Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS with occasional high speeds for media server and seedbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS with occasional high speeds for media server and seedbox

bansktbanskt Member
edited September 2023 in Requests

Hello LET,

I am looking for recommendations to host a media server (Plex / Jellyfin) and seedbox (rtorrent, Sonarr, Radarr, Bazarr, Jackett). The most important criteria for me are:

1. occasional bursts of high speeds (for uploads and racing, total approx 20-30hrs per month).
2. 5TB+ storage for media server.
3. budget is flexible / looking for the best value for money.

I do not mind being on a shared box with occasional extreme speeds, as long as I get SSH access and flexibillity to install the basic software mentioned above. I will be happy with basic CPU and RAM. For the network, I am not sure whether to get a dedicated 1Gbps (e.g. the Leaseweb example below) or a shared 20Gbps (e.g. the PulsedMedia example below). So, I am open to ideas. Traffic usage will be less than 50TB per month (private trackers 99% + public trackers 1%), plus streaming traffic (which should be negligible).

I have found two options which I liked:
1. Leaseweb Dedicated Server NL - Intel Xeon E3-1230 | 16GB RAM | 4x3TB HDD | 1gbps / 30TB traffic - €30.99/mo
2. PulsedMedia Toruk - Resources shared with approx 26 users (AMD EPyC 7551, 128GB RAM, 20gbps network) | 5TB RAID10 storage | 50TB traffic - €27.99/mo

However, I am open to other suggestions, options and offers. Your ideas on dedicated resources vs shared resources will also be very helpful.

In compliance with the Request forum guidelines, here are the requirements:

VZ Type: ANY

Number of Cores: ANY
RAM: 8GB+
Disk Space: 5TB+
Disk Type: HDD

Bandwidth: 50TB+
Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users

DDoS Protection: Yes

Number of IPs: 1

Budget: less than $100

Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

Occasional racing?

• hostingbydesign has you covered.

• @tentor said:
    Occasional racing?

I run autodl only for very few movies / shows. Racing happens like 10-15 times a month, and the first 4-5 minutes are crucial for those 10-15 times. Getting first in at least one is generally what is good for me. :)

• @fluffernutter said:
    hostingbydesign has you covered.

Thanks, I looked at hostingbydesign, but I found the dedicated Leaseweb box is cheaper for the storage. Leaseweb offers 30TB traffic compared to hostingbydesign unlimited -- do they have a FUP?

• @c1vhosting and @Calin may able to help.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • actual price for leaseweb server is €38.02 if you don't want to get stuck in a 24 months contract

• @banskt said:

@fluffernutter said:

Thanks, I looked at hostingbydesign, but I found the dedicated Leaseweb box is cheaper for the storage. Leaseweb offers 30TB traffic compared to hostingbydesign unlimited -- do they have a FUP?

No FUP, everything true dedicated unmetered.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hey!
    You can have a look at our VPS Storage packages https://www.hazi.ro/store/virtual-private-servers-storage

• Your can't go wrong with
    whatbox.ca
    Seedbox.eu also not bad(leaseweb)

• @henix said:
    actual price for leaseweb server is €38.02 if you don't want to get stuck in a 24 months contract

I quoted their yearly contract (not 24 months). See my original post,

@banskt said:
    Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)

I am open to annual contracts if I get a good deal.

• @fluffernutter said:

@banskt said:

@fluffernutter said:

No FUP, everything true dedicated unmetered.

That is great information! Thanks again.
    I do like the E3-1230, 16GB, 4x2TB HDD, 1Gbit unmetered option at €36.49. Ticks my boxes.

• bansktbanskt Member
    edited September 2023

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hey!
    You can have a look at our VPS Storage packages https://www.hazi.ro/store/virtual-private-servers-storage

Great servers and great prices! Love your Advanced SSD for an alternate application. For the particular application I am looking for, the focus is storage and network speed. CPU, RAM and SSD i/o are secondary. I don't think 1Gbit shared suits my needs. What would be the cost for dedicated 1Gbps for your "Storage Premium"? I also wouldn't need 8x vCPU 2.30GHz. 4x should be enough, may be even 2x. Is it possible to customize?

