Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expired Domain for Hosting Business?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Expired Domain for Hosting Business?

I'm thinking about using an expired domain for my hosting business. Any thoughts on this?

Also, should I go beyond .com for the domain extension?

Does the domain name need to be closely related to web hosting?

Comments

• Sure, but a expired domain could have bad/spammy links, that might hurt your business, keep this is mind, although you can use the Disavow Tool to get rid of such links.

If the domain matches your brand, then idk what's stopping you.

• emreemre Member, LIR

@Uchiha said: I'm thinking about using an expired domain for my hosting business. Any thoughts on this?

any domain will do as long as you got patience to build your brand.

it will be good if it is something easy to remember.

Domain name is a football manager, he/it does not go out on field to play for 90 mins as a player but needed for preparation of your team/brand.

.com is still the king except if you are aiming to sell only to your own country such as .vn .id .com.tr etc.

• @emre said: .com is still the king

How about your opinion on using .net or .org?

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

I'm thinking about using an expired domain for my hosting business. Any thoughts on this?

Go for it!

It can be anything. .com, .host, .net. Apart from visitor preference (negligible) there is no advantage over having X TLD compared to Y TLD.

No. It can be anything except for if there is no content on your website and search engines have a hard time understanding what it's about.

• .net is fine, but not .org

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @ezeth said:

It can be anything. .com, .host, .net. Apart from visitor preference (negligible) there is no advantage over having X TLD compared to Y TLD.

Some TLDs have more trouble with email delivery due to their common use by scammers/spammers/etc.

This is easy to work around though: you can have a particular TLD for your web presence because it looks/sounds good for your business, but use something else (like the equivalent .com) for email comms.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@prince18 said:
    .net is fine, but not .org

@SpartanHost has https://spartanhost.org and they are doing well.

Thanked by 2SpartanHost Erisa
  • loayloay Member

Just use a tld that is not commonly used by spammers, so not .xyz and others.

Expired domain with good authority score will get you faster indexing at the beginning but without consistent optimizations and quality content creation you will lose that ranking with first update/competitor. I have ranked websites for various tlds, both with new and old domains and the benefit of expired domain is negligible in the long term.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • VoidVoid Member

So is nexusbytes.com available for sale ?

• @jmaxwell said: So is nexusbytes.com available for sale ?

• @Uchiha said: Also, should I go beyond .com for the domain extension?

Yes you can go beyond .com and other TLDs are also gaining popularity and it will be much easier to rank them in Google.

• @jmaxwell said:

Someone just grabbed it for 1 year.

Imagine putting whmcs and crypto payments page up, and offering to sell backups.

Then send nothing after getting payment and scam the users twice.

• @stefeman said:

@jmaxwell said:

Imagine putting whmcs and crypto payments page up, and offering to sell backups.

Then send nothing after getting payment and scam the users twice.

That domain probably gets about 20 visits a month now organically. People forget quickly.

• VoidVoid Member

@stefeman said:

@jmaxwell said:

So it isn’t the previous owner who is running https://heartbeat.nexusbytes.com ?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jmaxwell said:

@stefeman said:

@jmaxwell said:

So it isn’t the previous owner who is running https://heartbeat.nexusbytes.com ?

It's still with him.

He renewed the domain back in March last year, for 5 years.