Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Server Network Isolation, Performance Trade-offs, and HDD Recognition Issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Network Isolation, Performance Trade-offs, and HDD Recognition Issues

Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a new server and I'm looking to enhance its security by separating the internal and external internet connections. I've heard of options like QubeOS and various Xen alternatives that could potentially help with this, but I'm concerned about the potential performance trade-offs they might bring. Does anyone have experience with these solutions or can suggest other approaches to achieve this kind of network isolation while minimizing impact on performance?

On a related note, I'm also encountering some challenges with my server's hard drives. I've purchased several HDDs along with SSDs, and my goal is to set up a RAID 5 configuration. However, I'm facing issues because my system seems to only recognize the SSDs during the boot process. Even when the OS is up and running, the HDDs are not visible when I use the df command. Has anyone come across a similar problem or could provide insights into how I might troubleshoot and resolve this recognition issue?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions you can offer. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

@mcagri said:
    Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a new server and I'm looking to enhance its security by separating the internal and external internet connections. I've heard of options like QubeOS and various Xen alternatives that could potentially help with this, but I'm concerned about the potential performance trade-offs they might bring. Does anyone have experience with these solutions or can suggest other approaches to achieve this kind of network isolation while minimizing impact on performance?

On a related note, I'm also encountering some challenges with my server's hard drives. I've purchased several HDDs along with SSDs, and my goal is to set up a RAID 5 configuration. However, I'm facing issues because my system seems to only recognize the SSDs during the boot process. Even when the OS is up and running, the HDDs are not visible when I use the df command. Has anyone come across a similar problem or could provide insights into how I might troubleshoot and resolve this recognition issue?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions you can offer. Thanks in advance!

Hey!
    At first, df lists mounts of partitions, not drives.
    To list all drives you need lsblk or fdisk -l