Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playground for Docker / K8s
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Playground for Docker / K8s

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hello!
Since in my career the next stage is to do the management of some k8s clusters, not only DevOps for the hosted applications, I wanted to ask you, if any of you have played or intend to do it with at least 3 nodes (one master and two workers) and how much/where you paid.
Obviously, I will most likely play on the HAZI.ro infrastructure, thus creating ansible roles from 0 for cluster management (from installation to security patches), but I do not rule out offering this installation for free to my customers who buy the minimum number of servers required (probably with a generous offer, since it is a bundle) to simulate a "production ready" environment, even if it is not in reality due to the fact that we have only one AZ.
I'm making this topic because I'm not convinced if I'm the only one who has this passion in my blood for the latest trends related to infra or if there are others like me who didn't have the courage to take steps in this direction.

Would you ever buy a turnkey k8s cluster for about 20 EUR per month that is not production ready?
  1. Yes, I would like to learn more, but the traditional Cloud is too expensive.29 votes
    1. No, I'm not interested in Docker/K8s.
      62.07%
    2. I wouldn't buy a cluster just to play, but I would settle for a locally hosted one(single node).
      37.93%

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people use plain Docker Compose.
    So-called cluster often breaks Ethernet traffic and sometimes forces NAT, not good.

• I would recommend at least three master, you can do a setup where each of the master are also workers.
    OVH/Vultr and a few other providers usually offer the control plane. To offer that freely, they usually run the control plane software inside of another k8s cluster where all of their customers' master are themselves containerized, and the dedicated worker nodes connects to these pods on the other cluster.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Val said:
    I would recommend at least three master, you can do a setup where each of the master are also workers.
    OVH/Vultr and a few other providers usually offer the control plane. To offer that freely, they usually run the control plane software inside of another k8s cluster where all of their customers' master are themselves containerized, and the dedicated worker nodes connects to these pods on the other cluster.

Thanks for feedback!
    What about costs on OVH/other solutions you found?

• @FlorinMarian said:

@Val said:
    I would recommend at least three master, you can do a setup where each of the master are also workers.

Thanks for feedback!
    What about costs on OVH/other solutions you found?

The price of managed k8s is usually just the usual price of the underlying VPS (+ storage, traffic...), excluding masters which is frequently free.
    But be careful, offering a managed k8s is not just about 3 VPS with k8s running on it. You need to support provisioning of volumes (StorageClass), creating Load Balancers...

Thanked by 1maverick
  • I have a couple of OpenShift clusters - one running on Kimsufis as cheaply as possible, the other at home. The Kimsufi one is a 3 control plane cluster, running workloads on the control plane.

Managed offerings are usually tightly integrated with other cloud services, like load balancing, cluster autoscaling, storage, etc. Upgrading can be a bit more involved than the normal "apt upgrade -y".

If you're wanting to learn, k3s is a great option for setting up a multi-node cluster in minutes on low end boxes. @vitobotta has a great tool to run it on Hetzner

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • Thanks @Peppery9. @FlorinMarian if you end up trying it let me know if you run into any issues. Happy to help

Thanked by 2FlorinMarian ariq01
  • @yoursunny said:
    Mentally strong people use plain Docker Compose.
    So-called cluster often breaks Ethernet traffic and sometimes forces NAT, not good.

mentally fucked people use lxc

• mentally fucked people use lxc

What's wrong with lxc?

Thanked by 2yoursunny Peppery9