Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Specialty Ex\Terrestrial VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Specialty Ex\Terrestrial VPS

This is my first post but have been lurking for many years. Thank you for your time.

I'm curious in the demand on the low end about a direct attached Radio, SDR, GPS enabled, variety of low and high band receivers for other purposes. A $10 VPS ground station

My question for the community would a radio ground station to be of any value to anyone here? SDR to IP, Antenna TV to IP, Satellite FTA to IP.

EST U.S Time Zone

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I suppose you cannot virtualize a radio receiver.
    You have to passthrough one radio receive into each KVM server.
    This may generate some value if your setup can get clear signal of what the user wants to receive.

Thanked by 1Otus9051
  • What would be the use cases for such a setup?

• xxslxxsl Member, LIR

My question for the community would a radio ground station to be of any value to anyone here? SDR to IP, Antenna TV to IP, Satellite FTA to IP.

There are already similar projects there like:
    http://www.websdr.org

Also some providers can rent their DC roof for radio equipments, though most of their users are only for TV to IP.

So of course it could be value for some users.

For the idea of Low End VPS ground station, attaching many rtl-sdr usb dongles and pass each independently to vpses would be very interesting and attractive for radio hobbists.

But,

I should say this kind of business is more and more risky recently, be careful of breaking the law of your country when politic abusers come and also should be avoid of providing SDRs with transmitter (USRP/HackRF such thing).

Thanked by 1claudio
  • Depending on where you are, one of my hobbies is running ADS-B responders via rPis, mostly because I'm an aviation geek and have been for most of my life. I happen to live fairly close to a major air force base and there's some interesting (sadly no UFOs but I guess the FAA doesn't have jurisdiction) that fly by all the time. It's pretty hard to explain why thsi is interesting if you aren't the type to geek out over this sort of thing but it's perfectly legal, all planes carry ADS-B transponders (without them, ATC wouldn't know where they are and... you can't imagine why that would be a problem), and signals go one way.

Software takes up little space, but needs some direct line of sight to the sky, and preferably you are not under teh landing runway of some airport. The thing is, it does require a one time cost for the filter and antenna. They cost anything between $15 and $60 on Amazon.

You can't virtualize the filter and antenna of course, but passthrough works. VMs are almost. Thing is it needs to be on all the time, and preferably it is not too close to another receiver.

The kind of software/hardware needed can be found here: https://github.com/rickstaa/awesome-adsb

Thanked by 2alilet mrTom
  • @paco said:
    Depending on where you are, one of my hobbies is running ADS-B responders via rPis, mostly because I'm an aviation geek and have been for most of my life.

Hey me too! Moved and ended up with nothing interesting. Definitely miss living next to base.

• briceperduebriceperdue Member
    edited September 2023

Thanks everyone for the feedback and input. @jmaxwell some customers use it for antenna TV, testing FTA on satellite. @paco @Don_Keedic thanks for this I live near an airport and you can now find me on flightaware pretty interesting stuff.

• edited September 2023

dog park and mac long ago. small communities do exactly that but ive moved and no more into it, ;)

was very slow but nowadays with new devices should reach megabytes or gigabytes as per the $$ one inject in