Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared High Speed CPU vs Dedicated Low Speed CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared High Speed CPU vs Dedicated Low Speed CPU

At the same price and other configurations, do you prefer a VPS with high speed CPU but shared (mostly CPU built for desktop) or dedicated low speed CPU (mostly built for server)?

Shared High Speed vs Dedicated Low Speed CPU
  1. Which CPU do you choose for VPS?57 votes
    1. 1 Shared "fair use" Ryzen 7950X3D vCPU (4.2GHz)
      61.40%
    2. 1 Dedicated EPYC 7702 vCPU (2.0 GHz)
      38.60%

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited September 2023

You know the only proper answer for this is: depends from use case.

If you gonna constantly use CPU you going dedicated - to not piss off your fellow neighbors and provider plus have knowledge how long things gonna take - CPU is yours and only yours, you can do the math.
    If you gonna burst from time to time and mostly idle - you want fair-use Ryzen so the short tasks you have there will run faster and back to idling for most of the time.

Thanked by 2masiqbal Patriarch
  • labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

From personal experience, 7950XD. It is such overkill for 95% of use-cases, that unless the host severely oversells the node that you should be able to get most of the performance of the core.

I have 3 full nodes running, and the overall CPU usage rarely exceeds 20% and averages around 12% usage.

• Sharing CPUs with others not only saves energy but also benefits the environment.

Thanked by 2masiqbal Calin
  • masiqbalmasiqbal Member
    edited September 2023

@JabJab said:
    You know the only proper answer for this is: depends from use case.

Maybe the question should be: what is your most use case?

• @labze said:
    From personal experience, 7950XD. It is such overkill for 95% of use-cases, that unless the host severely oversells the node that you should be able to get most of the performance of the core.

I have 3 full nodes running, and the overall CPU usage rarely exceeds 20% and averages around 12% usage.

Compared to EPYC, Ryzen has little max memory size. It is easier to predict if the host offers dedicated RAM to each VPS.

• @masiqbal said:
    At the same price and other configurations, do you prefer a VPS with high speed CPU but shared (mostly CPU built for desktop) or dedicated low speed CPU (mostly built for server)?

I will pick where average utilization of cpu core 35-40% is permitted. That works in most of the use cases.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • boringHustlerboringHustler Member, Host Rep

@labze said:

Correct. It's all about craze of shiny new syndrome, for most folks.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • Shared will be better in this case because a newer CPU means not only a newer CPU but also overall new hardware. For example, 7950x3d has Zen 4 architecture, while 7702 has Zen 2. 7950x3d has DDR5 RAM, so you will definitely get better performance than 7702. However, if you need to utilize the CPU 100% all the time, you may think about a dedicated one, but hey, you'll still get only 2200 GHz, which is theoretically just half of 7950x3d (50%) total frequency. From my personal experience, web application performance is greatly hampered if you host it on less than a 2400 GHz CPU, especially if you have a database. For a database-driven site, I never use a CPU less than 2800 GHz. So, it's up to your application. In fact, your CPU usage may reduce because higher-clock processors and DDR5 RAM will process the request faster, which will reduce the overall CPU usage time.

Thanked by 2masiqbal nick_
  • @jobayer said:
    Shared will be better in this case because a newer CPU means not only a newer CPU but also overall new hardware. For example, 7950x3d has Zen 4 architecture, while 7702 has Zen 2. 7950x3d has DDR5 RAM, so you will definitely get better performance than 7702. However, if you need to utilize the CPU 100% all the time, you may think about a dedicated one, but hey, you'll still get only 2200 GHz, which is theoretically just half of 7950x3d (50%) total frequency. From my personal experience, web application performance is greatly hampered if you host it on less than a 2400 GHz CPU, especially if you have a database. For a database-driven site, I never use a CPU less than 2800 GHz. So, it's up to your application. In fact, your CPU usage may reduce because higher-clock processors and DDR5 RAM will process the request faster, which will reduce the overall CPU usage time.

well explained

• Choose according to your needs, I prefer exclusive CPU.

Thanked by 1masiqbal