Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a cheapie with ~500gb storage (for backups)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a cheapie with ~500gb storage (for backups)

DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
edited September 2023 in Requests

Lately I have been reworking my storage and the way i store and backup data.

I have decided I would like a server (preferably far away from Germany) to store my ultra important duplicati (encrypted) backups. (documents, some pictures)

currently slightly less than 200 GB, with versioning and whatnot i should not exceed 500gb in the next 3 years.

specs:
CPU: Any
IPv4: NAT is enough, 1 port for ssh, 1 port to use
IPv6: no need, will take if you have
RAM: 256mb, but preferably 512mb
Custom ISO: preferably yes (not a must) or alpine, alpine is good
Bandwidth: should equal to whatever the storage is
Networking: 0.1/0.1 gig is enough
uptime: 99.86% i allow you 12h per year of downtime.
deadpool/exit scam: please let, me know 1 month before server is gone so i can pull my data. a email is enough, will be kept confidencial.

paying plan and cost, depends on your company, if you here for many many years i dont mind prepaying 2 years.

price per tb, if possible 2€ (tax included)

I'm aware 500gb is not a lot, max i could accept is 1tb (lowest i could go is 300gb)

what is possible?

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Hi,
    you can check our backup storage plans in multiple locations:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    30% recurring discount with coupon code:
    LET30%

Thanked by 1kuticon
  • @DeadlyChemist said:
    Lately I have been reworking my storage and the way i store and backup data.

I have decided I would like a server (preferably far away from Germany) to store my ultra important duplicati (encrypted) backups. (documents, some pictures)

currently slightly less than 200 GB, with versioning and whatnot i should not exceed 500gb in the next 3 years.

specs:
    CPU: Any
    IPv4: NAT is enough, 1 port for ssh, 1 port to use
    IPv6: no need, will take if you have
    RAM: 256mb, but preferably 512mb
    Custom ISO: preferably yes (not a must) or alpine, alpine is good
    Bandwidth: should equal to whatever the storage is
    Networking: 0.1/0.1 gig is enough
    uptime: 99.86% i allow you 12h per year of downtime.
    deadpool/exit scam: please let, me know 1 month before server is gone so i can pull my data. a email is enough, will be kept confidencial.

paying plan and cost, depends on your company, if you here for many many years i dont mind prepaying 2 years.

price per tb, please under 2€ (tax included)

I'm aware 500gb is not a lot, max i could accept is 1tb (lowest i could go is 300gb)

what is possible?

DM

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@DeadlyChemist said: will be kept confidencial.

lol

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • @FatGrizzly said:

@DeadlyChemist said: will be kept confidencial.

lol

yeah, we dont talk about it

• @labze has 1TB NAT for 2,50$ in Germany

aff link

non-aff link

or 1TB NAT for 3,75$ in Finland

aff link

non-aff link

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited September 2023

@servarica_hani still has some really good offers. https://clients.servarica.com/store/black-friday-2022
    Maybe the Opossum would fit you, it's 1G/1C/1TB, 4TB@1Gbps or unlimited at 100Mbs, $29/year.

I've been running one of their ipv6 only storage specials for years and it's been solid as a rock.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited September 2023
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Full SSH jailed access to user dir; SFTP, FTP, rSync, Duplicity

Our backup servers run ZFS with up to 7 daily snapshots, we can custom configure this for more or less for each customer. Starting at 500GB, storage costs are $0.01 per GB.

World Class 10-gigabit Network with IPv6 Connectivity, No Usage/Seat Fees, No Egress Charges, No Contracts, fully unmetered in/out.

https://clients.microtronix-tech.com/link.php?id=79

• Cheapest you can find is Opossum 1 Storage VPS from Servarica for 29$/y 1tb in Montreal i think.

• @dyren said: @labze has 1TB NAT for 2,50$ in Germany

aff link

non-aff link

does not look bad, will consider

@dyren said: or 1TB NAT for 3,75$ in Finland

aff link

non-aff link

nah

@rcy026 said:
    @servarica_hani still has some really good offers. https://clients.servarica.com/store/black-friday-2022
    Maybe the Opossum would fit you, it's 1G/1C/1TB, 4TB@1Gbps or unlimited at 100Mbs, $29/year.

I've been running one of their ipv6 only storage specials for years and it's been solid as a rock.

will consider

@jfreak53 said:
    Full SSH jailed access to user dir; SFTP, FTP, rSync, Duplicity

Our backup servers run ZFS with up to 7 daily snapshots, we can custom configure this for more or less for each customer. Starting at 500GB, storage costs are $0.01 per GB.

World Class 10-gigabit Network with IPv6 Connectivity, No Usage/Seat Fees, No Egress Charges, No Contracts, fully unmetered in/out.

https://clients.microtronix-tech.com/link.php?id=79

pricy, obviously the daily backups is a win, but it's not what im looking for

• GreenCloud -> $25 annually / $70 triennially

• @edrebe said:
    GreenCloud -> $25 annually / $70 triennially

link...?

