Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Falkon browser on LowEndTalk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Falkon browser on LowEndTalk

I'm trying the Falkon web browser, so far it's cool and fast. It comes with a limited set of available plugins, about less than 20, of which AdBlock Plus is pre-installed. I installed a few black lists for AdBlock Plus but I cannot get rid of the crappy ads on LET:

Since this seems to be a mostly-vanilla AdBlock Plus addon, how would I solve this and restore my sanity?

Comments

• By using modern hardware & Google Chrome

Thanked by 1niranjan
  • davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

Bleah I don't like Chrome.

Falkon is the medicine that stops me from puking on each web page I open. Its GUI is that terrible really.

Maybe not a constructive comment but we all kinda know the gradual stupidification suffered by all major apps software during the past decade.

• Yeah, kind of agree, each time Microsoft tries to force me to login or to call my programs ”apps” I want to go Arch & Vim

Thanked by 1Zyra
  • I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't know if it's that good of an idea asking how to block LET ads... on LET.....

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @alfatarsos said:
    I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't know if it's that good of an idea asking how to block LET ads... on LET.....

We'll see :D

Thanked by 1alfatarsos
  • You can use content filters to block any element in the page using the tags and css selectors:
    https://help.adblockplus.org/hc/en-us/articles/360062733293#content-filters

• You might as well just use another chromium based browser, because that's what Falkon is.

• @davide said:
    Bleah I don't like Chrome.

Falkon is the medicine that stops me from puking on each web page I open. Its GUI is that terrible really.

Maybe not a constructive comment but we all kinda know the gradual stupidification suffered by all major apps software during the past decade.

Falkon is based on Chromium. Lmao.

• Firefox + ublock master race.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2023

@alfatarsos said:
    I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't know if it's that good of an idea asking how to block LET ads... on LET.....

I use uBlock Origin to block all ads.

uBlock Origin seems to be using this: https://filterlists.com/ in addition to a few others. I don't know I don't manage it to that level of granularity.

This also seems to get rid of the bottom banner ad.

There it is. Noone cares. Yeah it's "looked down on" but noone's going to stop you from talking about ad blocking on LET.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@alfatarsos said:

uBlock Origin seems to be using this: https://filterlists.com/ in addition to a few others. I don't know I don't manage it to that level of granularity.

This also seems to get rid of the bottom banner ad.

There it is. Noone cares. Yeah it's "looked down on" but noone's going to stop you from talking about ad blocking on LET.

I personally think that uBlock Origin uses some Website Hackery to remove ads. Or there's kinda no way any normal adblock can skip YouTube Ads.

• falkon looks interesting...

anyway:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Falkon/3.1.0 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

• davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:

I had uBlock Origin on Chromium, it worked well, blocking all the unsanitary junk: ads, EU cookie popups, in-page popups and other crap. But its lists fail to import on Adblok Plus on Falkon, don't know why, perhaps the rules grammar is somewhat different. So I manually copy-pasted some of its individual rules into Falkon, and all seems working, I haven't seen any ad so far.

By the way, how long does it take to ${your_browser} to open the browsing history? On this notebook Chromium wants 5 seconds, yet Falkon takes ~100ms. I had to think twice before opening the browsing history on Chromium.

• davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

@hyperblast said:
    falkon looks interesting...

anyway:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Falkon/3.1.0 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

On Debian mine is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Falkon/23.08.1 QtWebEngine/5.15.13 Chrome/87.0.4280.144 Safari/537.36

The raison d’être is the better-organized GUI and speed, not the salvation of the soul from Satan.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2023

@davide said:

@hyperblast said:
    falkon looks interesting...

anyway:

On Debian mine is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Falkon/23.08.1 QtWebEngine/5.15.13 Chrome/87.0.4280.144 Safari/537.36

The raison d’être is the better-organized GUI and speed, not the salvation of the soul from Satan.

If you want the old Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or Netscape Navigator GUI, you can get that in both Chrome and Firefox or with their forks. Falcon is a hobbyist browser and has many issues. Naturally adblocking is one of them.

