That is just one ISP.

Kinda funny though, you goal as CDN is to have the best connection and lowest latency.
    Yet, they centralize everything, and reroute you across Europe, despite having a bunch of PoP's here.
    Closest is 4ms away, yet avoided most of the time until you tap into a VPN.

One of the lowest latency DNS/CDN services worldwide

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • @sparek said:

The shortest path between two points is a straight line.

On the Euclidean plane, sure. On the Internet, you only have a straight line to your switch/router. Beyond that, it's just connected dots. How the dots are connected affects the speed, but you have no control over that. In contrast, CF, if allowed to play as intermediary, has some control in this respect.

Thanked by 2dystopia emgh
  • @babywhale said:
    i get what your saying but there cdn can have cached pages of your website so if a cloudflare server is closer to the client then the original server then the purpose is to load the page faster, well atleast thats my understanding of it.

The CDN is going to have cached pages... so not necessarily the up to date version of the website data.

Sure, if the CDN has a POP closer to your location then it can be faster to retrieve that cached copy from that POP. But how much does that really affect a lot of the traffic? And the expense of only seeing a cached copy.

If you're website is hosted on a server in Washington, DC and you have visitors accessing your website from India, then a CDN POP that's closer to India might serve the website faster. But if the majority of your visitors are in India... why not just host the website in India?

• @sparek that’s why you typically don’t serve HTML from the CDN (although you can, and force update it)

• Remember Cloudflare CDN has Tiered Caching that folks should enable --it's available on all plans. For Enterprise, they also have Regional Tiered Cache :)

• @sparek said: But how much does that really affect a lot of the traffic? And the expense of only seeing a cached copy.

The cached resources in CDNs like scripts, css, etc can be in the critical path and improve page load times even if the html itself is fetched dynamically. Or as others have mentioned you can use a CDN in "push" fashion so even dynamic resources are pushed to the edge instead of fetched on demand (going to backend) or fetched periodically by cloudflare.

Thanked by 1emgh