Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WordPress.com 100 Year Plan!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordPress.com 100 Year Plan!

Comments

• zhizhi Member

But with $38,000 in the bank, will the annual interest be enough to pay for the domain and hosting?

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • LeviLevi Member

Well, they own .blog domain. In theory they could pull this. Of course if domains still be relevant in next 50 years.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • DooDoo Member

Looking forward to any review(s) on that plan posted by someone on LET. :D

• LeviLevi Member

@Doo said:

Someone will buy it, manages to put yabs, show stats and than resell.

Thanked by 2yoursunny niranjan
  • Sounded more like a pr stunt than an actual product... companies change, goes bankrupt, gets greedy etc etc. Too many uncertainty to even entertain the idea of this being an actual serious service.

• best I can do is 2 dollars

• If WordPress can guarantee no WW3 in next 100 years, then I will buy.

• Jokes on Wordpress when you can get lifetime hosting on LET pennies /s

• @LTniger said:

@Doo said:

Someone will buy it, manages to put yabs, show stats and than resell.

I don't think they'll provide SSH Access, Security is one of the most highlighted part in that post & the ad that I saw on instagram.

• DooDoo Member

@niranjan said:
    I don't think they'll provide SSH Access, Security is one of the most highlighted part in that post & the ad that I saw on instagram.

Yes, they will probably do not provide SSH access. It's more like a blog hosting or fully-managed website hosting. I do think they provide such service to https://www.whitehouse.gov/ , and the performace and speed of the webiste of White House is just sooo good. :D

• _MS__MS_ Member

$7?

• It sounds like they are in urgent need of cash.

• Okay but is it recurring or are they going to raise the price after 100 years ;)

• Seems they chose that price by taking an economically viable-ish price and x10 it

• if it was 1000 years then that price would make more sense but why not just have a renewable domain that you have a preloaded crypto/paypal account that adds to the balance every 10 years. or you could just pay someone super young to keep renewing your domain for you for 10k lol

• @moontakane said:
    Okay but is it recurring or are they going to raise the price after 100 years ;)

So how do we renew in 100 years, if im in the grave, do they send a medium to the afterlife asking me whether i want to renew?

Thanked by 1niranjan
  • Imagine you are enjoying your time in the afterlife, a wordpress sales guy approaches you asking whether you want to renew your plan.

• geotgeot Member

very interesting

• @Doo said: I do think they provide such service to https://www.whitehouse.gov/ , and the performace and speed of the webiste of White House is just sooo good.

yeah! I checked it from extact opposite location from U.S. and its speed is blazing fast. I haven't seen a site loading as such speeds even on premium hosting / enterprise hosting companies like rackspace, liquid web, etc or not even on google cloud or aws or even local cloud provider in my city. Feels like site is hosted on my desktop!

• Just shit PR show...or else they are in deep crisis for cash...

• @JasonM said:

@Doo said: I do think they provide such service to https://www.whitehouse.gov/ , and the performace and speed of the webiste of White House is just sooo good.

yeah! I checked it from extact opposite location from U.S. and its speed is blazing fast. I haven't seen a site loading as such speeds even on premium hosting / enterprise hosting companies like rackspace, liquid web, etc or not even on google cloud or aws or even local cloud provider in my city. Feels like site is hosted on my desktop!

Bruh, not that fast. If you use a fast CDN and proper caching, I think you'll get much faster speeds.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @JasonM said: even local cloud provider in my city

I think it's more of the web design itself. The page is relatively small with less than 3 MB compressed payload (at least, compared to common websites that use a dozen MBs worth of CSS & JS) without relying on scripts & resources loaded from other domain that would've introduce unbearable waiting chain ("alright lemme load this JS... oh it wants to load yet another JS on yet another domain, standby for new DNS resolution").

With pre-warmed CDN cache, these kinds of websites have no excuse for being slow, even if the backend is a P3 powered by a hamster wheel.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2023

Nice offer wordpress, what if i die will you refund the remaining balance to my family?

• @armandorg said:
    Nice offer wordpress, what if i die will you refund the remaining balance to my family?

How would they know?

• Invest the amount in S&P 500 instead.

• @armandorg said:

They'll keep the domain active, and keep hosting your blog about the radishes in your garden until the 100 years are up.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I had this idea before them, as usual a big company decides to do it and it suddenly becomes less ridiculous except for LET of course.

On the other hand it's too expensive for me to consider at this point. My $7 apps are not profitable enough to buy the 100 year plan and even then I would like some sort of legal document that states that they will ensure it stays up for those 10p years.

• 100 year is the new lifetime

• The same plan in INR costs less

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

MS said:
    $7?

$7 x 12 months x 100 = $8400 so $30000 can be wasted on domain name at $300 per year