Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did QuadraNet know my name and email address from dead Dedipath? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How did QuadraNet know my name and email address from dead Dedipath?

2»

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@jsg said:

@kdh said:
    I also don't give a fuck about GDPR. I'm not gonna be coming out with a special treatment exclusively for European customers just because of a stupid law they have.

Says a korean student with a largely empty website and afaik exactly zero products...

A small hint: EUrope had vastly more people (~ potential customers) than the USA. So telling us Europeans that you don't care a flying f#ck about our rights is, uhm, not exactly the summit of business smartness.

It's not our GDPR that is stupid here ...

Also he seems to be very wrong.

You own your data on Reddit, if you live in the EU or in California (and some other states): https://thomashunter.name/posts/2023-06-19-how-to-delete-reddit-account-gdpr-ccpa

Thanked by 2jsg kdh
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2023

@jsg said:

@kdh said:
    I also don't give a fuck about GDPR. I'm not gonna be coming out with a special treatment exclusively for European customers just because of a stupid law they have.

Says a korean student with a largely empty website and afaik exactly zero products...

A small hint: EUrope had vastly more people (~ potential customers) than the USA. So telling us Europeans that you don't care a flying f#ck about our rights is, uhm, not exactly the summit of business smartness.

Be that as it may, it's not a reason for someone outside of the EU to not know THEIR rights, and telling me you (not actually you) don't give a shit about my rights isn't exactly the best way to make me care about yours. Not that you are, but I could throw a rock and hit 6 people who have, and usually with the most condescending attitude one can gather. It's no secret why I like to push back against those people. Their tone usually implies that they own me because their law says so, bursting that bubble feels very healthy.

Not that we haven't already had this conversation in the past 🤣

Thanked by 3emgh crunchbits RapToN
  • emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@jar in some way though, privacy online is so fucked that any move towards improving it is great

No matter if it’s GDPR with its requirements on removing inactive user data, removing personal data on request within 45 days etc

Or private companies choices, like Apple making it their users choice if they want to share their IDFA or not, where, if I were to guess, a big majority choose not to

I gladly pay about $1 a month for my iCloud storage and custom domain email, when companies (or governments) make it easy and affordable to not pay with your data, I feel like its a win no matter who, why or what

Thanked by 2jar crunchbits

@emgh said:
    @jar in some way though, privacy online is so fucked that any move towards improving it is great

No matter if it’s GDPR with its requirements on removing inactive user data, removing personal data on request within 45 days etc

Or private companies choices, like Apple making it their users choice if they want to share their IDFA or not, where, if I were to guess, a big majority choose not to

I always push back against the idea that my refusal on that one issue is a lack of concern for privacy. I happen to think I have more concern for privacy than any politician I've ever witnessed.

Thanked by 2emgh crunchbits
  • emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@jar said:

@emgh said:

I always push back against the idea that my refusal on that one issue is a lack of concern for privacy. I happen to think I have more concern for privacy than any politician I've ever witnessed.

When the EU says that phones have to use USB-C, that batteries have to be changable, that privacy is non-negotiable etc, it’s not as a consequence of loving privacy or the environment, it’s to gain popularity within the union and public support to slowly continue moving towards a federation

The EU needs public support, or its members leave

I think the consequences of their need for public support have been very net positive, thus far

Thanked by 3jar jsg crunchbits
  • kdhkdh Member
    edited September 2023

@emgh said:

@jsg said:

@kdh said:

You own your data on Reddit, if you live in the EU or in California (and some other states): https://thomashunter.name/posts/2023-06-19-how-to-delete-reddit-account-gdpr-ccpa

I didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    It is just that I have mixed feelings about GDPR. It's kinda frustrating that companies outside the EU have to comply with it just because they have European customers. But I do agree that it's necessary if I ever want to do business within/related to Europe.

I'm sorry if I was going a bit harsh earlier.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Quadranet Bad

Hivelocity Good

Thanked by 2jar emgh
  • deadipool best

• @jsg said: A small hint: EUrope has vastly more people (~ potential customers) than the USA.

Population-wise, yes, the EU is about a third bigger than the US. But this metric exaggerates the difference in favor of the EU. In terms of buying power (GDP per capita), the US is by far the bigger market. Unfortunately, the EU is in the doldrums on that front.

Also, let's not jump to the conclusion that a non-EU business doesn't care about privacy rights just because they don't agree they are subject to the GDPR.

• emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@kdh said:

@emgh said:

@jsg said:

@kdh said:

I'm sorry if I was going a bit harsh earlier.

Me too, all good :)

@aj_potc said: In terms of buying power (GDP per capita), the US is by far the bigger market. Unfortunately, the EU is in the doldrums on that front.

That's not a very good measurement of a potential market size.

If it was, Luxembourg would be the world's most important market for LET hosts (twice as important as the US.)

It's far from it.

I'd argue the only relevant measurement is how many people in the area is interested in the services while also being able to afford them (if we focus on average wealth per citizen without taking the amount of citizens into account, as GDP per capita does, Luxembourg would as said be the most important market.)

Thanked by 1kdh
  • @FiberSuds said: So Dedipath didn't protect any privacy

Large Providers, privacy, cheap price.
    Choose any of 2 above, but can't have all the 3.

