Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to install Linux as secondary OS on Windows VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to install Linux as secondary OS on Windows VPS?

I just cloned my windows VPS from dedipath to crunchbits but because crunchbits seems does not have a native rescue mode it might be diffcult to clone to other providers from crunchbits if it is needed in someday.

Because of this I want install linux as secondary OS to this VPS which have enough unallocated disk space right now. So that if one day I need to move to another provider again I can login to this secondary OS by SSH from remote server to easily take full disk image.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

You can boot from sysrescue or other Live CD when you need a quick Linux system.

• Did you check with your provider if Windows is allowed ?

• @emperor said:
    Did you check with your provider if Windows is allowed ?

They have windows as an installation option so I think yes

• @yoursunny said:
    You can boot from sysrescue or other Live CD when you need a quick Linux system.

I tried but seems network not works in that way

• PhantomPainPhantomPain Member
    edited September 2023

It will not work, the nested VM can not have full network access or have full access of the disk.

• @PhantomPain said:

@ yoursunny said:

I tried but seems network not works in that way

You can boot into rescue mode by mounting Debian ISO. You should be able to operate it from VNC.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@PhantomPain

The only way to install Linux as a secondary system is using rescue mode, but as you said you don't have access to it, then it won't be possible(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vsys_host said: The only way to install Linux as a secondary system is using rescue mode

Booting a linux ISO should solve the problem, presuming there is the possibility to install from ISO. Linux knows how to handle dual boot with windows whether it is a regular PC or a VM.

• You could install Acronis or similar in windows and take a discimage from there.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:

@vsys_host said: The only way to install Linux as a secondary system is using rescue mode

Booting a linux ISO should solve the problem, presuming there is the possibility to install from ISO. Linux knows how to handle dual boot with windows whether it is a regular PC or a VM.

Booting ISO is usually included in the rescue functionality - if we are talking about VPS.

If there IS NO rescue, then most likely, there is neither a console nor the ability to mount an ISO. We meant it.

But if there IS such functionality, then there is no need to install Linux - you can make a clone using LiveCD.

Thanked by 10xC7
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vsys_host said: If there IS NO rescue, then most likely, there is neither a console nor the ability to mount an ISO. We meant it.

OP said he booted rescue mode, network was not working and that was a problem, however, you don't need network to install from ISO, you can update later.