Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You hosting anything on HDD instead of SSD/NVMe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

You hosting anything on HDD instead of SSD/NVMe?

tjntjn Member
edited September 2023 in General

Apart from the obvious backups, iso's and other large file archives - I was wondering what relatively modern applications and use cases you might still be hosting on HDD's instead of SSD/NVMe?

Comments

• Stuff where fast read & writes is extremely very important

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

All my family photos are stored on a 160GB HDD, attached to my home router via USB 2.0 to IDE adapter.
    I keep hearing weird noises at night from this HDD.
    Shall I worry?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @yoursunny said:
    All my family photos are stored on a 160GB HDD, attached to my home router via USB 2.0 to IDE adapter.
    Shall I worry?

It’s probably hungry

Thanked by 2yoursunny Xrmaddness
  • tjntjn Member
    edited September 2023

@yoursunny said:
    Shall I worry?

Not to worry - it's just the IDE adapater running a lil warm.
    Can you monitor it over IPv9 or move it to a cooler DC like this one?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@emgh said:

@yoursunny said:
    Shall I worry?

It’s probably hungry

I know, the power supply is small, the HDD has been spinning in the closet for the past 7 years so that it's feeling hungry with 500mA input current.
    This hunger problem is getting so bad that the entire home router would shutdown if I'm writing faster than 4MB/s.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Sure, my personal Proxmox cluster is using 2x2TB HDDs. Works fine, and is just for personal use.

• It acts as my 25 cent per gb of ram promo for my minecraft yearly summer host - it is just free ram right?

Seriously tho - if you are not sharing the HDD with other people - p2p crypto nodes, while slow to first setup, function fine on them.