Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As in lowEnd forum, wonder how many people providing VPS services from home, where have le
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

As in lowEnd forum, wonder how many people providing VPS services from home, where have le

As in LowEnd forum, wonder how many people providing VPS service from home, where have Pro lowend internet network and Pro lowend style tech support. Stepping up from homelab.

Comments

• Only Calin provides VPS from his garage somewhere in Romania.
    Most other providers are honest :smiley:

Thanked by 2Calin PineappleM
  • @xoctopus said:
    Only Calin provides VPS from his garage somewhere in Romania.
    Most other providers are honest :smiley:

Why there is a smiling face emoji after honest? Do you want us to think the other ways?

• @momomo said: Why there is a smiling face emoji after honest? Do you want us to think the other ways?

The smiling face is because:

1) Calin doesn't really use his garage
    2) Some providers that tell you we are Tier1-3 100TBps network actually just
    run single homed peering to a nearest ISP, with a /24 leased IP space from IPXO.

You can never know before you try.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • momomomomomo Member
    edited September 2023

@xoctopus said:

@momomo said: Why there is a smiling face emoji after honest? Do you want us to think the other ways?

The smiling face is because:

1) Calin doesn't really use his garage
    2) Some providers that tell you we are Tier1-3 100TBps network actually just
    run single homed peering to a nearest ISP, with a /24 leased IP space from IPXO.

sad,Calin doesn't really use his garage, was hopping to try out some "real" lowend services.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2023

To me it is irrelevant how many do this. I do not care if the server is under the bed of some dude. I do not even care if the provider uses Rasbperry Pi configured as servers. This is a low-end forum - I mostly care about the renewal price, the quality of service, and the passion of the provider for servers.

Thanked by 2Saahib PulsedMedia
  • @FlorinMarian hosts from a closet, Calin supposedly is moving to a real datacenter. Calin is actually being smart about this, hosting from home in the beginning, and growing to the scale where a datacenter makes sense. Florin is going in the opposite direction, seemingly for fun.

• @fluffernutter said: Florin is going in the opposite direction, seemingly for fun.

:D

• i host from my dinning table

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

@fluffernutter said:
    @FlorinMarian hosts from a closet, Calin supposedly is moving to a real datacenter. Calin is actually being smart about this, hosting from home in the beginning, and growing to the scale where a datacenter makes sense. Florin is going in the opposite direction, seemingly for fun.

It depends on what you want.
    Calin may wish to have the hosting business as his main source of income.
    I, on the other hand, throw money into this business because I am very passionate about understanding everything that happens in such a small data center.
    My source of income is my job and it will remain so.
    If Calin wants to go to the Datacenter, I wish him the best of luck - that means he is a much better manager than me, who would go bankrupt if I had to offer what we currently offer to our clients at the DC price.

And as a matter of fact, there is not much difference between my home datacenter and the one where I had colocated servers before I created my home datacenter, I say.

https://bgp.he.net/AS57403 vs https://bgp.he.net/AS39383

It's even better because here I really have my own 1Gbps GUARANTEED bandwidth and unlimited traffic, not 30TB/mo per server.

Thanked by 1d2411
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    I, on the other hand, throw money into this business because I am very passionate about understanding everything that happens in such a small data center.

"seemingly for fun"

And as a matter of fact, there is not much difference between my home datacenter and the one where I had colocated servers before I created my home datacenter, I say.

This is because you do not know about datacenters.

It's even better because here I really have my own 1Gbps GUARANTEED bandwidth and unlimited traffic, not 30TB/mo per server.

You can get inexpensive transit for as little as $75 per gigabit on low commits. Your current transit is a residential line and isn't resiliant to the same things an enterprise connection would be. Also better for your bottom line doesn't always translate to better for end users, at least 99% of the time.

I think it's cool that you're having fun with your project, and actually hope it goes well for you. You don't rely on it for income, you're doing it to learn, and you're letting other people come along for the ride. I do genuinely hope you end up learning a good bit and applying it to your current (or future) careers. That being said, your house will never be better than an actual datacenter, and it's misleading to say otherwise.

@fluffernutter said:

@FlorinMarian said:

"seemingly for fun"

You can get inexpensive transit for as little as $75 per gigabit on low commits. Your current transit is a residential line and isn't resiliant to the same things an enterprise connection would be. Also better for your bottom line doesn't always translate to better for end users, at least 99% of the time.

