Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about CentOS 7 kernel upgrades
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions about CentOS 7 kernel upgrades

Hello guys,

I have some servers running CentOS 7, today I decided to update the kernel on them and found something interesting:

1. Two servers have the same 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7 kernel, however one updated to 3.10.0-1160.95.1.el7 and the other to 3.10.0-1160.99.1.el7. Why the difference?
  2. Where can I see the full list of bug fixes and security updates of the kernel 3.10.0-1160 series?
  3. Is it safe not keep the server running with and old kernel? Or do you suggest me to reboot it? My servers have like 650 days uptime.

Thanks,
gapper

Comments

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Buy KernelCare if uptime is important. All servers we can't reboot for a couple minutes get that setup on initial.

Now why you got different kernels I'm not sure, doesnt make much sense. Could be different flavor streams of centos, but I'm not positive honestly.

Its an older version but its a point version, not whole, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

• RHCHostingRHCHosting Member, Host Rep

Hello @gapper ,

1 - Are those 2 servers in the exact same location? They must be getting their updates from different repos? One being more up-to-date than the other?

2 - On RedHat website

3 - If it's stable why do you want to reboot? Centos will request a reboot if upgrades requires one. Else, your'e ok to apply upgrades and keep running. This is Linux, not Windows :-)

Thanked by 1gapper