• @johndeo983 said:
    Your can't go wrong with
    whatbox.ca
    Seedbox.eu also not bad(leaseweb)

Thanks! Whatbox has some solid options indeed.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello @banskt if you like it's possible give you

15 TB HDD Raid 6
    (20 GB SSD For boot/Operating System)
    35 MBs I/O
    7.9K IOps
    3 Dedicated CPU
    1 Dedicated IPv4
    VNC Acces
    Manual install ,delivery in 24 hours
    200 Mbit unlimited dedicated port speed
    Port 25 block permently
    4 GB DDr4 ECC RAM
    Full KVM Virtualisation
    Full Root Acces
    Multiple 32/64 bit OS
    Romania Location
    Allow install SeedBox
    Allow install Plex or other
    Allow public torrent
    Allow adult content websites

216 euros/year (that it's 18 euros/month)

But need year payment

Write me on PM if you like

Regards,
    Calin

• bansktbanskt Member
    edited September 2023

@Calin said:

15 TB HDD Raid 6
    35 MBs I/O
    7.9K IOps
    3 Dedicated CPU
    1 Dedicated IPv4
    VNC Acces
    Port 25 block permently
    4 GB DDr4 ECC RAM
    Full KVM Virtualisation
    Full Root Acces
    Multiple 32/64 bit OS
    Romania Location
    Allow install SeedBox
    Allow public torrent

But need year payment

Regards,
    Calin

Thanks for your offer, @Calin.

I talked with @Calin on the DM and accepted his offer. So, I am not looking for any more offers.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@banskt said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hey!

Great servers and great prices! Love your Advanced SSD for an alternate application. For the particular application I am looking for, the focus is storage and network speed. CPU, RAM and SSD i/o are secondary. I don't think 1Gbit shared suits my needs. What would be the cost for dedicated 1Gbps for your "Storage Premium"? I also wouldn't need 8x vCPU 2.30GHz. 4x should be enough, may be even 2x. Is it possible to customize?

Hey!
    Unfortunately, I can't help you with the guaranteed bandwidth at the moment because the upgrade to the guaranteed 5Gbps will be postponed for a while to first exhaust all the hardware resources we have, only then will we be able to come with some unlimited 1Gbps packages and guaranteed.
    You can test the bandwidth with the https://network-speed.xyz/ script at different times of the day, to figure out whether or not it is feasible to still take the shared bandwidth. (yesterday I fixed a too strict firewall rule and the speed improved globally).
    Thanks a lot for the feedback!

• @banskt said:
    Hello LET,

I am looking for recommendations to host a media server (Plex / Jellyfin) and seedbox (rtorrent, Sonarr, Radarr, Bazarr, Jackett). The most important criteria for me are:

1. occasional bursts of high speeds (for uploads and racing, total approx 20-30hrs per month).

I do not mind being on a shared box with occasional extreme speeds, as long as I get SSH access and flexibillity to install the basic software mentioned above. I will be happy with basic CPU and RAM. For the network, I am not sure whether to get a dedicated 1Gbps (e.g. the Leaseweb example below) or a shared 20Gbps (e.g. the PulsedMedia example below). So, I am open to ideas. Traffic usage will be less than 50TB per month (private trackers 99% + public trackers 1%), plus streaming traffic (which should be negligible).

1. Leaseweb Dedicated Server NL - Intel Xeon E3-1230 | 16GB RAM | 4x3TB HDD | 1gbps / 30TB traffic - €30.99/mo
    2. PulsedMedia Toruk - Resources shared with approx 26 users (AMD EPyC 7551, 128GB RAM, 20gbps network) | 5TB RAID10 storage | 50TB traffic - €27.99/mo

However, I am open to other suggestions, options and offers. Your ideas on dedicated resources vs shared resources will also be very helpful.

> VZ Type: ANY
    >  
    > Number of Cores: ANY
    > RAM: 8GB+
    > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > Disk Type: HDD
    >  
    > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > 
    > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > 
    > Number of IPs: 1
    >  
    > Location: ANY
    > 
    > Budget: less than $100
    > 
    > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > 

Hey Dear
    everything ok but the 1G dedicated itself costs to many providers more than your budget.

