Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll about aws/gcp/azure vs other providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll about aws/gcp/azure vs other providers

If you get your budget out of your way for a sec and just wanted the best possible performance and stability would you go for aws/gcp/azure any day instead of looking for alternatives? or there's really no difference?

YOUR CHOICE (IGNORE BUDGET)
  1. What would you choose32 votes
    1. go for aws/gcp/azure
      53.13%
    2. consider other options even if i don't care about money
      46.88%

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

They’re definitely staffed 24/7

I’d be suprised if they used consumer-grade hardware, probably with some exceptions

However, the real benefit of using them for a company is their ecosystem

I’m sure if you only needed raw hardware, Hetzner & OVH with a SLA agreement wouldn’t be a lot different

• If you're hosting something critical, or something business related you should use one of the big cloud providers or at least a bigger company like Vultr, DigitalOcean, OVH, etc.

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited September 2023

I've seen insane multi year uptime on Azure vps but you do pay a lot, network is okay. But they're not perfect by any means. If money wasn't a concern, I'd go for a multi cloud approach with Azure and AWS. A lot of the time, people aren't spinning up straight vms or dedicated machines on the big cloud providers, the benefits come in their kubernetes and database as a service offerings.

• almost every big brand cloud provider has good uptimes & they are reliable. AWS lightsail line is great if you're under a tight budget but problem is if you need something beefier with good bandwidth cost starts to add up fast. in that case better stick to Hetzner or a dedicated server from any other reliable provider. so it depends on your requirements.

• I was just considering a Lightsail contract. However, as a usage, I was more concerned about the charge due to CPU boost than the transfer amount. Including EC2, please be careful when CPU load occurs. I've also tried GCP and Azure before, but I don't have any of the services I use now.

• Be careful with AWS Billing. You even get charged if you have an SSD Idling.

• The "cloud" solutions like AWS are mainly useful if you use other services from the same provider. For example, load balancing, automatic failover, automatic scaling up/down, object storage, etc. The entire ecosystem works together, and you have a single unified management panel to manage everything and a single support team to help with any of the services.

If you just have one server, they don't really have an advantage other than better support (and honestly, some providers on here like GreenCloudVPS have fantastic support).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2023

@bgerard said: I've seen insane multi year uptime on Azure vps but you do pay a lot

I remember a few years back when I was keeping tabs, Azure had lower uptime than us in the previous year.
    Multi-year uptime is nothing unusual:
    top - 09:33:02 up 671 days-Cloud node which we reboot more often due to live migration possible.
    top - 09:35:04 up 2646 days, 17:48 Ancient XenPower node we plan on retiring since March :P