Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch Los Angeles storage VPS outage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch Los Angeles storage VPS outage

2»

Comments

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mansoor said: So what you are saying is that since you offer cheap service, folks should expect shitty service?

>

Excellent bait for creating drama, but no, that is not at all what I was saying.

Thanked by 1emgh

@tommyluo said:
    Same issue happen again and again,if me,i will choose other service provider instead.

1: Buyvm Block Storage
    2: vultr Object storage
    3: wasabi

You would be able to create 3 separate 1TB servers in 3 different countries with us at about the same cost - so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Pretty sure 3 different servers in 3 different countries would win in terms of reliability and performance any day.

• I can't understand how people can't grasp that storage that's more prone to failure for less can be just as stable when redundancy is put in place

If you can't grasp that, why are you even on LET? The big 3 is the only fitting providers (and kind of still not enough)

• I backup to HostHatch & Backblaze B2

I find it unlikely enough that my main data source (i.e. my live servers), my HostHatch storage VM and Backblaze all 3 dies before I can act on it

If one dies, all good, there's 2 more copies

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2023

@hosthatch said: Pretty sure 3 different servers in 3 different countries would win in terms of reliability and performance any day.

Technically looking it would be still bad idea as even established host may go under, decide that they don't want to deal with client with "too big expectations", got compromised and so on :)

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2023

@emgh said: I backup to HostHatch & Backblaze B2

But no locally to external disk? :)
    I managed to get several Seagate Expansion 5TB 2,5'' HDDs for like 80 euros / piece, which is pretty good price where I live :)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • psb777psb777 Member
    edited October 2023

@hosthatch said:

@mansoor said: So what you are saying is that since you offer cheap service, folks should expect shitty service?

Excellent bait for creating drama, but no, that is not at all what I was saying.

Given how often and gravely your words are (mis)understood, have you considered improving your communication skills?

@hosthatch said: You would be able to create 3 separate 1TB servers in 3 different countries with us at about the same cost - so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Pretty sure 3 different servers in 3 different countries would win in terms of reliability and performance any day.

Sure, but you are not counting the cost of people's time in waiting for your stonewalling support department to respond and reinstalling the VPS - so I don't think that's a fair comparison either.

This is LET, yes, but as low as it gets, the opportunity cost of people's time is non-zero. Reinstalling a server and restoring from backup is not as simple as popping out a failed drive from a RAID array and inserting a new one. It takes a non-negligible amount of time.

Also, it took 3 weeks for you to realize that the RAID was fubar, and another week to fix IPv6. And your support department or ticket system is basically non-existent, at least not for me - my ticket still got absolutely zero replies, cheers. So I don't get notified when (or if) things get fixed, instead I have to do polling, manually, which also costs time. Better yet, start a thread on LET, sit back and relax. Btw, thank you @cause for letting me know IPv6 is now working, finally.

• @mansoor said:
    So what you are saying is that since you offer cheap service, folks should expect shitty service?

I personally would not phrase it like that, but I guess that's just a way of saying "you get what you pay for" but making it sound like the provider is the one at fault.
    People should expect the service they are actually buying. If you expect full redundancy, data replication, backups or whatever, then buy a service that delivers that. Do not buy a low end service and expect it to be something it is not. HostHatch offers a cheap service, and that is what people should expect. HostHatch delivers exactly what they are selling, calling it shitty just because it is not what you think it should be is not fair.

I use HostHatch myself and considering what I pay for it, the service has been nothing but prem. Performance is good, network is really good, and the support has answered within hours the few times I've opened a ticket.
    I have not experienced a data loss with them, but if I did I would not hold it against them since it is something I take into consideration when using low end hosting. I backup my data and actually expect things to go to hell sooner or later. They have had some problems with ipv6 recently and since I use ipv6 only it did affect me, but as I said, it is something I calculate with when using low end so no big deal.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited October 2023

@Mumbly said:

@emgh said: I backup to HostHatch & Backblaze B2

But no locally to external disk? :)
    I managed to get several Seagate Expansion 5TB 2,5'' HDDs for like 80 euros / piece, which is pretty good price where I live :)

No I have CGNAT, and if/when I don’t, dynamic IPs, and if/when I don’t, I live in a small apt so i cba any noise, and if/when I don’t, electricity, man

As for my servers, can’t really do local backups there either because they’re NVMe and got no space for that (OVH dedis)

Thanked by 2Mumbly bdl
  • For the storage vps,some providers maybe use the old hardware and never replace with new one,as long as it crashes,just creat another account on other old machine,never care about your data.

Currently,I am happen with the service provided by @EthernetServers racknerd( @dustinc ) @Vultr @HostEONS @reliablevps_us @contabo_m @NDTN (GreenCloud)

Also for sure, @EthernetServers will replace the old hareware with new when hardware EOL and sending notice.

Thanked by 2hosthatch HostEONS
  • EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

@tommyluo said:
    For the storage vps,some providers maybe use the old hardware and never replace with new one,as long as it crashes,just creat another account on other old machine,never care about your data.

Currently,I am happen with the service provided by @EthernetServers racknerd( @dustinc ) @Vultr @HostEONS @reliablevps_us @contabo_m @NDTN (GreenCloud)

Also for sure, @EthernetServers will replace the old hareware with new when hardware EOL and sending notice.

Thank you for the mention :)

@tommyluo said:
    For the storage vps,some providers maybe use the old hardware and never replace with new one,as long as it crashes,just creat another account on other old machine,never care about your data.

I am very happy for you if you are paying ~$1.5-2 per TB for not RAID5/6/50/60 and actually RAID1/10 storage with AMD EPYC and/or Intel Xeon Silver/Gold CPUs from them. Glad you found that.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@tommyluo said:

Thanks for the mention

We had actually started migration and did free upgrade from XEON to Ryzen based nodes, if you go to our announcement section you will find that we had actually migrated lots of VPS Nodes from Intel E5 based nodes to Ryzen based nodes, so basically it was a free upgrade, but then DEDIPATH happened so we had to keep this plan on hold, but still whoever was migrated to Ryzen stays on Ryzen, but in the next few months we may again start free migration from Intel E5 to Ryzen, once all VPS are migrated we will just stop offering Intel based VPS and just offer Ryzen based ones

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@emgh said:
    I can't understand how people can't grasp that storage that's more prone to failure for less can be just as stable when redundancy is put in place

If you can't grasp that, why are you even on LET? The big 3 is the only fitting providers (and kind of still not enough)

I will chime in real quick and say that storage servers are an extreme pain as a provider. So many abusers, so much bandwidth consumpation, very low margins/high ROI, and very little IO available to clients (even in RAID10). Providers also don't generally take backups because of the extremely high amount of data, and there can be chances for odd circumstances like filesystem corruption or drive failures causing data loss, especially with the high amount of data & RAID configurations consisting of a ton of (individually slow) drives.

Doing storage servers is an extreme pain, especially at scale, and I applaud any provider who goes into that endeavour :) Storage servers are extremely hard to maintain and get "right," it's amazing that providers such as HostHatch & Frantech can do the pricing they do, even at the list price of $5/TB.