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1Gbps Unmetered dedicated
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

• @c1vhosting said:

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> > VZ Type: ANY
    > >  
    > > Number of Cores: ANY
    > > RAM: 8GB+
    > > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > > Disk Type: HDD
    > >  
    > > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > > 
    > > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > > 
    > > Number of IPs: 1
    > >  
    > > Location: ANY
    > > 
    > > Budget: less than $100
    > > 
    > > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > > 

Hey Dear
    everything ok but the 1G dedicated itself costs to many providers more than your budget.

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

lol he can get a dedi for like half the price. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @c1vhosting said:

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> > VZ Type: ANY
    > >  
    > > Number of Cores: ANY
    > > RAM: 8GB+
    > > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > > Disk Type: HDD
    > >  
    > > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > > 
    > > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > > 
    > > Number of IPs: 1
    > >  
    > > Location: ANY
    > > 
    > > Budget: less than $100
    > > 
    > > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > > 

Hey Dear

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

I dont want to be rude or anything but, wouldnt 1K€/y be too much for these specs? Most providers can beat that easily, and its not even a dedicated server.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

We can offer you this dedicated server:

Intel Xeon E3-1270v3
    Cores: 4 (Threads: 8)
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3 ECC
    Disks: 4 x 18 TB HDD
    Traffic: 50 TB outbound - unmetered inbound @ 1Gbit
    Subnet /29
    $109/mo

Further discount can be done on 6 months billing cycle.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

For racing and storage you need 2 different services, those are completely opposite spectrum of the scale.

So i think your best bet is get an MD for the frontend and racing: https://pulsedmedia.com/minidedi-dedicated-servers-finland.php

1Gbps Unmetered is included.

Then add our storage box mounted the way you wish for the slower mass storage: https://pulsedmedia.com/storage-boxes.php

Bonus Hardware transcoding for Plex! :D MD have intel UHD graphics which have encoders built-in.

Example config:
    M10G Storage 4TB: 8.99€ a month (remember this also grows over time!)
    MD10: i5 7500t, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe 28.99€ a month

Total is only 37.98€ per month :O

or for the 16TB storage add 8€ a month. Takes a ~year or perhaps a bit more to grow to 5TB on the 4TB, but that's also why i chose the one with 1TB NVMe so total is ~5TB from start.

• @PulsedMedia said:
    For racing and storage you need 2 different services, those are completely opposite spectrum of the scale.

So i think your best bet is get an MD for the frontend and racing: https://pulsedmedia.com/minidedi-dedicated-servers-finland.php

Then add our storage box mounted the way you wish for the slower mass storage: https://pulsedmedia.com/storage-boxes.php

Bonus Hardware transcoding for Plex! :D MD have intel UHD graphics which have encoders built-in.

Example config:

or for the 16TB storage add 8€ a month. Takes a ~year or perhaps a bit more to grow to 5TB on the 4TB, but that's also why i chose the one with 1TB NVMe so total is ~5TB from start.

You mean add another 8 bucks for 8 TB right? The 16 is more

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Example config:

You mean add another 8 bucks for 8 TB right? The 16 is more

Oops you are correct! I typoed. 8TB is 16.99€ so 8€ more, and 16TB is 32.99€
    RAID0 costs significantly less

• @Calin said:

15 TB HDD Raid 6
    35 MBs I/O
    7.9K IOps
    3 Dedicated CPU
    1 Dedicated IPv4
    VNC Acces
    Port 25 block permently
    4 GB DDr4 ECC RAM
    Full KVM Virtualisation
    Full Root Acces
    Multiple 32/64 bit OS
    Romania Location
    Allow install SeedBox
    Allow public torrent

But need year payment

Regards,
    Calin

1gbit possible?

• @dyren said:

@c1vhosting said:

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> > > VZ Type: ANY
    > > >  
    > > > Number of Cores: ANY
    > > > RAM: 8GB+
    > > > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > > > Disk Type: HDD
    > > >  
    > > > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > > > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > > > 
    > > > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > > > 
    > > > Number of IPs: 1
    > > >  
    > > > Location: ANY
    > > > 
    > > > Budget: less than $100
    > > > 
    > > > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > > > 

Hey Dear

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

I dont want to be rude or anything but, wouldnt 1K€/y be too much for these specs? Most providers can beat that easily, and its not even a dedicated server.

