Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pCloud Lifetime on sale again! 500GB for 139€ - 2TB for 279€ - 10TB for 890€
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

pCloud Lifetime on sale again! 500GB for 139€ - 2TB for 279€ - 10TB for 890€

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited October 2023 in General

pCloud Lifetime Cloud Storage (EU/US locations; based in Switzerland;founded in 2013) is on sale again. I've been with them for a few years now iirc and they've been great so far. Along with Koofr my go-to cloud storage atm. Only missing rclone which Koofr provides.

https://landing.pcloud.com/de/Germany2023

Thanked by 1anda

Comments

• cool

• rclone works with pCloud https://rclone.org/pcloud/

Thanked by 2Ympker Daniel15
  • @skippy said:
    rclone works with pCloud https://rclone.org/pcloud/

Good to know! Thanks :)

• Seems like same prices as their other sales.

pCloud is definitely legit, and rclone works awesome.
    I wouldn't place much trust in providers without an API for rclone. They always seem to be of questionable nature...

+1 for Koofr too. They also seem very trustworthy.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Foxx said:
    Seems like same prices as their other sales.

I wouldn't place much trust in providers without an API for rclone. They always seem to be of questionable nature...

Pcloud has had a history of deleting user accounts suddenly with no channel for recourse.

• Not only that but I sincerely doubt of a "lifetime" model, especially at those prices, compared to having a HDD colocated on any kind of hosting, or even hosting one of your own... 10TB at 890 USD when those HDDs are on the 150-250 USD range could pay colocation and expenses for many, many years.

And we don't know when it will go out of business or changes pricing structure to pay for hosting the HDDs themselves.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • This looks like the same sale they always have...

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2023

@Daniel15 said:
    This looks like the same sale they always have...

I think it's normally a tad more expensive, however I haven't checked in a while. However, most of their sales do seem to have this pricing.

@alfatarsos said:
    Not only that but I sincerely doubt of a "lifetime" model, especially at those prices, compared to having a HDD colocated on any kind of hosting, or even hosting one of your own... 10TB at 890 USD when those HDDs are on the 150-250 USD range could pay colocation and expenses for many, many years.

And we don't know when it will go out of business or changes pricing structure to pay for hosting the HDDs themselves.

Well, they have been around for quite a while and I don't sign up for services assuming they will shut down (any time soon). That doesn't mean, I don't keep backups in case they do.

• I made a pCloud account but I don't like it, therefore I have not bought into their lifetime packages.

I know how to encrypt my data, but they ask extra for their encryption, as if their employees or their AI already has access to all my data and I would clearly need such protection. By advertising something like this, it is like they imply my data is not safe from prying eyes and scripts. I have to pay €150 extra just to have access to a "crypto folder"? Ouch!

• @default said:
    I made a pCloud account but I don't like it, therefore I have not bought into their lifetime packages.

I know how to encrypt my data, but they ask extra for their encryption, as if their employees or their AI already has access to all my data and I would clearly need such protection. By advertising something like this, it is like they imply my data is not safe from prying eyes and scripts. I have to pay €150 extra just to have access to a "crypto folder"? Ouch!

I'm using cryptomator and couldn't be happier. A cloud based in European datacenters from an established company from Switzerland at a one-off price is a gamble I am willing to take. That said, it's an individual decision, of course.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2023

@Ympker said:
    [...] from an established company from Switzerland [...]

About that one I found an interesting comment from some Reddit detective.

Thanked by 2Ympker homelabber
  • One can always stick with Koofr. Those people don't hide who they are :) A lot of interviews, videos, workshops, etc ... since 2013.

https://mladipodjetnik.si/podjetniski-koticek/mp-intervju/mp-intervju-damjan-maticic-koofr

https://www.crunchbase.com/person/damjan-maticic

etc...

• @Astro said:

@Foxx said:
    Seems like same prices as their other sales.

Pcloud has had a history of deleting user accounts suddenly with no channel for recourse.

Let's keep things fair when putting out such claims.

They have had history of deleting accounts, which were breaking their terms of service.

