Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indianapolis Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Indianapolis Hosting

LumonixLumonix Member
edited August 2023 in Help

Anyone know of any VPS providers that exist in Indianapolis? Probably a long shot honestly, & I'm hoping for someone that'd be willing to do BGP downstreaming as well.

I guess if I'm OOL, Chicago'd be OK too but I would much prefer a provider with HE.

Thanked by 1MannDude

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@SmartHost might have something nearby.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2023

We do have Indiana, but the facility is closing and relocating soon to a nearby state unfortunately. We expect to move with them, but don’t have a new Indiana location for replacement yet. We have Chicago as well though…

Just saw the BGP requirement though, which we do not offer.

~ SMARTHOST

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Good luck. I recently reached out to several Indianapolis DCs for quotes and found space to be quite expensive compared to other locations. There used to a provider with servers in South Bend, Indiana but I can't recall their name. I used them ages ago.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Ohio, 2 hours from indy work?

www.microtronixdc.com

• @MannDude host color?

• https://skylineservers.com/datacenters
    Data Space, SouthBend, IN, United States
    Close

• @jfreak53 said:
    Ohio, 2 hours from indy work?

www.microtronixdc.com

The reason I was looking for something in Indy was for low latency BGP - and I get 15ms to you guys unfortunately :/

• hmm for Indiana, I would definitely look for hosting providers in Chicago. Chicago is super well connected.

Xenspec and Atomic Networks are two that come to mind that I've used and their network has been great.

Xenspec Chicago Looking Glass:
    https://ord1.lg.xenspec.com/

Atomic Chicago Looking Glass:
    http://lg-us-chi.atomicnetworks.co/

• Depending on your use case Chicago may be the best choice - expecially for cost. Your traffic is likely already routing through Chicago for basically everything not local so the latency impact ends up being fairly low.

Thanked by 1Lumonix
  • @concept said:
    hmm for Indiana, I would definitely look for hosting providers in Chicago. Chicago is super well connected.

Xenspec and Atomic Networks are two that come to mind that I've used and their network has been great.

Yeah, I'm actually already with XenSpec right now - but I've been having issues with their BGP transit as of lately.
    Atomic routes via Cogent and hence my ISP takes it through Lumen Cincinatti, which is a no-go.

• @itzaname said:
    Depending on your use case Chicago may be the best choice - expecially for cost. Your traffic is likely already routing through Chicago for basically everything not local so the latency impact ends up being fairly low.

You'd be surprised as to how much of my traffic doesn't go through Chicago :D
    But yeah, I practically have no other choice at this point lol

• itzanameitzaname Member
    edited September 2023

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:
    Depending on your use case Chicago may be the best choice - expecially for cost. Your traffic is likely already routing through Chicago for basically everything not local so the latency impact ends up being fairly low.

I'm guessing Metronet or Centurylink then?

• Atomic_NetworksAtomic_Networks Member, Patron Provider

@StupeFied said:

@concept said:
    hmm for Indiana, I would definitely look for hosting providers in Chicago. Chicago is super well connected.

Yeah, I'm actually already with XenSpec right now - but I've been having issues with their BGP transit as of lately.
    Atomic routes via Cogent and hence my ISP takes it through Lumen Cincinatti, which is a no-go.

Keep a close eye out in the future, we plan to introduce more carriers to our blend.

Thank you for thinking of us! Hopefully we might be able to help you out in the future :smile:

• Have you tried Hosthatch's Chicago Location?

• @itzaname said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

Metronet backhauls traffic up to Chicago, Centurylink is now Brightspeed and also backhauls traffic up to Chicago (I think? - haven't tested their network..could also be Lumen via Cincinatti)

I have a local ISP ;)

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

Metronet backhauls traffic up to Chicago, Centurylink is now Brightspeed and also backhauls traffic up to Chicago (I think? - haven't tested their network..could also be Lumen via Cincinatti)

I have a local ISP ;)

Brightspeed is horrible! Running very old systems down to their billing platform, internet service must still be linked to an active phone number/phone service. Can't do individual connections over 1Mbps, have to virtual bond multiple services.

• @jfreak53 said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

I have a local ISP ;)

Brightspeed is horrible! Running very old systems down to their billing platform, internet service must still be linked to an active phone number/phone service. Can't do individual connections over 1Mbps, have to virtual bond multiple services.

Really? That's shocking considering they do fiber.

• Is BGP a hard requirement?

• @concept said:
    Have you tried Hosthatch's Chicago Location?

Hosthatch has bandwidth limits that'd I'd blow through.

• @kait said:
    Is BGP a hard requirement?

Yeah, it is. Only need IPv6 though.

• @StupeFied said: Yeah, it is. Only need IPv6 though.

Besides HostHatch you have https://datawagon.com/ (dedicated only) which has HE upstream.

Kansas City/Toronto/Ashburn/Buffalo are other options that have better providers with cheap BGP (and even IXP)

@StupeFied said:

@jfreak53 said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

I have a local ISP ;)

I mean it could be what they took over from CL, don't know, just know my dealings with them and others dealings in the area have been horrendous! I know CL's infrastructure sucked big time before they got gobbled up. So maybe that's it.

• @kait said:

@StupeFied said: Yeah, it is. Only need IPv6 though.

Besides HostHatch you have https://datawagon.com/ (dedicated only) which has HE upstream.

Kansas City/Toronto/Ashburn/Buffalo are other options that have better providers with cheap BGP (and even IXP)

Yeah, but I'm in Indianapolis and and routing all my traffic to somewhere else that's especially far from me is just not quite it.

• @jfreak53 said:

@StupeFied said:

@jfreak53 said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

@StupeFied said:

@itzaname said:

I have a local ISP ;)

I mean it could be what they took over from CL, don't know, just know my dealings with them and others dealings in the area have been horrendous! I know CL's infrastructure sucked big time before they got gobbled up. So maybe that's it.

I've never had to deal with CL personally, so there's not much I can say about it. All I know is that Lumen's not a bad T1.

• What is your mtr/traceroute or ping to 198.134.104.4 ?

If that one is good, you would just have to convince @smarthost to use them as location #674 to set up a vps service there...

• @OhJohn said:
    What is your mtr/traceroute or ping to 198.134.104.4 ?

If that one is good, you would just have to convince @smarthost to use them as location #674 to set up a vps service there...

that IP is Unlimited Net - which I connect to directly over IX. Smarthost mentioned they didn't do BGP, and they were closing down their Indiana facility.

@SmartHost said:
    We do have Indiana, but the facility is closing and relocating soon to a nearby state unfortunately. We expect to move with them, but don’t have a new Indiana location for replacement yet. We have Chicago as well though…

Just saw the BGP requirement though, which we do not offer.

~ SMARTHOST