Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers offering terrible support - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers offering terrible support

2»

Comments

• @rcy026 said:

@emgh said:

@rcy026 said: Some people claim that they do, but they have no idea what mission critical really means.

xD

To be clear and not just troll:

The funny thing with the comment above is that you claim that people here have a different understanding of mission critical compared to other places and therefore the people here are wrong

It's as if words mean different things in different places

Also, there's always going to be bigger fish, and, mission critical is personal, if a startup of 10 employees rely on a service for those 10 employees to be able to get their salary, support their family and pay their rent, that's mission critical to them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_critical

First actual sentence: "A mission critical system is a system that is essential to the survival of a business or organization."

You are correct, the phrase mission critical of course depends on situation. I was just jokingly referring to all the people that claim "I lose a million dollar per hour" when their $7 vps is down. Mission critical might not have been the correct term to use.

Yep, agreed. I don't get people mentioning relativity new providers just reselling OVH as recommended providers for prod

Thanked by 1chip
  • @chip said:
    but as emgh says mission critical is really down to point of view... my e-mail is mission critical to me... it wont be to anyone else.....it makes me no money, isn't even business related, but i rely on it heavily for communication.

but yes i see the point you are trying to make the $7 per month VPs shouldn't be hosting your million pound per hour website ... thats an AWS/Azure job for sure.... but is this down to expectations? understanding? a mix of the two? something else?

I think a lot of times it's simply entitlement. A lot of people today think they are entitled to everything, no matter what they do or how much they pay. The concept of something actually being their own responsibility is totally foreign to them, everything is always someone elses fault.

Thanked by 2chip emgh
  • @rcy026 said:
    I think a lot of times it's simply entitlement. A lot of people today think they are entitled to everything, no matter what they do or how much they pay. The concept of something actually being their own responsibility is totally foreign to them, everything is always someone elses fault.

I think this is part of the problem, we have a world of overpampered mummy's children that think everything should be handed to them on a plate and anything that involves work is unfair/bullying/ against their human rights etc.... i read a story in the paper about a pregnant woman who was off on maternity leave that wasn't invited to the works doo and she sued and won on the grounds it was "discriminative" ... WOW!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@chip said:
    So is that an education and understanding issue?

Yes, mostly. Those who usually buy cheapo VPS' are usually coming from Shared hosting trying to do something different, don't totally understand what a VPS is. Mostly, this is not everyone of course.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@chip said: but yes i see the point you are trying to make the $7 per month VPs shouldn't be hosting your million pound per hour website ... thats an AWS/Azure job for sure....

No, it isn't.

I have a hard time understanding people who are introducing SPoFs into their mission critical stuff.
    Your 1 million an hour website cannot be hosted in just one location. You would be having some cloudflare setup with fallback in case CF is down, and multiple locations.

AWS and Azure can be down, you need someone to monitor the situation all the time and sync everything in case of massive failures. If you only have one location, such person would have nothing to do, you need to have everything prepared, a plan B, C and even D.
    If you have someone to monitor all the time, then you can host with anyone, for as long as you have synced databases, because, if OVH, Hezner, Hivelocity, some random Japanese/Korean/SG/Australian/etc. hosts are all down, then the planet is down and there is nothing anyone could do, but otherwise you would have cheap and redundant hosting with load balancing and low latency as needed. A RAIH, of sorts.