The most common occurance, is people hosting DMCA protected content in their drive, and sharing this with others.
    pCloud does not scan files that are just in your drive, but once you make them public (via sharing) they will check the files just to make sure.
    And you're right; Then it's a 1-strike-out rule, which sucks, but doesn't seem that unjustified.

When I said they were legit, I was more comparing them to sites like Degoo and PrismDrive, which are also known for doing Lifetime storage deals.

With Degoo, they are scanning every single file you ever upload, without question, and if the hash matches something that's in their filters (which god knows who compiled) you'll be banned immediately (though they do give a chance for appeal for false flags).

With Degoo it basically seems they are doing whatever they can do ban lifetime-membership holders from their site. Because yeah, once you've paid, you're no longer a customer, but rather just a liability.

And with PrismDrive they just made it impossible to actually upload, throttling their servers to kb/s speeds, which makes it impossible to ever fill up their tens of terabyte offers.
    I've also read that it was created by a guy who constantly creates and closes such storage sites, just to run away with the money.

Compared to sites like these, I think pCloud is a fairly good option.
    I'm encrypting everything myself before it leaves my machine though, but that's just because I don't like to have family photos available, unencrypted, anywhere else than on hard drives I own.
    You never know what can happen, and rclone makes it really easy to completely encrypt everything.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2023

@default said:

@Ympker said:
    [...] from an established company from Switzerland [...]

About that one I found an interesting comment from some Reddit detective.

Interesting find indeed, but since the company is registered in Switzerland (according to crunchbase and other similar sites https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/pcloud ) I would argue that Switzerland law and regulations still apply even if it just a letterbox-company. Many companies are also using Finnish OMÜ (remember Bulletvpn? :p ) to hide that they aren't from Europe and use the finnish digitalisation to found their company there. In a similar way, finnish law would apply then, I guess. Then again, not a legal expert so take that with a grain of salt.

I can totally understand when people don't want to do business with pCloud, but I'd argue there are "worse" options out there. Afterall, you'd need to decide for yourself what works for you. pCloud works for my purposes so far and I'm counting on them to continue doing so :)

Thanked by 1Foxx
  • TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited October 2023

@Mumbly said:
    One can always stick with Koofr. Those people don't hide who they are :) A lot of interviews, videos, workshops, etc ... since 2013.

https://mladipodjetnik.si/podjetniski-koticek/mp-intervju/mp-intervju-damjan-maticic-koofr

etc...

I believe Koofr increased their 1TB lifetime to $159 recently, and removed all lesser storage (and $) options.

• @TimRoo said:

@Mumbly said:
    One can always stick with Koofr. Those people don't hide who they are :) A lot of interviews, videos, workshops, etc ... since 2013.

etc...

I believe Koofr increased their 1TB lifetime to $159 recently, and removed all lesser storage (and $) options.

I don't think that's Koofr doing but simply part of a Stacksocial sale. 250GB and 100GB deals are sold out, just a matter of time when 1TB also go.

Koofr rep said some time ago that the number of lifetime "coupons" available for Stacksocial is limited and once they're gone, they're gone. Koofr by itself don't sell lifetime packages.

Thanked by 2TimRoo Foxx
  • @TimRoo said:

@Mumbly said:

etc...

Use coupon KOOFR on Stacksocial so you can grab a 1TB lifetime for about $120. That code was reactivated recently.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2023

@OpenNet said:
    Use coupon KOOFR on Stacksocial so you can grab a 1TB lifetime for about $120. That code was reactivated recently.

Anybody who wants it should grab it. Stacksocial increased price a month ago from $140 to $160. That could be a signal with regards to remaining stock.

Thanked by 2OpenNet TimRoo
  • @Ympker said:
    Many companies are also using Finnish OMÜ (remember Bulletvpn? :p )

Can you elaborate a bit?
    I was interested in BulletVPN for a while, and planned to see what they would offer next Black Friday, since their Trustpilot is good.
    But there may be some dirt to dig up...

@Mumbly said:
    Koofr rep said some time ago that the number of lifetime "coupons" available for Stacksocial is limited and once they're gone, they're gone. Koofr by itself don't sell lifetime packages.

@OpenNet said:

Man, how awesome is this place?
    These types of posts is exactly what I've been looking for for a long time.

