Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel NUC as VPS node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel NUC as VPS node

ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

As the title suggests, I am currently looking into 13th gen Intel NUCs to use as VPS nodes.
I am kinda not sure if those NUCs would be as reliable as workstation grade systems.
Interested to see some benchmarks, reviews and recommendations from existing NUC users.

Thanked by 1inspain

Comments

• For personal use they will do - stability mainly depends on stability of the virtualisation solution you want to use. I guess you're not using enterprise virtualisation (e.g. VMWare), because then you'd need supported hardware. I use one NUC in my private ProxMox cluster to have a "third node" in case one of the other (more powerful) ones goes down, and it has 2 VMs on it that don't need too much performance.

However, for hosting I wouldn't want to use a NUC because of the limited hardware possibilities you'd have. Network is basically single 1Gbit or if you're "lucky" 2.5 GBit, only one storage device possible (i.e. no RAID possibilities), limited memory banks, etc.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • ooowwwwooowwww Member
    edited August 2023

Currently using a dell optiplex mff .These mff computers are larger than nuc .But its larger chasis comes with standard upgradable desktop cpu ,and brings extra expandability .I have stuffed a 4T hdd in it ,and maybe will upgrade my current I3 to i7 in future. It's quite stable as my home proxmox node

Thanked by 2yoursunny Shakib
  • Coming up next: VPS node on Raspberry Pi?

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited August 2023

@default said: Coming up next: VPS node on Raspberry Pi?

LOL. It should be dedicated.

Like this @DataIdeas-Josh [https://my2.dataideas.com/store/rpi-servers]

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Have you heard?
    Intel NUC is being discontinued.

I have a refurbished Optiplex 7040 Micro as my on-premise VPS node, with several LXC containers.
    Persistent CPU usage is kept below 40%, so that CPU temperature is around 45°C; higher temperature results in fan noise.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    Have you heard?
    Intel NUC is being discontinued.

I just heard that from you. Thanks.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Shakib said:
    As the title suggests, I am currently looking into 13th gen Intel NUCs to use as VPS nodes.
    I am kinda not sure if those NUCs would be as reliable as workstation grade systems.
    Interested to see some benchmarks, reviews and recommendations from existing NUC users.

That would do just fine, I have made a router out of a 2nd gen i3 laptop with VLANs, VPN endpoints and gateways to Tor with a pfsense main router all in VMs separated per class of usage and network segment. It all took 8 GB RAM which is the maximum the laptop could handle. Before that I had another laptop running on an E-300 APU but the USB ports were 2.0 barring one and the network cards didn't handle 1 gbps well.

Thanked by 1Shakib