Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why nocix panel is so simple?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why nocix panel is so simple?

JustPfffJustPfff Member
edited August 2023 in Help

Alright I just create order on Nocix, and after my account activated I got into my account panel
and there is almost no options on it, only allow you to show your credentials
How could I reinstall my OS, or got emergency login console etc.?
this is my second dedicated server I purchase after on I ordered from Kimsufi, even they (if I remember) offers you more options.

This is screenshot

Comments

• nocix seem to be run by the same company wholesaleinternet

• emghemgh Member

I haven’t used them for a long long time

But as I recall even DataShack had OS reinstall

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited August 2023

@emgh said: But as I recall even DataShack had OS reinstall

It is the same but rebranded
    https://www.nocix.net/about-us/
    I guess they only reinstall OS with a ticket

• rdesrdes Member

Only instant servers in Nocix can be rebooted and reinstalled via panel.
    Custom servers have manual reboots and reinstallations.

Thanked by 2JustPfff emgh
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Most users don't need to frequently reinstall their servers so it's easier and safer to have that be a staff-only function is my guess.

• emghemgh Member

@MannDude said:
    Most users don't need to frequently reinstall their servers so it's easier and safer to have that be a staff-only function is my guess.

I don’t think they need their custom servers to be more secure compared to their instant servers

It’s about costs

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2023

Be happy when you get a control panel at all for a dedicated server. They're way more common now than they used to be, but it's still not as simple as a VPS panel. It's dedicated hardware, and the best control systems are licensed, which a budget dedicated server provider isn't going to do. So when you get one at all, it's something they made in house.

But you should still not expect a control panel for a dedicated server, there are still tons of providers that do not have them, many probably not even wanting them. If it's something you want, make sure you always ask if they have one (and what options it has) first. This as opposed to a VPS where you would be hard pressed to find one you can order that doesn't have the kind of panel you want.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@MannDude said:

Security can be one reason, imagine if your billing or backend server management gets rooted. Then all your servers are affected.

@jar said: It's dedicated hardware, and the best control systems are licensed, which a budget dedicated server provider isn't going to do. So when you get one at all, it's something they made in house.

Also there is a lot of variety in the baremetal and their management. For example we got a bunch of nodes which all have borked web interfaces, but IPMI commands work, then we got nodes which have everything working perfectly except network booting (necessity for remote OS reinstalls), firmware missing from standard linux installers, variety of disk layouts (each requiring it's own network install scripts, and each distro has different), some nodes crash BMC FW randomly requiring to be reflashed and configured, BIOS issues with certain HW config but not other config, distro network install shenanigans (preseed !!) etc etc etc.

And this is before you even get to all the network config, SNMP, bandwidth graphs, VLANs, rDNS etc etc.

The list just goes on and on. It often boils down to do you want the server or control panel but no server? Oh the server is a necessity? Then no control panel.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @emgh said:

@MannDude said:

I don’t think they need their custom servers to be more secure compared to their instant servers

It’s about costs

The entire Nocix brand, user interface, and lineup seem paused in time from 2016.

@fiberstate for example has managed to effortlessly do it through WHMCS, not hard.

@heycloud said:
    nocix seem to be run by the same company wholesaleinternet

Nocix, 1530 Swift, Wholesale Internet, and formerly DataShack are all the same company.

You can read more about them on LowEndBox here.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

@jar said:
    Be happy when you get a control panel at all for a dedicated server. They're way more common now than they used to be, but it's still not as simple as a VPS panel. It's dedicated hardware, and the best control systems are licensed, which a budget dedicated server provider isn't going to do. So when you get one at all, it's something they made in house.

But you should still not expect a control panel for a dedicated server, there are still tons of providers that do not have them, many probably not even wanting them. If it's something you want, make sure you always ask if they have one (and what options it has) first. This as opposed to a VPS where you would be hard pressed to find one you can order that doesn't have the kind of panel you want.

The issue with "baremetal" panels is that they have to be highly configurable to be customizable to a users architectural needs .... or alternatively force the user to implement things in a way that is compliant with the way the panel expects it...

When i was looking into options for my own needs, i did a ton of evaluating and finally settled on developing something that fits my own use-cases.

For my usecase this means giving users access to statistics (bandwidth), useful information and basic servermanagement (for example ipmi/html5kvm)

In case you are curious.... (....we'll see how well this design ages.... )

Please note that the traffic graphs in this image are an example (They are from a machine that is currently sitting and waiting for a client to install an os (booted into installer via out of band management / ipmi.)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @rdes said:

The OS reinstall fee is $25 but they have 1 free for every month, will it also cost for manual reboot?

• @JustPfff said:
    Alright I just create order on Nocix, and after my account activated I got into my account panel
    and there is almost no options on it, only allow you to show your credentials
    How could I reinstall my OS, or got emergency login console etc.?
    this is my second dedicated server I purchase after on I ordered from Kimsufi, even they (if I remember) offers you more options.

This is screenshot

Could you share your experience with their services? Uptime, network speed?

• @anda said:

@rdes said:

The OS reinstall fee is $25 but they have 1 free for every month, will it also cost for manual reboot?

Never paid for manual reboot, but I have to request it maybe twice in 3-4 years.

Thanked by 1anda
  • @rdes said:

@anda said:

@rdes said:

Never paid for manual reboot, but I have to request it maybe twice in 3-4 years.

Thank you, just ordered custom server today and I already used 1 reinstall os🤣

• I feel like people buy a dedicated server expecting virtual server experience.

Also this thread is old. lol.

edited September 2023

@chrisfe said: Could you share your experience with their services? Uptime, network speed?

Sorry I didn't do any test, I was too busy after I ordered, I barely had time to update and install some packages…
    But you got what you paid for (I'm not complaining) since I bought ~ the cheapest server there for $15/month and honesty some of my other VPS's, but at least I got here dedicated resources

Thanked by 1chrisfe
    edited September 2023

@chrisfe said: Could you share your experience with their services? Uptime, network speed?

Month pass now and here is some of my experience,

There are some network speed drop spikes, e.g. once I tried to download YT video and speed dropped to KBytes, I remember same issue happened when I tried to download an ISO file never reached 1MB/s download speed.

And They made the Billing does automatic with PayPal without me be aware of it, the bill issue 1 week before service end and PAID by them automatically 24 hours before service end from PayPal...
    Since there is only service termination option, not cancelation at billing cycle (which most hosing service do)...

Now I'm ending up with $15 account credit after I cancel my server 1 day before it end, which I may not need in the future

Thanked by 1chrisfe