Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dropbox Ends Unlimited
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dropbox Ends Unlimited

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

No more unlimited cloud storage - 5TB max now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dropbox-ends-unlimited-cloud-storage-163000736.html

"Dropbox Inc., a provider of online data storage, is ending its unlimited option, saying a small handful of customers were using massive amounts of resources that had the potential to degrade the cloud service for the rest of its clients.

The company’s highest-tier “all the space you need” storage plan will be capped at about 5 terabytes per user for new customers, the company said in a blog post shared with Bloomberg to be released Thursday. That’s enough space to save about 33 million documents, Dropbox said."

Thanked by 1inc

Comments

• Dropbox is dead since storage offers from other companies are better deals.

• SlapSlap Member

aliyundrive: smilence

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Deep Atlantic Storage feels emotional stability.
    We have unlimited storage!
    Back by the full faith and credit of Starfleet Headquarters, no user has ever lost a bit of uploaded data.

Thanked by 1Otus9051
  • @ascicode said:
    Dropbox is dead since storage offers from other companies are better deals.

Are they as good? To me, Dropbox shits on Google and onedrive and it's no contest in functionality and stability.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Hxxx
  • PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited August 2023

People still use Dropbox? Their web UI is a disorganized mess, their desktop app is a bloated pile of slow crashy garbage, and their $/TB pricing is ridiculous. It's so bad that it isn't even worth gaming their referral system for free storage anymore.

I'm surprised they still are alive even though Google Drive offers way more for less. At the very least, shared links from Google Drive don't harass you to sign up for an account.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Are they as good? To me, Dropbox shits on Google and onedrive and it's no contest in functionality and stability.

Dropbox has always "just worked" for me on mac, Windows, Linux headless, etc.

OneDrive usually has not.

Google I've played with but haven't seriously used because I was already deep into Dropbox by the time Google Drive came along.

I listened to a preso at a MySQL conference from their tech leads and they were pretty sharp and went into depth on how they implemented things. Alas, Google and Microsoft will never part the kimono like that.

Eventually Dropbox will fold because they can't compete with the big boys. On that day I will be sad.

Thank you for listening to my story.

• LMAO 🤣 Dropbox? What year is this? It's very surprising that this piece of junk still exists

• Good. Kill all these plex shares and the like that leech and abuse these services.

• @PineappleM said:
    People still use Dropbox? Their web UI is a disorganized mess, their desktop app is a bloated pile of slow crashy garbage, and their $/TB pricing is ridiculous. It's so bad that it isn't even worth gaming their referral system for free storage anymore.

I'm surprised they still are alive even though Google Drive offers way more for less. At the very least, shared links from Google Drive don't harass you to sign up for an account.

700 million users. They charge more because they're way better. When you say things like that, you only make yourself look uninformed.
    Kind of funny, given how Google drive replaces their fucking apps every 2-3 years with something else, changing how it looks and works.

Thanked by 3Hxxx fart Aluminat
  • aj_potcaj_potc Member
    edited August 2023

@raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said: Are they as good? To me, Dropbox shits on Google and onedrive and it's no contest in functionality and stability.

Dropbox has always "just worked" for me on mac, Windows, Linux headless, etc.

Totally agree with you there. I've since moved away from them for various reasons, but I never had an issue with their software on any OS where I used it. It just worked flawlessly, exactly how file sync should work.

I can't say the same for any of the other clients I've tried.

• So what’s everyone using for their cloud storage?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@Astro said:
    So what’s everyone using for their cloud storage?

NordicCloud

• @Astro said:

MinIO

Thanked by 2scooke BasToTheMax
  • @Astro said:

im just using it for saving my ransomware collection

Thanked by 1BetaRacks
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@Astro said:

Nextcloud on our servers

• rjblrjbl Member

I moved from Dropbox when they did their rust rewrite but years before that the product was solid.
    From what I have seen it is still popular and a way better alternative to the crappy icloud storage sync as seen
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/11ex473/dont_trust_icloud_with_your_data_lost_many_files/
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8217175
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254627528
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252589587

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I don't trust anyone with my files, I only have some back-ups on kimsufis.
    Using your own system is probably the best, it will always work as you like it.

Thanked by 1xxsl
  • xxslxxsl Member, LIR

The word "Unlimited" is not suitable for current human beings.

Even though one day in the future human sci tech gets REAL unlimited energy in their universe, they will not use that well.

Greed is just human nature.

Thanked by 1chiccorosso
  • Box would be next.

• Unlimited, unmetered, lifetime. 3 words that usually have other meaning in the context of digital service beside its literal generic dictionary meaning. I usually avoid, or lower my expectation when dealing with online or digital service using those 3 words. Not to entirely blame them though, gg shady plex provider.

• LeviLevi Member

The greed usually ends up eating all that unlimited, unmetered, ultra, hyper, super etc.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Maounique said:
    I don't trust anyone with my files, I only have some back-ups on kimsufis.
    Using your own system is probably the best, it will always work as you like it.

well unless you own those kimsufis and the DC's housing them, you still trust somebody else with your files.

Thanked by 1Jasonhyperhost
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

didn't we all see these coming all the plex sellers jumped ship when google imposed the 10tb caps on the unmetered plans (10tb per user) all the plex guys cried and moved to dropbox , now there up in arms again ! do they never learn your never going to get unlimited storage for peanuts.

• TeoMTeoM Member
    edited August 2023

@yoursunny said:
    Back by the full faith and credit of Starfleet Headquarters, no user has ever lost a bit of uploaded data.

Unlimited storage for Free I can confirm. Already uploaded petabytes

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TeoM said:

@yoursunny said:

Is our upload speeds satisfactory?

• TeoMTeoM Member

@yoursunny said:

@TeoM said:

@yoursunny said:

Is our upload speeds satisfactory?

I was always satisfied, I have 10Gbit at home and everything runs smoothly.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MrRobMrRob Member
    edited August 2023

Guys, can you recommend one for 1-2 tb storage?

3$ to 5$ or 6$

https://360.yandex.com/disk/

But I can't find any good yandex reviews for Europe or the US.

• TeoMTeoM Member

@MrRob said:

3$ to 5$ or 6$

Hetzner Storage Box

Thanked by 1MrRob
  • @TeoM said:

@MrRob said:

3$ to 5$ or 6$

Hetzner Storage Box

Thank you, I have a question.
    I have never registered with Hetzner, I have read that new accounts get 20$ for free when they verify their identity. is this true?

• I must be one of the less that is actually happy with Dropbox. In the past, I accidentally deleted 2 years of hard work. Luckily, I could restore it with their back-in-time function. Detail: I accidentally deleted the files after trying an other storage provider. I learnt from it, so I spend the 11 dollars.

Thanked by 1Ympker