Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Storage Box - Connection Limits?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Storage Box - Connection Limits?

donbdonb Member
edited September 2023 in Help

Hi people!

It's been ~2 months that I've been using Hetzner's storage box services. Mainly for backing up some data.

Today I had queued an upload of ~4GB data using the SSH. It transferred about ~3GB of it and then all of a sudden, I started losing connection. I am not even able to access the hetzner website from my browser.

In fact, my self-hosted nextcloud server (hosted elsewhere) also connects to the same Hetzner box using the external storage feature (over SFTP). Although I see it connected in the ext-storage settings, it fails to open when I try opening the folder from within the nextcloud files (Error - Operation Not Permitted). Also, the sync has stopped (Error - Not found).

Strangely, I am able to connect to the hetzner instance & website when I change my IP address (used a VPN).

Now, is there any connection limit or something similar with Hetzner Storage Box services? Do the systems at Hetzner throttle connections over huge uploads? Does an IP get blacklisted for a cooldown period, if you try uploading huge data using ssh?
Are there any such limits? What could possibly be wrong?

Kindly share your thoughts.

@Hetzner_OL

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

It has a limit of 10 Concurrent connections.
    I have came across many comments here in LET about timeouts and connection issues with Hetzner storage boxes.
    A few examples:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3638825#Comment_3638825
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3617038

Thanked by 1loay
  • They have never been stable, but they are the cheapest per TB of data (before the idrive e2 new pricing).

• I've found that proxying traffic to the Storage Box through a Hetzner Cloud VM worked really well, and pretty much solved most of the issues.

Thanked by 2loay rafaelscs
  • @Val said: I've found that proxying traffic to the Storage Box through a Hetzner Cloud VM worked really well, and pretty much solved most of the issues.

Does that bypass the connection limit since its internal traffic?

• @jahrinc said:

@Val said: I've found that proxying traffic to the Storage Box through a Hetzner Cloud VM worked really well, and pretty much solved most of the issues.

Does that bypass the connection limit since its internal traffic?

Yes, but it's a connection limit, not a number of concurrent IP limit. So you must use at max 10 connections even from the VM, but it's doable to use max 10 connections from the VM while as many servers as you want use this VM, using something like rclone mount on the VM and specifying the max number of concurrent connections. Then you can access the rclone mount point over sshfs. It's a bit janky but it can be made to work.

• @NetDynamics24 said: It has a limit of 10 Concurrent connections.

I have been using only 2 concurrent connections from my IP.

• UPDATE & Conclusion (for the purposes of record):

I had to wait for the cooldown period to end, so that I could connect back to the instance using my IP.

Also, on nextcloud, I had to remove the existing ext-storage & re-add it to start the sync again.

Possibly due to the limits, it is better not to queue up huge uploads (>3GB) on storage box.