Try Waterfox or SeaMonkey or Pale Moon.

• davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

@stefeman said:
    Try Waterfox or SeaMonkey or Pale Moon.

I'm settled on Falkon for now.

Don't know about Waterfox or Seamonkey, but the Palemoon source code for linux has not been touched since its fork from Firefox.

Until a few years ago Firefox was in the Guinness World Records for its yearly tonnage of RCE bugs. The forks based on those old versions shall not be touched.

• the interesting thing in this topic is that OP is looking for ways to block ads on LET and I don't see any sign of moderators yet.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@davide said: I cannot get rid of the crappy ads on LET

@davide said: Bleah I don't like Chrome. Falkon is the medicine that stops me from puking on each web page I open. Its GUI is that terrible really.

This seems rather hyperbolic.

@davide said: By the way, how long does it take to ${your_browser} to open the browsing history?

On my Macbook Pro it's nearly instant...too fast for me to care about. It goes back months.

@davide said: On this notebook Chromium wants 5 seconds, yet Falkon takes ~100ms. I had to think twice before opening the browsing history on Chromium.

@davide said: I'm trying the Falkon web browser

Perhaps you have less history with Falkon?

• davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

@raindog308 said:
    Perhaps you have less history with Falkon?

Speed is biased for newly-installed browsers with a fresh user profile. But the Chrome algorithms are atrocious at handling the browsing history; mass-deleting history entries is notoriously slow on Chrome.

Whatever. I like the Falkon GUI better, it has an early 2000's design with better semantic clarity over the placement of menu and sub-menu entries. And so far it's faster.

I've browsed thru the source code of Falkon, the plugins are written in c++ and compiled. That also explains the speed.

• First patch published!

I also added a "play video with MPV" entry to the right-click menu!

And I made the compiled-in ad block (somewhat) compatible with the uBlock Origin lists!

It's a fucking cool browser! Try it!!

To the moon! 🚀

Thanked by 1loay
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The browser is amazing.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@stefeman said: Pale Moon

Pale Moon never worked well for me. First, a resource hog, then frequent stalling, i.e. just sits there doing nothing then, when it actually does something, slow af.
    I used it some years ago when was new and gave it the benefit of the doubt but lately has been bloated way too much for my taste.

• @Maounique said:

Pale Moon never worked well for me. First, a resource hog, then frequent stalling, i.e. just sits there doing nothing then, when it actually does something, slow af.
    I used it some years ago when was new and gave it the benefit of the doubt but lately has been bloated way too much for my taste.

if you like a lean browser without any fancy extensions, try k-melon. After testing many like palemoon K-Melon is the one which uses least amount of resources.

• @sreekanth850 said:

@Maounique said:

if you like a lean browser without any fancy extensions, try k-melon. After testing many like palemoon K-Melon is the one which uses least amount of resources.

I recommend Falkon.

edited October 2023

@sreekanth850 said:

@Maounique said:

I used k-meleon many years ago when it came out and had major issues at rendering pages. I will try again, see if it improved.

Falkon I use in very low end laptops and vms, it is fine for frugal use.

• davidedavide Member
    edited October 2023

@Maounique said:
    it is fine for frugal use.

Frugal this dick, its better organized GUI and its source code that is simple to edit and compile make it a more productive browser than the mainstream crap browser apps. Key point here is that the mainstream crap browser apps are apps, meaning, consumer-oriented junk software. With Chrome it's a pain in the scrotum to edit the URL, it hides the www prefix and scheme, and the settings page is an unsorted pile of random widgets contrived by the mad hatter of the Wonderland.

Edit:

Look how cool it is!
    Now I added a dark mode script to turn the pages dark, published here: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/16xgdep/dark_mode_for_falkon/

Bing, OMG... If I have to use a SE that is not google, I would put duckduckgo.

• Google has turned into such a SEO spam/affiliate cesspool that even Bing now shines on it. I think nobody likes the search engines of today.