Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH GAME servers are now once again 50 % off for life!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH GAME servers are now once again 50 % off for life!

Game-1 starting at €47.50 with:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 6c/12t - 3.7 GHz/4.6 GHz
Memory : From 32 GB DDR4 ECC to 64 GB DDR4 ECC
Storage : SSD NVMe
Public bandwidth : 250 Mbps (burst 1 Gbps)
Private bandwidth : No private bandwidth

And Game-2 starting at €71.25 with:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 8c/16t - 3.8 GHz/4.7 GHz
Memory : From 64 GB DDR4 ECC to 128 GB DDR4 ECC

Already got anotha one in Limburg, thanks @OVH_APAC and the rest of the team! :)

Thanked by 1jsg
Killer deal ay
  1. ???28 votes
    1. Yes
      53.57%
    2. Also yes
      46.43%

Comments

• Thing is after having tasted Hetzner, everything else feels expensive. Especially for servers with Desktop CPUs.

• @Val said:
    Thing is after having tasted Hetzner, everything else feels expensive. Especially for servers with Desktop CPUs.

You may say that. But Hetzner's geographically limited.

Thanked by 4Val emgh bdspice tentor
  • @Val said:
    Thing is after having tasted Hetzner, everything else feels expensive. Especially for servers with Desktop CPUs.

I don't get DDoS'd, I really don't

But even then, putting clients on Hetzner feels scary. I can't force them to use reverse proxies, and I'm fully aware OVH DDoS protection isn't Path or any other good specialized solution, but it's a million times better compared to Hetzner, I'll gladly pay some extra for that

• @emgh said:

@Val said:

But even then, putting clients on Hetzner feels scary. I can't force them to use reverse proxies, and I'm fully aware OVH DDoS protection isn't Path or any other good specialized solution, but it's a million times better compared to Hetzner, I'll gladly pay some extra for that

Say what you will aboue OVH's DDoS Protection. But I think they do a good enough job for most things. For a while for vpsB had DDoS Problems that serverius wasn't able to handle but OVH was solid for.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @HalfEatenPie said:

@emgh said:

@Val said:

Say what you will aboue OVH's DDoS Protection. But I think they do a good enough job for most things. For a while for vpsB had DDoS Problems that serverius wasn't able to handle but OVH was solid for.

Yeah, I was defending them, they're unique in their protection for the price tbh

But I still have to put it out there, otherwise there's always some skid going "HAHAHA MY 5 DOLLAR BOOTER CAN BOOT OFF OVH BTW IM COOL"

• OVH Anti-DDOS can handle most volumetric attacks, its just that most Game Servers don't have good Anti-DDOS on the protocol level.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @ehhthing said:
    OVH Anti-DDOS can handle most volumetric attacks, its just that most Game Servers don't have good Anti-DDOS on the protocol level.

And that's a big difference to Hetzner and worth the price for many, I'd say

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

Already got anotha one in Limburg, thanks @OVH_APAC and the rest of the team! :)

thank you for the post @emgh !
    These servers are available in 8 locations including Europe, North America and Asia-pacific datacenters (limited stock!)
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/asia/bare-metal/prices/#filterType=range_element&filterValue=game
    or visit https://www.ovhcloud.com/ to be redirected to your local website.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

It will soon be 2 years since we own the same server with Ryzen 3800X, 64GB DDR4 and 2x 960GB NVMe but with the great plus that we have 1Gbps up/down both IPv4 and IPv6 (the limitation to 250Mbps is more recent).
    After price increases, this server is 73 EUR without VAT, but it makes all the money even at this price.

• @FlorinMarian said:
    It will soon be 2 years since we own the same server with Ryzen 3800X, 64GB DDR4 and 2x 960GB NVMe but with the great plus that we have 1Gbps up/down both IPv4 and IPv6 (the limitation to 250Mbps is more recent).
    After price increases, this server is 73 EUR without VAT, but it makes all the money even at this price.

Says 1 Gbps burst

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@FlorinMarian said:

Says 1 Gbps burst

Yes, burst but mine has 1Gbps as base speed, not only for a short period.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@emgh said:

@FlorinMarian said:

Says 1 Gbps burst

Yes, burst but mine has 1Gbps as base speed, not only for a short period.

Burst dosen't necessarily mean that they have a strict time limit

• vbavba Member
    edited September 2023

@OVH_APAC said:

@emgh said:

thank you for the post @emgh !
    These servers are available in 8 locations including Europe, North America and Asia-pacific datacenters (limited stock!)
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/asia/bare-metal/prices/#filterType=range_element&filterValue=game
    or visit https://www.ovhcloud.com/ to be redirected to your local website.

when will the Game-2 available in Singapore location?