• @xoctopus said:

@FiberSuds said: So Dedipath didn't protect any privacy

Large Providers, privacy, cheap price.
    Choose any of 2 above, but can't have all the 3.

I guess that depends on what you mean by privacy

You won’t get cheap bulletproof hosting of course, I agree

But I highly doubt Hetzner or OVH emails would end up at their competitors (unless they’re hacked, of course)

• @emgh said: But I highly doubt Hetzner or OVH emails would end up at their competitors

Who cares about competitors when they literally ask you to send your mf passport
    for KYC, and as soon as you send a few packets that might look like port scanning
    you are kicked out. How does such "privacy" works for you, or net neutrality? They inspect every single packet and will kick you out without notice. This isn't about bulletproof, this is about privacy. And don't get me started on the shit OVH installs on your servers, you must do custom ISO and LUKS encryption to avoid those backdoors.

• @aj_potc said:

@jsg said: A small hint: EUrope has vastly more people (~ potential customers) than the USA.

Population-wise, yes, the EU is about a third bigger than the US. But this metric exaggerates the difference in favor of the EU. In terms of buying power (GDP per capita), the US is by far the bigger market. Unfortunately, the EU is in the doldrums on that front.

Buying power is measured in GDP (PPP) per capita and in that list the US is not in top, there are several European countries above it.

• emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@rcy026 said:

@aj_potc said:

@jsg said: A small hint: EUrope has vastly more people (~ potential customers) than the USA.

Buying power is measured in GDP (PPP) per capita and in that list the US is not in top, there are several European countries above it.

No, that’s the measure of purchasing power per capita still (and it’s simply not equal to the measure of total market size).

Also, hosting don’t really follow other local prices. In-fact, I’d argue overall the cheaper other stuff is in a country, the more expensive the hosting is (most of the time, obviously that’s wrong too in 40 % of cases.)

Edit: I still agree the EU is a huge market, I’m just against using these simple measurements to prove it when it really dosen’t say anything (we all know Luxembourg and scandinavia isn’t the most important LET markets already.)

• @xoctopus said:

@emgh said: But I highly doubt Hetzner or OVH emails would end up at their competitors

Who cares about competitors when they literally ask you to send your mf passport
    for KYC

You’ll just have to stand that this thread isn’t about finding privacy-oriented hosting

• SparkedPaulSparkedPaul Member, Patron Provider

jokes on you I'm already a quadranet client

Thanked by 2emgh abrahamj
  • @SparkedPaul said:

And if you’re a client anywhere else, they know that too

• @xoctopus said:

@emgh said: But I highly doubt Hetzner or OVH emails would end up at their competitors

for KYC, and as soon as you send a few packets that might look like port scanning
    you are kicked out. How does such "privacy" works for you, or net neutrality? They inspect every single packet and will kick you out without notice. This isn't about bulletproof, this is about privacy. And don't get me started on the shit OVH installs on your servers, you must do custom ISO and LUKS encryption to avoid those backdoors.

You are confusing privacy with anonymity and being allowed to do whatever you want on a private providers network. That is not even remotely related.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @emgh said:

@aj_potc said: In terms of buying power (GDP per capita), the US is by far the bigger market. Unfortunately, the EU is in the doldrums on that front.

That's not a very good measurement of a potential market size.

If a comparison of consumer buying power in a market of 330M people vs. 460M people isn't a good measurement for you, then you're free to compare total GDP ($27 trillion vs. $15 trillion).

If it was, Luxembourg would be the world's most important market for LET hosts (twice as important as the US.)

It's far from it.

Well, of course. :) I'm not comparing two populations of vastly different size.

I'd argue the only relevant measurement is how many people in the area is interested in the services while also being able to afford them

That requires some serious market research and depends on the product or service being offered. But my argument is that there's more to it than looking at the population. Saying that the EU market is far bigger just because it has a larger population is a gross simplification.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @aj_potc Yes, 100 % agree, I just think GDP is way too simplified as well

Thanked by 1aj_potc

@SparkedPaul said:

My opening offer is $10 to leave them. I'm willing to negotiate.

• @aj_potc said:
    That requires some serious market research and depends on the product or service being offered. But my argument is that there's more to it than looking at the population. Saying that the EU market is far bigger just because it has a larger population is a gross simplification.

This is very true. Using the logic that population size is all that matters China would be the worlds most important market since they got like ~1.5 billion population. But their consumer buying power is shit which makes it a completely uninteresting market despite the massive population. Or India, same case.
    You have to take both size of population and buying power into the calculation. A lot of other factors of course weigh in as well, but you get the point.

Thanked by 2aj_potc emgh
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@rcy026 said:

@aj_potc said:

This is very true. Using the logic that population size is all that matters China would be the worlds most important market since they got like ~1.5 billion population. But their consumer buying power is shit which makes it a completely uninteresting market despite the massive population. Or India, same case.
    You have to take both size of population and buying power into the calculation. A lot of other factors of course weigh in as well, but you get the point.

My statement was about the USA vs EUrope and I think we can all agree that there isn't a major disparity in purchasing power.
    But even if EUrope were somewhat weaker it still is a very major market and accordingly pretty much every significant company targets it.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • I’ve been getting so many emails from them. It’s so annoying.. makes me not wanna buy from them.