Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hurricane Electric Free Colo, did anyone try?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hurricane Electric Free Colo, did anyone try?

Has anyone here tried the free colo offered by HE in FMT2? As far as I understood, this offer was created to replace their previous IPv6 BGP tunnel solution after multiple cases of abuse.
More context and the requirements here: https://reddit.com/r/ipv6/s/PwkMARJA5U

Thanks!

PS: You probably get what you pay for, but it would be interesting to know if there actually ever was someone who used this generous offer.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They terminate customers rather than passing on complaints, wouldn't risk it unless you were hosting something unlikely to ever be controversial like hamster dance.

Thanked by 3Val MannDude Otus9051
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2023

That link is 3.5 years old.

Thanked by 1Val
  • @jar said:
    They terminate customers rather than passing on complaints, wouldn't risk it unless you were hosting something unlikely to ever be controversial like hamster dance.

I'm sure there is someone somewhere who would somehow be offended by hamster dance.

Thanked by 1jar
  • rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

I’m one that took the offer and still have to this day. So far, no issues at all with it. There was some upfront costs to get started like providing your own pdu for the cabinet and if you wanted it switch to the square mounting bracket. I’m not near it so I use there in house services for mounting and any work that needs did. But, I remember seeing a lot more people take that offer too.

Thanked by 1Val
  • @rickey318 said:
    I’m one that took the offer and still have to this day. So far, no issues at all with it. There was some upfront costs to get started like providing your own pdu for the cabinet and if you wanted it switch to the square mounting bracket. I’m not near it so I use there in house services for mounting and any work that needs did. But, I remember seeing a lot more people take that offer too.

Glad to know that someone took the 3.5 years old (@default ;-) ) offer and actually still use it to this day!
    Would you be okay if I DM you for a few questions?

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@jar said:

hamster dance was oddly specific...

Thanked by 1jar
  • rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

Sure

@Val said:

@rickey318 said:

Glad to know that someone took the 3.5 years old (@default ;-) ) offer and actually still use it to this day!
    Would you be okay if I DM you for a few questions?

Thanked by 1Val
  • Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited September 2023

August says it's good but they have shitty support apparently. I emailed them for a tunnel from SG to my home and they havent replied back, almost 12h now.

Also apparently you need an ASN which is older than 12 months to qualify.

Thanked by 1Val
  • @Otus9051 said:
    August says

It’s September now and it says “do a backflip”