Thanked by 1Outdoor
  • PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited October 2023

@FlorinMarian said:

OVH has lately become stingy with the bandwidth pipes. Gigabit is only guaranteed on the Advanced series or higher (or if you get lucky with the pipe lottery on the eco servers). I would keep your server renewed and avoid letting go of it if gigabit is of high value to you (especially if it's on the GAME network).

I used to have that same OVH server back in December 2021 and it was a solid machine, but didn't keep it renewed due to budgetary constraints. Right now, I don't think you can buy a GAME machine with guaranteed gigabit no matter what; it's not listed anywhere on OVH.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • Not so attractive after adding the 18% tax. I would stick to vpses in SG.

• @cadddr said:
    Not so attractive after adding the 18% tax. I would stick to vpses in SG.

Tbh I don’t host anything in APAC but I can’t think of a lot of offers for cheaper Ryzen performance in that region

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Val said:

Simple thing: Ryzen cores are faster than Epyc cores. I personally don't care that much and prefer more (weaker) cores over (fewer) faster cores, but for many, e.g. gamers, Ryzen servers seem to be more desirable.

And btw., no offense intended, but "cheap" usually has certain ingredients. There are reasons that cheaper products tend to also be weaker/worse products. I myself only ever had one @Hetzner_OL / Hetzner product, a VPS, and I was quite disappointed.

That said I still remember the OVH data center with wooden floors that burned down.
    (But, for the sake of fairness, I once, a long time ago had a @OVH_APAC dedi and it was a really nice machine at a great price)

P.S. How about the OVH people creating an official OVH account? And I mean one rather than multiple "OVH[something]" accounts ...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Say what you will aboue OVH's DDoS Protection.

I will say, indeed.

I am getting regular reports of being DDoSed.
    I mean, I use my KSs for private stuff and I donate some bandwidth to I2P, Freenet, Tor, but only unlisted stuff (bridges).
    I have some proxies and wireguard as well, but there is nothing that could attract an attack, no game servers, not even a web server or mail service, absolutely nothing!

I get it, the skids might fatfinger some IP, but once or twice a year, not every week 3-4 times. I run similar things with other people, including Prometeus, and it never happened to be DDoSed. Something is wrong, the rate of false positives or the frequency of attacks against OVHs IPs is so great that it either spills over, IPs are mistyped or tricks the detection into picking the wrong IPs.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2023

@Maounique said:

@HalfEatenPie said: Say what you will aboue OVH's DDoS Protection.

I will say, indeed.

I am getting regular reports of being DDoSed.
    I mean, I use my KSs for private stuff and I donate some bandwidth to I2P, Freenet, Tor, but only unlisted stuff (bridges).
    I have some proxies and wireguard as well, but there is nothing that could attract an attack, no game servers, not even a web server or mail service, absolutely nothing!

I get it, the skids might fatfinger some IP, but once or twice a year, not every week 3-4 times. I run similar things with other people, including Prometeus, and it never happened to be DDoSed. Something is wrong, the rate of false positives or the frequency of attacks against OVHs IPs is so great that it either spills over, IPs are mistyped or tricks the detection into picking the wrong IPs.

k

Edit: Honestly though I also do get emails every now and then that OVH has mitigated DDoS on an IP I have there. But it's definitely lol. I don't host anything controversial or public on that server so.... eh.

• emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

@Maounique said: I get it, the skids might fatfinger some IP, but once or twice a year, not every week 3-4 times. I run similar things with other people, including Prometeus, and it never happened to be DDoSed. Something is wrong, the rate of false positives or the frequency of attacks against OVHs IPs is so great that it either spills over, IPs are mistyped or tricks the detection into picking the wrong IPs.

19 IPv4's and bunch of IPv6's with OVH and never once got such a notice

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

@vba said:
    when will the Game-2 available in Singapore location?

Hi @vba , thanks for your interest. Unfortunately due to popular demand, Game-2 is fully sold out in our Singapore location. However do keep checking back the website from time to time as any customers that give up theirs will automatically be added back to the pool for order.

• @emgh said:

Burst dosen't necessarily mean that they have a strict time limit

Absulutely true! I have ran speed test and downloads 10GB test files but never triggered the limit.

Then again I'm in APAC so even if all employees and customers connect at the same time there is no way their international speed would saturate my server.

Thanked by 1emgh