Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS VPS vs Others
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS VPS vs Others

I checked out AWS and what they offer in the world of VPS let's look at the plan below. I don't know a heck of a lot about the hosting world but that sounds pretty competitive and even more convincing since you know they are not going away anytime soon so you have that piece of mind. Am I blind as a bat or are they aggressively competitive versus other hosts? I am not familiar with AWS Lightsail so I can not comment much and I would prefer to support another host over Amazon but not have many complaints given the fact they have a lot of firepower in the hosting world since this is their true goldmine in terms of business vs their marketplace. What do you guys think?

$10 USD/mo
2 GB Memory
2 vCPUs***
60 GB SSD Disk
3 TB Transfer*

Comments

• @Helesta said: $10 USD/mo

2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

Nice price for AWS standards. Performances of AWS are really good tough.

• @Helesta said:
    I checked out AWS and what they offer in the world of VPS let's look at the plan below. I don't know a heck of a lot about the hosting world but that sounds pretty competitive and even more convincing since you know they are not going away anytime soon so you have that piece of mind. Am I blind as a bat or are they aggressively competitive versus other hosts? I am not familiar with AWS Lightsail so I can not comment much and I would prefer to support another host over Amazon but not have many complaints given the fact they have a lot of firepower in the hosting world since this is their true goldmine in terms of business vs their marketplace. What do you guys think?

$10 USD/mo
    2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

ARM? Which instance? Type?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@c1vhosting said:

@Helesta said: $10 USD/mo

2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

@niranjan said:

@Helesta said:

$10 USD/mo
    2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

AWS Lightsail, it's their B2C brand for AWS basically.

They notably include bandwidth.

https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/pricing/

• @SirFoxy said:

@c1vhosting said:

2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

@niranjan said:

@Helesta said:

$10 USD/mo
    2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

Oh, the op has mentioned already, didn't read 💀

• @niranjan said:

@SirFoxy said:

@c1vhosting said:

2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

@niranjan said:

@Helesta said:

$10 USD/mo
    2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

Price is really good, I'd have a chance to try their services.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The only downside is you probably deal with an AI bot if you need support.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited August 2023

It's not aggressively competitive. It's just competitive. Lightsail line is Amazon's alternative to DigitalOcean/Vultr/Linode.
    Personally, I would rank Vultr higher than Lightsail, but Lightsail is still better than DO/Linode after these two brands made price hikes and Amazon didn't.

If you don't need that much variety in locations and additional products (just VPS, load balancer, firewall and other essentials) then take a look at Hetzner.
    https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

For 7,04USD you can get Hetzner CAX21 ARM instance with:
    4vCPU, 8GB RAM, 80GB drive, 20TB traffic.

Compare that with 10USD Amazon Lightsail:
    2vCPU, 2GB RAM, 60GB drive, 3TB traffic.

So you get way better instance for way less money.
    And because of how instant provision at Hetzner is (couple of seconds) you can have fast HA Kubernetes cluster with autoscaling for really low price.
    Community member @vitobotta made tool for it https://github.com/vitobotta/hetzner-k3s

My personal choice is Hetzner 99% of time.
    Combine that with Storage Box, 5TB disk just for $11.82
    https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box
    And offsite backups on Scaleway Glacier (like Amazon Glacier Deep Archive, but a little bit more expensive per TB in exchange for no retrieval costs)
    https://www.scaleway.com/en/glacier-cold-storage/

Hetzner compute + Hetzner Storage Box for data (use Hetzner compute instance disk for caching of Storage Box) + Scaleway Glacier
    This is the best combo for me.
    Lightsail price/features/performance ratio doesn't even come close.

Edit: and like @raindog308 mentioned, don't expect real human support on Lightsail. Hetzner has real human support even for customers that pay couple of dollars.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • I honestly had no idea what lightsail was. Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to have my developer build a system for me to behave similarly to imigur.com for image sharing and particularly direct image linking and making it private and used internally vs. open to the public. My understanding is they want to build it using Elixir with Pheonix live view so I am not certain what firepower I will need. This will not host large image files but rather jpegs 200-500 kb each. It's not going to be a daily upload/download so we are not talking about massive traffic here. Linux is a must for this and preferably Ubuntu.

• @c1vhosting said:

@niranjan said:

@SirFoxy said:

@c1vhosting said:

2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

@niranjan said:

@Helesta said:

$10 USD/mo
    2 GB Memory
    2 vCPUs***
    60 GB SSD Disk
    3 TB Transfer*

Price is really good, I'd have a chance to try their services.

You can try in the free tier, they provide 3 months free trial.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • @Helesta said:
    I honestly had no idea what lightsail was. Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to have my developer build a system for me to behave similarly to imigur.com for image sharing and particularly direct image linking and making it private and used internally vs. open to the public. My understanding is they want to build it using Elixir with Pheonix live view so I am not certain what firepower I will need. This will not host large image files but rather jpegs 200-500 kb each. It's not going to be a daily upload/download so we are not talking about massive traffic here. Linux is a must for this and preferably Ubuntu.

You can always use the free tier, currently they're offering t4g.small instances in the free tier. These have 2Cores(ARM) and 2G of RAM. 100GB/month bandwidth. If you're in the early phase you can use this to get predictions for the future usuage.

Thanked by 1Helesta