Glad to finally be among like-minded peeps - Cheers!

• @Foxx said:

@Ympker said:

Can you elaborate a bit?
    I was interested in BulletVPN for a while, and planned to see what they would offer next Black Friday, since their Trustpilot is good.

*I meant Estonian OÜ not Finnish OMÜ (the latter company form doesn't exist afaik)

Here is some info on BulletVPN company: https://www.inforegister.ee/en/12832651-NIXWORKS-OU

I don't remember the details, but I think I looked at this with another LET member a while back and it was looking a bit sketchy. Nothing "bad" to say about the company, just that they may be using OÜ to suggest they are from Europe while the headquarters may be elsewhere than indicated in the report.

@Mumbly said:

@OpenNet said:

Man, how awesome is this place?
    These types of posts is exactly what I've been looking for for a long time.

Glad to finally be among like-minded peeps - Cheers!

• FoxxFoxx Member
    edited October 2023

@Ympker said:

@Foxx said:

@Ympker said:

Can you elaborate a bit?

*I meant Estonian OÜ not Finnish OMÜ (the latter company form doesn't exist afaik)

Here is some info on BulletVPN company: https://www.inforegister.ee/en/12832651-NIXWORKS-OU

I don't remember the details, but I think I looked at this with another LET member a while back and it was looking a bit sketchy. Nothing "bad" to say about the company, just that they may be using OÜ to suggest they are from Europe while the headquarters may be elsewhere than indicated in the report.

Thanks for the update.

Quite interesting that you already did some detective work, love digging up some dirt on these companies, heh.

So, from what I can see in the link you sent, the guy registered the company in Estonia, whilest being a resident in Cyprus.

I actually typed the above message a while ago, but never got around to sending it.
    Today I was looking at another Lifetime VPN, and decided to do a little bit of detective work myself, in order to provide something useful for the discussion.

The VPN in question is RealVPN, and right from the get-go you can smell something fishy with this one.

The name is odd, to say the last. The logo is some clip-art from 2005. The website reeks of template.
    But, the thing that smells the most of fish, is the company behind; Security Tech OÜ.

You see, it's yet another OÜ. Another seemingly Estonian company.

Looking up the site on Estonia's digital registry, we see that the company has 1 employee, and a total capital of... 1€.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-20-26-e-riregister-Security-Tech-O

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-02-03-54-e-riregister-Security-Tech-O

Great.

As it turns out, this Andrii Mospan resides in Ukraine.
    I'm fairly sure this is his Linked in, which would mean he's doing remote work for US companies.
    No mention of RealVPN anywhere there. Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-30-13-Andrii-Mospan-Linked-In

The thing that peaked my interest the most though, was another small discovery on the Estonian registry.
    Because it seems that there's another contact email listed for a company called xolo.io.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-32-39-e-riregister-Security-Tech-O

And I guess this is the smoking gun I was looking for, because this seems to be the company that these people are using to set up proxy Estonian companies for their VPNs.

From their site:

Operating a solo business is significantly less efficient compared to larger companies with the resources to scale these processes.
    With Xolo, you'll be able to save time and earn more money by spending your operating hours focused on the clients you like and the work you love, and growing your business to heights you never thought possible. Pretty magical, right?

So "xolo" is actually "solo", and have a quite admirable view on solo-entrepreneurship.
    Unfortunately I don't think it's quite admirable to be out-right selling EU based businesses, just to have a seemingly better reputation.

I know that VPN companies, especially ones with Lifetime offers, are always going to be a big risk, but personally I'd be more inclined to give an Estonian based company a chance, rather than one registered in Cyprus or Ukraine.
    And with companies like Xolo, they are able to completely circumvent this precaution, whilest presumable also evading any tax obligations.
    All for the simple price of 9€ a month...

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-44-59-Prices-for-Xolo-s-local-and-global-products-Xolo-Pricing

Anyways, I think that's enough of my ramblings.
    I just felt the need to get this off my chest, now that we had already talked about this before.

