Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

oneprovider server gone
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

oneprovider server gone

Discovered that my cheap ass OP server was down (IP not pinging, access not working). After contacting support they quickly came with reply which basically said: Server dead, all data lost, what you wanna do - refund or same spec server?

It was super old dedibox hosted in online/scaleway.

Sad.
Dont think I have mental strenght to continue to use them. Trust lost.

This is second dedi I lost. First one was also dedibox but with online.net directly (long time ago). So yes, hardware faults happen with these cheap boxes.

Comments

• OneProvider is crap. Stay away from them.

• I think they did not even tried to troubleshoot/recover as it will cost them more money (have to pay online/scaleway datacenter staff) instead of just giving other server or refund.

• Yh same happened to me. They can’t be bothered to investigate anything just issues a new server or refund. After that I closed my account with them.

• You get what you pay for

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @Fazzil said:
    You get what you pay for

Nope

• I've dealt with this with oneprovider probably about 6 different times over the last 4 years. Server dies due to anything, even if you're running raid 1, they will offer server replacement or refund for the previous month. I have a few dirt cheap OVH servers from Andy10gbit and never had an issue any sort of hardware components getting replaced.

• They are good just to install an seedbox on their old servers. I got two servers, one with 2TB and one with 4TB (both HDD). They were nice just because I got so much space to torrent on them and unlimited bandwith at 1gbps.

• I wish they offered something like this - you pay them X amount 1 time (price of hdd) and they guarantee that they will get brand new HDD installed on server and deduct that amount from invoices.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Super old, super cheap server. It's probably on list to be recycled into ewaste regardless, spares might not even be kept anymore.

Servers fail, no matter of the price point, hardware always fails.
    This is normal and fully to be expected, if you don't keep backups it's PEBKAC ... or well culprit found at the shiny reflective thing almost all bathrooms have.

If a node is of importance, keep backups and/or design your own high availability / recovery plan.
    No one should be expecting HA on any dedicated server (kinda technically not doable).

Dedis are "basic infrastructure" at this point, on top of which you build the level of service you need -- this include building the level of fault tolerancy you need in case of catastrophic failure of the node.

I am not trying to defend oneprovider/online/scaleway, they caused us huge issues something like 6-7 years ago. In my personal opinion they can go to deep dark place where sun doesn't shine.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Online tends to replace the entire server, even if your disk just Failed.
    Instead of replacing the broken parts.

You told them its down, they checked it apparently is broken, happens.
    They should provide you with a replacement, however, might be they don't have any.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Stop renting trashy old boxes from offline.net?

Thanked by 1rsk
  • Its from reseller, so can expect even worse support in case of problems like this. Yes, I know... bad decision.

• Could be before renewing and got abandoned. Money in pocket anyway.

• Ordered dedi from @PulsedMedia. Their offer was just right timing.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

@moodwriter said:
    Ordered dedi from @PulsedMedia. Their offer was just right timing.

Awesome to hear that ^_^
    Let us know how you enjoy it, and your feedback :)

• @PulsedMedia - thing is I totally dont have time right now, so it will be idling for 1 month at least. Going to long needed vacation far away.

@moodwriter said:
    @PulsedMedia - thing is I totally dont have time right now, so it will be idling for 1 month at least. Going to long needed vacation far away.

Whenever you have time :)

Btw, heads up -> We are more about replacing units than repairing them too, but there's a rescue mode you can always try, reinstalls etc etc.

We have in the sense similar design -> Just quickly replace rather than try to repair single units. Just plug out all the broken units and replace them at once, but get the customer up & running ASAP with new unit if there's a HW issue.

• What I can see already ping from my location to PulsedMedia server is very good - 18ms (I dont see such ping with any other providers in nl/fr, even hertzner Finland location).

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

@moodwriter said:
    What I can see already ping from my location to PulsedMedia server is very good - 18ms (I dont see such ping with any other providers in nl/fr, even hertzner Finland location).

Awesome to hear! :)

Can we bother you with traceroutes/MTR reports to see the route it went through?

• @PulsedMedia: sent you PM.

• Trace deez nuts