Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXRoute too many spam false positives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXRoute too many spam false positives

Are there any recommended settings for this? Too many emails end up to spam. Even if I move them to the Inbox using Apple Mail client they likely end up to spam again later. Sometimes I move them to Inbox using the webmail but it's annoying.

I love the service, this is the only annoying thing for me. @jar

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Haven't used MXRoute but think there should be an option to entirely disable anti-spam

• @tentor said:
    Haven't used MXRoute but think there should be an option to entirely disable anti-spam

Why would I want to disable it entirely?

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@vitobotta said:

@tentor said:

Why would I want to disable it entirely?

Personally I really like to monitor what crap they are inventing again and again. When there is too much spam I just blackhole the destination mailbox - and this is why everyone should use unique email address per registered service.

One more pros of disabling anti-spam - more confidence that you won't miss important emails if there are any.

• Disable spam assassin.

• @LTniger said:
    Disable spam assassin.

Looks like they will re-enable it. https://mxroutedocs.com/presales/nospamfilter

• Well, than make massive score 100+. This will essentially pass through everything.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2023

@LTniger said:
    Well, than make massive score 100+. This will essentially pass through everything.

This. All I ask is that it's on, configure it how you like.

https://mxroutedocs.com/directadmin/spamfilters/

I set my account to reject at 25 and I never have any false positives, some spam gets through. If you're sending yourself stuff from your own servers make sure they're properly configured mail servers or that you're using SMTP through a well configured mail server (just use mine).

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @jar said:

@LTniger said:
    Well, than make massive score 100+. This will essentially pass through everything.

I set my account to reject at 25 and I never have any false positives, some spam gets through. If you're sending yourself stuff from your own servers make sure they're properly configured mail servers or that you're using SMTP through a well configured mail server (just use mine).

I had it at 25 already. I bumped it to 50 now. Emails from many different domains end up in spam often. Even if I move an email from the junk folder to the inbox, often it ends up again in spam next time.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited September 2023

@vitobotta said:

@jar said:

@LTniger said:

I had it at 25 already. I bumped it to 50 now. Emails from many different domains end up in spam often. Even if I move an email from the junk folder to the inbox, often it ends up again in spam next time.

That will help make sure it gets delivered, but I'd suggest something like enabling "Redirect it to the catch-all spam folder in your main IMAP account" and then setting "What score threshold do you wish to use?" to something like 8 or 9. That second one is the number to play around with, as most of the false positives will end up in the 7-9 range. But whatever numbers you settle on, that redirect setting will let you rescue anything that gets caught and forward it to whatever address you need. Alternatively you can just send it to the users spam folder too.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@jar said:

@LTniger said:

If it's still bad message me here with the recipient email you feel has had the most problem receiving mail you wanted to.

I'm trying to get out of the business of manually reviewing every report as I've found customers want to talk about spam filtering more than I can sustain at scale, and trying to give the users more ability to handle it themselves. But I do log audits, and I'm willing to audit the logs for that address.

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said:

@jar said:

@LTniger said:

If it's still bad message me here with the recipient email you feel has had the most problem receiving mail you wanted to.

I'm trying to get out of the business of manually reviewing every report as I've found customers want to talk about spam filtering more than I can sustain at scale, and trying to give the users more ability to handle it themselves. But I do log audits, and I'm willing to audit the logs for that address.

Will do, thanks!