Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tunnel for IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tunnel for IP?

I need to migrate a VM to a different location, but it's not possible to migrate the IP address.

Is there a way to create a tunnel for the IP from the old node to the new one? This is something I've never done before, and I've been thinking about maybe using RouterOS?

Note: old node will remain powered on. I can create a VM to run some software for the tunnel.

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Just use IPIP or GRE tunnel, you can do it even on Linux server

Thanked by 1juniorrrrr
  • The following article was linked in a previous discussion on the subject: https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/linux-setup-gre-tunnel

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

Just do GRE tunnel and then just forward all from the IP you want to the new vm on the gre address you give, BuyVM has a good guide https://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

• With a GRE tunnel, can server B masquerade as server A?

For example, if server A only has an IP address and server B is running cPanel, will I be able to access all services using only the IP address of server A?"

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

@juniorrrrr said:
    With a GRE tunnel, can server B masquerade as server A?

For example, if server A only has an IP address and server B is running cPanel, will I be able to access all services using only the IP address of server A?"

Yes if you use the guide I sent everything gets sent from ServerA IP -> ServerB so if you go to say ServerA:443 it still looks like server A but traffic is forwarded over the GRE to serverB:443 so it still looks like serverA ip to end user, if you want everything from ServerB to go out to the internet user ServerA IP that is a little different but if all you want is to use Server A IP for anything inbound to ServerB then you are all good.

• The issue I have found with GRE tunnels is that they are not resilient. I use use tinc in these situations, if the traffic load is not going to be too high, because tinc will keep checking, and automatically reset the connection, if the network goes down on ether side of the tunnel.