Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it okay to offer Windows 10/11?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it okay to offer Windows 10/11?

Hi, I was wondering is it okay if offering Windows 10/11 for VPS? Of course with not license. As I know the policy wouldn't allow that.

Comments

• If you have an agreement with MS to distribute unlicensed instances of their software, yes. Otherwise, and very likely the case for you, no you should not.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AFAIK (because MS EULA is so complicated so there might be some special exceptions I could not find) there is no way to offer client Windows remotely. In a Datacenter you can only offer server versions.

• What about people who are installing win10 on their own?

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

@shafire said:
    What about people who are installing win10 on their own?

If they install it themselves then there is not much you can do, I mean you can obviously suspend them or contact them, but generally you will not get abuse complaints unless you specifically offer Windows to the client, you can offer an ISO but again if good old MS comes to you and says shut that down even if you had no knowledge you are best to contact the client and make them aware that they need to remove the windows install.

Basically don't find a way to get into MS scope, if you offer Windows desktop editions without permission from MS and on the off chance they notice, well you can almost guarantee that they have more legal action.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • So basically those are offering is not legal? Even Evaluations?

• No, it is not ok. Just offer "custom iso" mount. This means user can load whatever abomination of OS he wants.

Thanked by 2Erisa maverickp
  • To my understanding, "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC" licences can be used in "rented/cloud" mode.

• HizakuraHizakura Member, Patron Provider

It's better not offering that, but you can allow your client to upload their own ISOs.

• YaliSmithYaliSmith Member
    edited October 2023

Offering Windows 10/11 for VPS without a license is definitely a tricky issue. Microsoft's licensing policies are pretty strict about this, and you could find yourself in hot water if you go against them.

That said, there are alternative ways to make Windows more accessible without violating any terms. For instance, you might direct users to places where they can obtain their own legitimate keys at a reduced cost. There's a thread on windows 10 product key reddit that offers some insights into this, although you'll need to make sure to vet any third-party sellers thoroughly.

• majority in this thread seems has no direct experience with win10/11 offering.

I suggest you to try it out, and if MS after your arse just cry about it in LET. I'm sure others also welcome the drama.
    just my $7

• I once were using a VPS from a company that I don't see appropriate to name here which actually offered Windows 10 installs but after two month of usage, I (I suppose many others) got a ticket stating that we should backup the data as they have to get rid of Windows boxes.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

FYI: Win10 maxes out at 2cores on a VPS so its somewhat limiting. For some reason its limited and you will only see 2 cores task manager >> Performance tab

• balrammbalramm Member, Host Rep

@oplink said:
    FYI: Win10 maxes out at 2cores on a VPS so its somewhat limiting. For some reason its limited and you will only see 2 cores task manager >> Performance tab

Direct on Dedi or you are talking about Windows VM with virtualization?

@balramm said:

@oplink said:

Direct on Dedi or you are talking about Windows VM with virtualization?

Win10 VPS is limited to 2cores

@oplink said: Win10 maxes out at 2cores on a VPS so its somewhat limiting.

Where have you got that from? I am running in my own Proxmox server with full 4 cores (laptop has 4 cores 8 threads). AFAIK that was a limitation in windows XP 32 bit, or some other thing so long ago that I forgot :P

@YaliSmith said: That said, there are alternative ways to make Windows more accessible without violating any terms. For instance, you might direct users to places where they can obtain their own legitimate keys at a reduced cost.

Nope, client Windows is not allowed in a DC (albeit could be an exception for LTSC as someone pointed out) regardless if trial, pirated or correctly keyed.

@Maounique said: Where have you got that from? I am running in my own Proxmox server with full 4 cores

Exactly, I am running with 8 core with proxmox.
    @oplink May have tried with any panel such as Virtualizor which does not support Windows properly, especially Win 10/11 Versions

Might be the way the CPU settings kvm settings. Are you using pass through in proxmox?

@oplink said:
    Might be the way the CPU settings kvm settings. Are you using pass through in proxmox?

I always use Host pass through, never tried without that.

• @oplink said:

Windows 10 VM can only see 2 sockets.
    If you are using 1 core per socket and assign 4 cores/sockets, Windows can only see 2 cores/sockets.
    Workaround is to assign all cores on single socket.

@oplink said: Win10 maxes out at 2cores

@Megumiso said: Windows 10 VM can only see 2 sockets.

Sockets, not cores.