Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[OPEN SOURCE] Making Benchmark Tool
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[OPEN SOURCE] Making Benchmark Tool

Hey! I'm a HS student whom is also a server operations enthusiast and I've lurked here for quite a while. A friend recommended me to do a cool open source project that I'd like to get this community's thoughts on!

From my research, I haven't found a good all-in-one open source server/PC benchmark tool and I was considering making one, but I'm unsure of what to include in it.

It'd be in Rust (I've been wanted to do more projects with it regardless) and I'd love to know what I should try to include and some references to get the jump on it!

I'm working with a few people whom have experience with the field, but suggestions are welcome.

(as well as if this exists... don't want to make a huge project only for one to exist already; I know about YABS but assumed that was mainly file performance testing)

I also wanted to make this tool for personal computers as well, rather than focusing on just servers. I haven't found anything that's open source for personal PCs, so.

Comments

• Do you have any info how you measure the performance?
    Since there no sight of geekbench gonna be support musl at moment. I looking forward for this project!

• I haven't found a good all-in-one open source server/PC benchmark tool

Phoronix Test Suite exists from 2010, can benchmark everything, runs on Mac/Windows/Linux and is open source.
    https://openbenchmarking.org/

• It starts with what problem you want to solve, if there are already tools for that, then what improvements you could bring.

Thanked by 1Liso
  • What’s wrong with geekbench ?

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@jmaxwell said:
    What’s wrong with geekbench ?

Well, it is closed source

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@AXYZE said: Phoronix Test Suite exists from 2010, can benchmark everything, runs on Mac/Windows/Linux and is open source.

There's even a LowEndBoxTV video about it:

• @Jos said: for personal computers as well, rather than focusing on just servers

Phoronix Test Suite has workloads geared towards PCs, like Creator Workloads that include various rendering and editing software, and even Productivity that among others, have PDF conversion in Libre Office.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Jos said:
    From my research, I haven't found a good all-in-one open source server/PC benchmark tool and I was considering making one, but I'm unsure of what to include in it.

Sorry that's nonsense. There is a plethora of benchmarks, incl. open source ones. But anyway, think about the next point.

I also wanted to make this tool for personal computers as well, rather than focusing on just servers. I haven't found anything that's open source for personal PCs, so.

You need an answer to the question "What do I want to find out?". Both in order to design such a program and to find out whether potential users want such a program.

Good luck.

• @Anayx said:
    It starts with what problem you want to solve, if there are already tools for that, then what improvements you could bring.

Apologies! I wrote this post quite early in the morning and on my phone, so it was definitely a bit shortwinded as to what I should've included.

1) I wanted to solve the lack of a modern, all-in-one, and open source benchmarking tool that is simple and easy to use; preferably one command / GUI application.
    -> Looks like one was included in the replies (wanted to check if it existed; so hence the post), but I'm most likely going to consider making one myself mainly for modernity and for usage on a centralized site! + to mess around more with Rust and hone my skills.

• @AXYZE said:

I haven't found a good all-in-one open source server/PC benchmark tool

Phoronix Test Suite exists from 2010, can benchmark everything, runs on Mac/Windows/Linux and is open source.
    https://openbenchmarking.org/

Ah okay! Awesome to know that one exists. I want to make one to help hone my skillsets regardless so I'll most likely take the jump on it, even if such tools are already out there.

• @martheen said:

@Jos said: for personal computers as well, rather than focusing on just servers

Phoronix Test Suite has workloads geared towards PCs, like Creator Workloads that include various rendering and editing software, and even Productivity that among others, have PDF conversion in Libre Office.

Quite intriquite, but as expected of a tool that's been out for so long. That's actually pretty cool though that it has app-specific testing.

• JosJos Member
    edited September 2023

@jsg said:

@Jos said:

Sorry that's nonsense. There is a plethora of benchmarks, incl. open source ones. But anyway, think about the next point.

Quite a lot for sure looking back at it! Thanks for the heads up though, turns out I looked in the wrong places; however, I do have another idea.

You need an answer to the question "What do I want to find out?". Both in order to design such a program and to find out whether potential users want such a program.

Good luck.

I'll most likely re-orient the project towards typical everyday people as just an easy one-off way to test their new computer. From experience with users whom are new to the industry or just everyday-people looking to benchmark a PC; simplicity was pretty key. Most benchmarks are professional and include tons of data (which isn't bad!) (sites were usually old-looking as well compared to modern ones today) but I'm mostly going to orient towards a simple script that just benchmarks, uploads, and has simple review data with advanced tools for enthusiasts // people who know their stuff. As well as a few other tools for a simple all-in-one and modern website that's open source. Leaderboard, part comparison, builder, etc. I know it's unorthodox for this forum, but I figured I should respond regardless.

Thank you for your advice and for the heads up though! I'm still learning and love this sort of thing and the knowledge in this forum is definitely a good reference point.

Gracias!