Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it hard to have an unmanaged VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it hard to have an unmanaged VPS?

Hello, newbie in Linux and control panels here.

For some months I am 'researching' this side of webhosting, the vps with an control panel installed. I already tried some panels and when I was blocked with something that I didn't know how to solve that problem, I quit.

My question is, there is any chance to have an VPS with an hosting control panel on it and some websites hosted without knowing how to REALLY administrate an VPS? I am making reference to those SSH commands and other similar things.

Thanks for reading and please don't be rude.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2023

Well if someone doesn't have much experience it poses a risk for security. If the server or software is compromised, the server could be used for malicious purposes, and that could get you kicked off a provider. But really, if you secure your remote auth (ssh, etc) methods you'll be fine.

Many of the free or open source control panels are just one or two command installs then everything is done via web UI. So as long as the person knows how to connect to SSH they probably know how to follow install docs for control panels :smile:

What control panel did you try originally? CyberPanel, Virtualmin, Keyhelp, CloudPanel and aaPanel are popular options, but some have features others don't (like email). The installation for these are almost all straightforward and well documented.

• @MikeA said:
    What control panel did you try originally? CyberPanel, Virtualmin, Keyhelp, CloudPanel and aaPanel are popular options, but some have features others don't (like email). The installation for these are almost all straightforward and well documented.

Actually I tried them all mentioned but not KeyHelp. Sometimes I got some troubles with those panels and I just give up.

But, my question is about how much do I need to do in ssh when I got an panel like that installed? I kinda know how to navigate through cPanel (from shared hosts) but I kinda want to learn and to selfhost my websites and thats why I want to know.

• It is not hard. Just use a rando generated password from bitwarden for anything that requires a password and use keys for ssh login. If you get stuck just google around or unironically ask a chat bot. If you know a general direction you need to head but not the specifics it can help you fix stuff you are overlooking/forgetting. You don't need to pay for any VPS to learn tho. Google, Microsoft, Oracle, and AWS all offer a free VPS with an ipv4 for at minimum a year and some indefinitely. So just use one of those free ones to play around on. Also do you need a panel like cPanel? There are docker scripts online that can basically setup whatever software you are using to host your website in just like half an hour.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • It's not hard. Look at it as learning adventure. Get a free VPS as @BruhGamer12 mentioned and take your time learning how to do it. I suggest actually NOT using a control panel at first, but rather learn the basics of setting up a simple server from scratch, adding a firewall, securing your user accounts, etc., then adding Apache or NGINX and learning how to configure them by hand (it's not hard!), then perhaps adding PHP and so forth.

There are numerous tutorials about it that start from the beginning, and you can learn step by step how all the pieces fit together. It's pretty cool. And it will make sense to you. Eventually you'll gain confidence with knowledge and practice, and if you want to use a control panel later on, you'll understand exactly what it's really doing.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • Not hard. Try and fail and google the issues.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • c1vhostingc1vhosting Member
    edited September 2023

@COLBYLICIOUS said:
    Hello, newbie in Linux and control panels here.

For some months I am 'researching' this side of webhosting, the vps with an control panel installed. I already tried some panels and when I was blocked with something that I didn't know how to solve that problem, I quit.

My question is, there is any chance to have an VPS with an hosting control panel on it and some websites hosted without knowing how to REALLY administrate an VPS? I am making reference to those SSH commands and other similar things.

Thanks for reading and please don't be rude.

Can You Host Websites on a VPS Without Deep Linux Knowledge?
    The short answer is yes, you can! You don’t need to be a Linux guru to host websites on a VPS, but it’s important to approach it with the right mindset and take some precautions.

Tips for Getting Started
    Start with Free VPS: Consider using free VPS offers from providers like Google, Microsoft, Oracle, or AWS. This allows you to experiment without financial risk.
    Online Resources: Take advantage of online tutorials, forums, and communities. Google is your best friend when you encounter issues. Don’t hesitate to ask questions – many are willing to help.
    Learn the Basics: Instead of relying solely on control panels, take the time to learn the fundamentals of server administration, including setting up a web server (e.g., Apache or Nginx) and securing it. Understanding these concepts will serve you well in the long run.
    Backup Regularly: Always back up your data and configurations. Most control panels offer backup options, but it’s wise to learn how to perform manual backups as well.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I asked CharGBT to answer the question, and got this response:

While it is possible for a newbie to rapidly learn enough about Linux and control panels in order to successfully operate a web hosting server, the chance of messing up and causing a security incident is too high.
    Moreover, learning about system administration will take considerable time away from a webmaster, distracting them from the more important task of authoring content for the website.
    Therefore, our recommendation is to leave the system administration task to the experts.
    You can either choose a DirectAdmin shared hosting plan from ExtraVM or opt for a fully managed VPS from LowEndBox.

• No it is not hard. I was in the same boat as yours but learned it and now my VPS is so secure that no one can hack it. Not even CIA, NSA, MOSAD, ISI, NASA etc.

• BruhGamer12BruhGamer12 Member
    edited September 2023

@alilet said: No it is not hard. I >was in the same boat as yours but learned it and now my VPS is so secure that no one >can hack it. Not even CIA, NSA, MOSAD, ISI, NASA etc.

Can't wait to see your VPS with a cute cat on it as some example for some zero day exploit on some NSA power point slide in a data leak in a decade hehe.

• TeoMTeoM Member
    edited September 2023

Secure Passwords
    Only SSH Key Login
    Disable Root Login
    Fail2Ban
    UFW Firewall
    Keep system up-to-date

That's it! Nothing complicated like the guys tell you, to make you unsure.

And for all the applications like Apache/Nginx configuration, you can ask ChatGPT or Google to make your config safe.

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Have you had any experience with Linux and ssh command line? You need to have some knowledge of security and how to resolve the issues

• Digital Ocean is your friend if you want to learn how to host LAMP or LEMP applications. They have a lot of how to guides on their blog. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

But having basic knowledge will definitely help you setup and get things done faster.