1Gbit dedicated :)

• @c1vhosting said:

@dyren said:

@c1vhosting said:

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> > > > VZ Type: ANY
    > > > >  
    > > > > Number of Cores: ANY
    > > > > RAM: 8GB+
    > > > > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > > > > Disk Type: HDD
    > > > >  
    > > > > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > > > > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > > > > 
    > > > > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > > > > 
    > > > > Number of IPs: 1
    > > > >  
    > > > > Location: ANY
    > > > > 
    > > > > Budget: less than $100
    > > > > 
    > > > > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > > > > 

Hey Dear

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

Yeah the dedi for lower than half that cost also has dedicated 1G. I’d love to know what you’re smoking! Good stuff!

• dyrendyren Member
    edited September 2023

@c1vhosting said:

@dyren said:

@c1vhosting said:

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> > > > VZ Type: ANY
    > > > >  
    > > > > Number of Cores: ANY
    > > > > RAM: 8GB+
    > > > > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > > > > Disk Type: HDD
    > > > >  
    > > > > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > > > > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > > > > 
    > > > > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > > > > 
    > > > > Number of IPs: 1
    > > > >  
    > > > > Location: ANY
    > > > > 
    > > > > Budget: less than $100
    > > > > 
    > > > > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > > > > 

Hey Dear

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

ngl, i was hoping that you made a typo and meant 100€. I'm also curious about what you're smoking, it would definitely help make my days less stressful.

Thanked by 1Astro
  • @Astro said:

@c1vhosting said:

@dyren said:

@c1vhosting said:

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> > > > > VZ Type: ANY
    > > > > >  
    > > > > > Number of Cores: ANY
    > > > > > RAM: 8GB+
    > > > > > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > > > > > Disk Type: HDD
    > > > > >  
    > > > > > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > > > > > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > > > > > 
    > > > > > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > > > > > 
    > > > > > Number of IPs: 1
    > > > > >  
    > > > > > Location: ANY
    > > > > > 
    > > > > > Budget: less than $100
    > > > > > 
    > > > > > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > > > > > 

Hey Dear

We can provide:

2 vCore
    8GB DDR4 RAM ECC
    5TB HDD
    1 IPv4

€1000/year vat included

Yeah the dedi for lower than half that cost also has dedicated 1G. I’d love to know what you’re smoking! Good stuff!

Small scale basement hosts have to pay more for transit than the big players. Doesn't make it a good deal in the slightest, especially considering the company history, but I can see where the insanity is coming from. Telia (their upstream) is generally around $100/gbit on higher commitment levels as a frame of reference.

• sthostingsthosting Member, Patron Provider

@banskt said:
    Hello LET,

> VZ Type: ANY
    >  
    > Number of Cores: ANY
    > RAM: 8GB+
    > Disk Space: 5TB+
    > Disk Type: HDD
    >  
    > Bandwidth: 50TB+
    > Port Speed: 1gbps dedicated / 10-20gbps shared with other users
    > 
    > DDoS Protection: Yes
    > 
    > Number of IPs: 1
    >  
    > Location: ANY
    > 
    > Budget: less than $100
    > 
    > Billing period: flexible (monthly / quarterly / yearly)
    > 

Feel free to check out our storage dedicated servers:

https://st-hosting.com/dedicatedserver

Intel Xeon E3-1270v6
    RAM 32 GB
    HDD 2 x 10 TB Hardware RAID 1
    Traffic Fair Use (up to 50 TB)
    Uplink 1 Gbit/s
    OS Linux or Windows
    IPv4: 5

For 69 Euro per month

All our servers are prepaid based, so you don't have to sign a contract with a fixed period.
    The servers comes with the following services included:

5x IPv4 Adresses for free included (more available via Support)
    1 Gbit/s Connection
    Fair Use Traffic Policy (50 TB per month)
    OS Installer (with all of the current Systems - Linux, Proxmox, Windows etc.)
    Custom ISO Installer
    DDoS Protection
    RDNS Management
    Own ASN #as208208
    Premium Datacenter with high-quality routing in Frankfurt, Germany

Best regards,
    your ST-Hosting Team

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Hello, @banskt

We could offer you our dedicated server plan that should fit your needs:

CPU: XEON E5-2620v3
    RAM: 16GB DDR4