Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DirectAdmin: Your Thoughts? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DirectAdmin: Your Thoughts?

13»

Comments

• rdesrdes Member
    edited September 2023

"MariaDB 10.11 will not be supported for legacy DA products."
    And EOL of MariaDB 10.6 which is working with "legacy" licenses is Jul 2026.

Here we go with forcing people to switch from lifetime and cheap datacenter licenses to standard monthly billing... (I'd rather pay for cPanel than do that).

• @rdes said:

Here we go with forcing people to switch from lifetime and cheap datacenter licenses to standard monthly billing... (I'd rather pay for cPanel than do that).

I'm popping some popcorn. This is going to be fun to watch!

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Plesk is better and more stable

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2023

It takes a lot of effort (read large dev team, and lots of money) to support legacy software. They are simply not equipped to do that. Take it however you like, but that's the reality.

Price increases are a different matter. They essentially divided the market into two segments when they did that - the good ol' British divide and conquer method.

Anyone getting new licenses could no longer get unlimited domains for cheap while providers with existing licenses retained their unlimited domain licenses.

These second batch of providers were the largest part of DA users. They didn't complain when DA increased license prices in the form of new licenses. The new licenses came with fewer domains and accounts, and thus new providers by default were at a disadvantage competing with providers with legacy licenses. And DA successfully increased their prices in the form of new licenses, facing little to no protest.

Now it seems the market might become even for all providers after 2026, if not sooner.

• @rdes said:

source?

• Rug pull. I have predicted this move from them. Never, ever trust third parties if it is not in written and stamped form.

• @LTniger said:

Rug pull. I have predicted this move from them. Never, ever trust third parties if it is not in written and stamped form.

Damn, that sounds bad.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

It should still be possible to upgrade MariaDB using yum/rpm if custombuild stops supporting it.

• HizakuraHizakura Member, Patron Provider

I still prefer cPanel.

• Ouch. What next, no upgrades to PHP or something else on the legacy licence?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    Ouch. What next, no upgrades to PHP or something else on the legacy licence?

:(

Francisco

• DA no longer allows legacy Datacenter license to be transferred to another IP address unless you are an ASN holder, except for retail license. In my case I was previously hosting provider but have long got out of hosting business. So am out of luck using those legacy DC licenses.

• They should just come out and say the legacy licenses for x reason need to go, we can't support them anymore. Sorry, here is a discount if you upgrade, bye.

Take the hit and move on. Worked for cPanel :)

• @Lee said:
    They should just come out and say the legacy licenses for x reason need to go, we can't support them anymore. Sorry, here is a discount if you upgrade, bye.

Take the hit and move on. Worked for cPanel :)

Exactly, they hide it behind their policies, only after to try to make changes to the Legacy license would you find yourself not able to make changed. My scenario was affected by DediPath fiasco when EtherNet servers migrated to another DC and assigned new IP address. I was not able to change the license to new IP. And DA would not budge even due to DediPath going out of business. So now I have started to look for an alternative Panel for small sites I maintain for some long time clients and friends.

• @bula said: I was not able to change the license to new IP. And DA would not budge even due to DediPath going out of business.

Yeah, that's poor.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

it's a hard one, DA is still cheaper than cPanel, especially when you consider unlimited accounts. nothing lasts forever.

I have an owned license and they do offer a discount to convert it to a special standard license, but if you stop paying you loose it.

My next move would be 'enhance control panel' it has a nice feel and isn't that expensive. It just seems nice and modern, something cpanel and DA are missing.

• @JamesF said:
    it's a hard one, DA is still cheaper than cPanel, especially when you consider unlimited accounts. nothing lasts forever.

I have an owned license and they do offer a discount to convert it to a special standard license, but if you stop paying you loose it.

My next move would be 'enhance control panel' it has a nice feel and isn't that expensive. It just seems nice and modern, something cpanel and DA are missing.

I totally agree. Its fine when they announce changes ahead so one is aware of their policies. Since I am no longer in Hosting business its not a huge impact. But I plan to resume at some point in near future when I am freed up with my normal business.
    On their defect, they do offer giving up Legacy into a discounted Monthly subscription so thats nice, but I feel they are also moving towards cPanel so looking for alternative would be wiser early on.

I am also looking into "Enhance" as a long term strategy stand point.

• @JamesF said: it's a hard one, DA is still cheaper than cPanel, especially when you consider unlimited accounts.

True and depends on your needs. Everyone loves the term "unlimited" in practice though, few to none actually need that.

I mean DA is still good, everyone still has the option to solve this by taking a new license. Hosting providers aside, the majority fit into the Personal Plus or Lite, so max $15 but even that will hurt the LET misers :)

• i hate it..bad ux...they need to improve and change process..

• @Lee said:
    They should just come out and say the legacy licenses for x reason need to go, we can't support them anymore.

They don't provide technical support to legacy licenses already. About 2 years ago there was an option to subscribe support and propack, but they withdrew that.
    And they also totally ditched installations on older OSes by changing their license system from IPs to keys and leaving them without working DA.

cPanel or Litespeed lifetime still works even on CentOS 5 or other retro systems.
    You just can't update it which is fine.

• After the cPanel price hike, the DirectAdmin got huge business. But instead of more development, The DA started running on cPanel footprints. They not only increased their price but also stopped providing datacenter license. Now the only way to get license is their website.
    However, it still cheap then cPanel.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Has anyone moved from DA to Webuzo? How are you finding it?

• @JamesF said:
    Has anyone moved from DA to Webuzo? How are you finding it?

pls do not do this. this is a backward downgrade twice. you're going the wrong way.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cPanel, Plesk, DA...what is the 4th panel in the market? Anything close?