Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free SSL for intranet web site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free SSL for intranet web site

Hello,

Is there any free SSL provider that will for for internal website?

Regards

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

You can use wildcard LE certificate with DNS challenge and use it with your domain with whatever IP addresses are.

Thanked by 2yoursunny nobizzle
  • I use Letsencrypt with a wildcard

Thanked by 1nobizzle
  • So for basically any certificate LE with DNS challenge should be your go to, it’s great and works really well and is what I use for both external and internal services.

• 0ssl

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited August 2023

@Outdoor said: internal website

As others said, letsencrypt (or similar) is free. Must be renewed every 70-90 days though.

Since it's internal, you could just create a self-signed cert and let the browsers complain with warnings. Or, create your own CA, install the CA on the clients and generate server certs to expire whenever you want.

• @jon617 said:

@Outdoor said: internal website

As others said, letsencrypt (or similar) is free. Must be renewed every 70-90 days though.

Since it's internal, you could just create a self-signed cert and let the browsers complain with warnings. Or, create your own CA, install the CA on the clients and generate server certs to expire whenever you want.

Certbot can auto renew the certificate after 90 days.

• +1 for Let’s Encrypt and DNS challenge.
    Depending on your DNS provider this can be automated using API.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

LE with DNS validation, can give you as many certs as you want for internal usage.

• The problem is with DNS, we have an internal DNS network.
    and our domain is not registered, it is www.com

ERROR: https://prnt.sc/pGwqxFHTYJ1K

• You need intranet SSL. Those aren't cheap, so you better use self-signed ones.

• Self signed with 69years expiry

• OutdoorOutdoor Member
    edited September 2023

But browsers in intranet are not showing secure icon for self signed

It even show, website is not secure warring

• @Outdoor said:

Create a certificate from your own created root CA and make sure your clients (e.g. browser) have the root CA installed as trusted.

• balloonballoon Member
    edited September 2023

Web server Caddy generates its own CA and uses it to sign certificates: (Usually apply Let's Encrypt or ZeroSSL)
    https://caddyserver.com/docs/automatic-https#local-https

• @Outdoor said:

Publicly trusted CA not allowed to sign such internal domain, so installing private CA certficiate to your client is only option for that domain. or change intrannet domain into a public name and use split horizen DNS server

• @let_rocks said:

@Outdoor said:

Create a certificate from your own created root CA and make sure your clients (e.g. browser) have the root CA installed as trusted.

It is my network at job.|
    But we have about 700 PC's in the network.

How to make a certificate as trusted for all PCs? :(

• @omelas said:

@Outdoor said:

Publicly trusted CA not allowed to sign such internal domain, so installing private CA certficiate to your client is only option for that domain. or change intrannet domain into a public name and use split horizen DNS server

But there is no .int domain available? :(

• I will like to find some intranet SSL for about 10-20$

Everything that I found is about 500$ - intranet SSL for a custom domain.

REGARDS

• @Outdoor said:

@let_rocks said:

@Outdoor said:

It is my network at job.|
    But we have about 700 PC's in the network.

How to make a certificate as trusted for all PCs? :(

I hope you have some form of endpoint management running with 700 machines. You'd push out your internal CA via that.

Or just migrate your intranet to a domain that you can generate valid certificates for.

• The best solution has been mentioned quite a few times. Get a domain at a provider that allows DNS challenges (API or modules for webservers or tools that will do it for you, like traefik or certbot). Youll get a wildcard cert like *.intranet.example.com and use it for whatever service you need.

• HizakuraHizakura Member, Patron Provider

We use acme.sh + DNS challenge plugin.