Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RefinedHost scamming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RefinedHost scamming?

Welp, thinking I just got scammed by @RefinedHost (maybe?)

I created an account, bought the VPS, it was pending all was good.

I tried to log back in with the same info that I signed up with ofc, and the password is wrong :neutral:

Tried to reset my password (4 times) and still have yet to get an email regarding the password reset.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2023

Assuming their emails and yours both work fine to send and receive the password reset emails, one of these is likely true:

1. They deleted the account.
    2. They changed the account email.
    3. You forgot what email you signed up with.
    4. You had a typo in the email you signed up with.

Try not to quickly dismiss 3 or 4, this is very common and I’ve only once met a user that thought they did it rather than first assumed the fault was mine. Your trust in yourself is almost always greater than it deserves, this is normal human behavior.

• cbfcbf Member

@jar said:
    Assuming their emails and yours both work fine to send and receive the password reset emails, one of these is likely true:

Try not to quickly dismiss 3 or 4, this is very common and I’ve only once met a user that thought they did it rather than first assumed the fault was mine. Your trust in yourself is almost always greater than it deserves, this is normal human behavior.

I save all login info in a 3rd party password manager, so I know it's not my info that's wrong

I tried to register again using the same email and it says "A user already exists with that email address"

and deleting the account without warning while also charging me doesn't seem likely

Thanked by 1jar
  • Problems related to mail then.

Thanked by 1jar

@cbf said:

@jar said:

I save all login info in a 3rd party password manager, so I know it's not my info that's wrong

I tried to register again using the same email and it says "A user already exists with that email address"

and deleting the account without warning while also charging me doesn't seem likely

Aye, if the email is already in the DB then @malignify is right. It’s likely an email issue that you’re not getting the password reset.

• Refined scam :D

Thanked by 1kait
  • cbfcbf Member

@jar said:

@cbf said:

@jar said:

Aye, if the email is already in the DB then @malignify is right. It’s likely an email issue that you’re not getting the password reset.

Just weird how my login was working, but now that I'm logged out the password wouldn't be working

but I get what you're saying, hopefully it's fixed tomorrow?

Thanked by 1jar

@cbf said:

@jar said:

@cbf said:

@jar said:

Just weird how my login was working, but now that I'm logged out the password wouldn't be working

Yeah, that part is interesting. Maybe @RefinedHost will get this ping.

Thanked by 1cbf
  • cbfcbf Member

@jar said:

@cbf said:

@jar said:

@cbf said:

@jar said:

Yeah, that part is interesting. Maybe @RefinedHost will get this ping.

Might be out of luck here LOL, last active in July

Thanked by 1jar
  • Look at the comments on their most recent thread. Looks like an exit scam/deadpooled host.

• Do you used randomly generated super secret password?
    if so, make sure your password don't have any breaking char

• @Ivan said:
    Look at the comments on their most recent thread. Looks like an exit scam/deadpooled host.

Refined host but unrefined exit scam maneuver.

• I have same issue at some provider here, but after send email to support everything goes right and I got my reset password.

• cbfcbf Member

@prince18 said:
    Do you used randomly generated super secret password?

Kind of, I have my own python script to generate super secret passwords and it gets saved to a text file then I put it in my password manager

• cbfcbf Member

@ailice said:
    I have same issue at some provider here, but after send email to support everything goes right and I got my reset password.

Wish I could, but not even their contact us works lol

• @cbf said:

@ailice said:
    I have same issue at some provider here, but after send email to support everything goes right and I got my reset password.

Just submit a ticket.

• I also encountered a very big problem with refinedhost, you can read my post

• @cbf said:

@prince18 said:

Kind of, I have my own python script to generate super secret passwords and it gets saved to a text file then I put it in my password manager

Then pretty sure you are feeding the data from string module then passing it to secrets or random or whatever you use like string.ascii_letters + string.digits + string.punctuation. If you are doing this, then chances are high that because once i had the same issue with my Nextcloud. i am using a random password generated via secrets and passing data like that. The first time it's fine, but when i paste it next time from my Bitwarden, poof, it's not working

• @cbf said:

@prince18 said:

"And another mistake: you are using 'super secret' password, not 'super secret and complicated password

• @cbf said:

@ailice said:

That's surely a thing to worry about. Try registering with a different email and see what happens.

• cbfcbf Member

Was able to get access recently. They said they just recently migrated (seems like they've said it before).

• cbfcbf Member

@prince18 said:

@cbf said:

@prince18 said:

"And another mistake: you are using 'super secret' password, not 'super secret and complicated password

I mean it's a super complicated/secret password, each password I generate with the script is different ofc

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Was it pending for verification?

• cbfcbf Member

@Arkas said:
    Was it pending for verification?

No clue sadly since I had no access to the account :(

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Here's what you can try.

1. Submit a ticket to Support.
    2. Use the email you registered with, or the one where you received your server details.
    3. In the ticket, mention that you're not able to log into your account and you're not receiving password reset emails.
  • ercanercan Member

They are a superb crap hosting company. I have a support ticket and they never reply. I do not know what to do. My shared hosting is there unreachable and I am just waiting for an answer from those lazy guys.

• @ercan said:
    I do not know what to do.

Cancel.

• ercanercan Member

@totally_not_banned said:

@ercan said:
    I do not know what to do.

Cancel.

Yes I will but this community should be careful about them too. And Mods/Admins please do not let them start an offer here.