I think it's cool that you're having fun with your project, and actually hope it goes well for you. You don't rely on it for income, you're doing it to learn, and you're letting other people come along for the ride. I do genuinely hope you end up learning a good bit and applying it to your current (or future) careers. That being said, your house will never be better than an actual datacenter, and it's misleading to say otherwise.

I agree with what you said, except for the fact that my transit line is residential.
    Here is a photo of the 3 internet cables entering our location, all fiber optic:

• the very thin one, 1800Mbps best effort only used to separate the home from the DC (very useful in case of a DDoS attack)
    • the one with 2 wires, 150Mbps dedicated
    • the very thick one, 10Gbps capacity end to end - 12km dedicated line, don't tell me, please, that's a residential line.
  • @FlorinMarian said:

@fluffernutter said:

@FlorinMarian said:

"seemingly for fun"

I agree with what you said, except for the fact that my transit line is residential.
    Here is a photo of the 3 internet cables entering our location, all fiber optic:

• the very thin one, 1800Mbps best effort only used to separate the home from the DC (very useful in case of a DDoS attack)
    • the very thick one, 10Gbps capacity end to end - 12km dedicated line, don't tell me, please, that's a residential line.

I have a 25gbit residential line, for what it's worth. Capacity doesn't really matter when talking about SLAs and redundancy.

@fluffernutter said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@fluffernutter said:

@FlorinMarian said:

"seemingly for fun"

I have a 25gbit residential line, for what it's worth. Capacity doesn't really matter when talking about SLAs and redundancy.

The Internet reaches 2km from our location from 2 different "O-shaped" points precisely for redundancy in case the fiber breaks.
    The only situation for us to be without internet would be if someone knocked down a pole on that 2km distance, but that has never happened in my 28 years of life, the chances are very small because my town is a remote one, not a transit one .
    Then, even if this were to happen, the incident would be fixed in a few hours because both contracts with guaranteed bandwidth allow me to terminate the contract if the SLA drops below 99% and for them such a thing would be disastrous because they would end up in the situation in which they would not amortize these investments made just for me.
    I am lucky that I have a large capacity of guaranteed and redundant internet at my disposal because the internet cables that go to Iasi (the 4th largest city in Romania) pass through the area.

• When passion will gone, there will be persons who will cry.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • @xoctopus said: Only Calin provides VPS from his garage somewhere in Romania.

Cociu as their partner still exist? He provide something in his mountain castle.

• Ax3LAx3L Member
    edited September 2023

I host from Moon's south pole

• @jenkki said:

@xoctopus said: Only Calin provides VPS from his garage somewhere in Romania.

Cociu as their partner still exist? He provide something in his mountain castle.

He probably transformed into alkocholic. His perfume business bancrupted and he is well known exit scammer. Worse than that was nexusbytes exit scam.

• @LTniger said: He probably transformed into alkocholic.

The combined forces of the DMCA tried to capture the castle then put a Trojan Horse at the gates. Soon a white flag was thrown out of the castle.

After which he was seen in the Bahamas with Nekki running around in the chamomile fields.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@fluffernutter said:
    @FlorinMarian hosts from a closet, Calin supposedly is moving to a real datacenter. Calin is actually being smart about this, hosting from home in the beginning, and growing to the scale where a datacenter makes sense. Florin is going in the opposite direction, seemingly for fun.

It depends on what you want.
    If Calin wants to go to the Datacenter, I wish him the best of luck - that means he is a much better manager than me, who would go bankrupt if I had to offer what we currently offer to our clients at the DC price.

https://bgp.he.net/AS57403 vs https://bgp.he.net/AS39383

i would like one of your closet servers thakn you

• @Otus9051 said:

i would like one of your closet servers thakn you

Closet or attic, bro has high standards and considers his setup as some futuristic apocalypse proof DC. It’s not for peasants like you or me.

• SlowDDSlowDD Member
    edited September 2023

@xoctopus said:

second this. Even with more professional ones there are hiccups, not even just technical. Bad service, problems with payment etc. I would never go "all in" on the first provider. I've had contact with hosts that co-locate in a Hetzner datacenter and they have NO IDEA what they are doing.

• SillyGooseSillyGoose Member
    edited September 2023

I think i should also have home datacenter. But not interested in burning my house down.

• I host under my bed so when it smells funny I can easily take a bucket of cold water and fix the situation.

• @LTniger said:

@jenkki said:

@xoctopus said: Only Calin provides VPS from his garage somewhere in Romania.

He probably transformed into alkocholic. His perfume business bancrupted and he is well known exit scammer. Worse than that was nexusbytes exit scam.

He is also a scammer. He offers his sisters but sends his brother in a dress.

0/10