I'm actually contemplating on setting up my own comparisons here on LET, with some of the more "unknown" LTD VPN vendors out there.
    Hopefully you wouldn't mind this. I promise I'm not trying to copy your gig.
    It's just that ever since I missed the Windscribe SS deal, I've been kicking myself for it, and as a punishment have decided to get every single VPN out there that does Lifetime offers in the future.
    Because why spend 5€ a month for a reputable VPN, like Mullvad or iVPN, when you can instead spend hundreds of euro chasing after the next big Windscribe, which will most likely never arrive?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Foxx said:

@Ympker said:

@Foxx said:

@Ympker said:

Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks for the update.

Quite interesting that you already did some detective work, love digging up some dirt on these companies, heh.

So, from what I can see in the link you sent, the guy registered the company in Estonia, whilest being a resident in Cyprus.

I actually typed the above message a while ago, but never got around to sending it.
    Today I was looking at another Lifetime VPN, and decided to do a little bit of detective work myself, in order to provide something useful for the discussion.

The VPN in question is RealVPN, and right from the get-go you can smell something fishy with this one.

The name is odd, to say the last. The logo is some clip-art from 2005. The website reeks of template.
    But, the thing that smells the most of fish, is the company behind; Security Tech OÜ.

You see, it's yet another OÜ. Another seemingly Estonian company.

Looking up the site on Estonia's digital registry, we see that the company has 1 employee, and a total capital of... 1€.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-20-26-e-riregister-Security-Tech-O

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-02-03-54-e-riregister-Security-Tech-O

Great.

As it turns out, this Andrii Mospan resides in Ukraine.
    I'm fairly sure this is his Linked in, which would mean he's doing remote work for US companies.
    No mention of RealVPN anywhere there. Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-30-13-Andrii-Mospan-Linked-In

The thing that peaked my interest the most though, was another small discovery on the Estonian registry.
    Because it seems that there's another contact email listed for a company called xolo.io.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-32-39-e-riregister-Security-Tech-O

And I guess this is the smoking gun I was looking for, because this seems to be the company that these people are using to set up proxy Estonian companies for their VPNs.

From their site:

Operating a solo business is significantly less efficient compared to larger companies with the resources to scale these processes.
    With Xolo, you'll be able to save time and earn more money by spending your operating hours focused on the clients you like and the work you love, and growing your business to heights you never thought possible. Pretty magical, right?

So "xolo" is actually "solo", and have a quite admirable view on solo-entrepreneurship.
    Unfortunately I don't think it's quite admirable to be out-right selling EU based businesses, just to have a seemingly better reputation.

I know that VPN companies, especially ones with Lifetime offers, are always going to be a big risk, but personally I'd be more inclined to give an Estonian based company a chance, rather than one registered in Cyprus or Ukraine.
    And with companies like Xolo, they are able to completely circumvent this precaution, whilest presumable also evading any tax obligations.
    All for the simple price of 9€ a month...

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-01-44-59-Prices-for-Xolo-s-local-and-global-products-Xolo-Pricing

Anyways, I think that's enough of my ramblings.
    I just felt the need to get this off my chest, now that we had already talked about this before.

I'm actually contemplating on setting up my own comparisons here on LET, with some of the more "unknown" LTD VPN vendors out there.
    Hopefully you wouldn't mind this. I promise I'm not trying to copy your gig.
    It's just that ever since I missed the Windscribe SS deal, I've been kicking myself for it, and as a punishment have decided to get every single VPN out there that does Lifetime offers in the future.
    Because why spend 5€ a month for a reputable VPN, like Mullvad or iVPN, when you can instead spend hundreds of euro chasing after the next big Windscribe, which will most likely never arrive?

That was an interesting read! Thanks for your contribution and the information provided :)
    I, too, would assume that some people would prefer an Estonian company over one from another country based on individual preferences like (subjective) sense of security, European location.. while the Business of selling companies/management in an attractive location is nothing new, I am always surprised to see how many companies resort to this in order to fake their residency and possibly appeal to more clients. Whether such a measure instills a sentiment of trust between client and business is another story, though.. regarding your idea of making a write-up for LET: No worries, go ahead :) It might help people of this community and "detective work" is not per sé something I enjoy much, anyway. If you were referring to my VPN LTD list/chart, don't worry either, because that's a list of the VPN LTDs I personally purchased/used, so it's individual anyway :)