• @labze hostbrr

• @nyamenk said:
    @labze hostbrr

Was kind of hoping for a offer from the man himself lol, even if the deal posted above is pretty good and considering it

• Why far away from Germany I may ask? :smile:

• @NetDynamics24 said:
    Hi,
    you can check our backup storage plans in multiple locations:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    30% recurring discount with coupon code:
    LET30%

+1 for this guy. Good service.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited September 2023

Why would you want backup VPS hosted on one server?
    S3 backup space that is built on multinode setup is a lot better.

Scaleway Glacier ends up at 1euro/mo for what you need (2euro for 1TB). 75GB egress free per month, but if you route that via Scaleway instance then egress is unlimited and you just pay for couple of hours of instance (like 5 cents).

Backblaze B2 ends up at $3/mo for what you need ($6 for 1TB), 3x storage space egress for free (if you have 500GB files you have 1.5TB free egress).

And with these services you pay for what you host currently (200GB in your example) and you don't need to care about reaching limits and over provisioning.

VPS is more expensive and it's a lot less durable. Data can be easily lost, one server is single point of failure. With Backblaze or Glacier not that easy, couple of servers would need to crash to have any impact on your data.
    If you are worried about geographical security then you may like fact that Glacier is hosted in DC that is built in underground bunker under Paris.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for all the recommendations!

@DeadlyChemist said:

@nyamenk said:
    @labze hostbrr

Was kind of hoping for a offer from the man himself lol, even if the deal posted above is pretty good and considering it

I haven't really chimed in as you ask for something away from Germany, while pretty much everything I offer storage-wise is in Germany, or Finland :)

• @labze said: or Finland :)

finland would be fine i guess

@AXYZE said: VPS is more expensive and it's a lot less durable. Data can be easily lost, one server is single point of failure.

dont mind less durable
    but yeah, ill check whatever you sent, backblaze looks too expensive for my use case

@MattBGP said: Why far away from Germany I may ask? :smile:

dont like having 2 copies and original in germany (paranoia)

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@labze said: or Finland :)

finland would be fine i guess

@AXYZE said: VPS is more expensive and it's a lot less durable. Data can be easily lost, one server is single point of failure.

dont mind less durable
    but yeah, ill check whatever you sent, backblaze looks too expensive for my use case

@MattBGP said: Why far away from Germany I may ask? :smile:

dont like having 2 copies and original in germany (paranoia)

How about Netherlands?

• @MattBGP said: How about Netherlands?

not my first choice but could be...

• SauronSauron Member
    edited September 2023

Is there a reason why you need a VPS for storage and not ordinary cloud storage? Normal cloud storage usually uses RAID for reliability, and cheap VPS providers mostly do not.

• @Sauron said:
    Is there a reason why you need a VPS for storage and not ordinary cloud storage? Normal cloud storage usually uses RAID for reliability, and cheap VPS providers mostly do not.

price, also running scripts would make it possible

• Someone just posted an offer for the exact thing you need https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/171580/12gb-ram-500gb-hdd-openvz-4gb-ssd-kvm-5-m-chicago-il/p1 (I do not use this provider so I do not know how well they are. Do your own research)

• https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/ why not them? Less than 2€/month

• @ivlad said:
    Someone just posted an offer for the exact thing you need https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/171580/12gb-ram-500gb-hdd-openvz-4gb-ssd-kvm-5-m-chicago-il/p1 (I do not use this provider so I do not know how well they are. Do your own research)

• @gbzret4d said:
    https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/ why not them? Less than 2€/month

this looks cheap, very good
    will consider this lol, i mean no vps... buuut for this price? damm

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@gbzret4d said:
    https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/ why not them? Less than 2€/month

this looks cheap, very good
    will consider this lol, i mean no vps... buuut for this price? damm

im happy with them just ask them through ticket for a renewal discount.

• wish could update it with "found"

was approached by @c1vhosting with a awesome, honest deal. exactly what i want, no string attached. really cheap tbh.
    the only string attached is that he accepts card only (no paypal), and well.... i dont have one, had to decline.

@labze / Hostbrr was my 2nd choice.
    the deal i managed to negotiate is very very good, matches or exceeds my requirements on top. i will not share details but yeah. it's "the stuff"

The website is, well same as all other providers...
    the VPS management panel "Powered by VirtFusion"
    i like it, you can't add custom iso, you need to contact support for that
    but it has everything you need plus the networking stuff... everything is there, no bs. ipv4 nat stuff layed out there, even portforwarded from 22 to whatever is already set (they allow you to change it, which is cool!)
    the answer time was like 10-20mins, which is insanely good.

iso mounted (alpine)
    all works perfectly. ping home is 40ms (please dont triang me) (which is irrelevant in my case)

thats my mini review.
    now time to create like 50 folders and use duplicati to upload my "stuff".