Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I backup whole VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I backup whole VPS

qebaqeba Member

Hey guys, anyone can help me get idea on how I can backup my whole VPS. For example, it is running on Debian 11, and there are multiple applications inside it and data, and i want to migrate the whole VPS to a new provider. Anyone got the guide or has experience on backup the entire VPS and restore it at a new place?.

And also is it possible to backup like "daily backup" the whole VPS, I've experience and doing the daily backup that on application level like backup specific directory. Right now I wanted to like i can restore the whole VPS to other providers if something happened to my current provider at any time without required me to re-install service one by one.

Comments

• As far as I know you cannot backup whole VPS unless this feature is provided by the provider. Even then you will only be able to restore on that provider only.

Use rsync or some other tool to move applications to new provider.

Thanked by 1qeba
  • Do you mind shutting your server down before backing up? The difficulty is, when your server is running, it could generate new data and make the backup inconsistent. While there are solutions, they are not easy to implement.

If you can shut it down, it becomes much easier. You basically have two choices: move the old disk block by block to the new server (and fix the partition table and/or bootloader when necessary), or use rsync to move every file to the new server and fix the bootloader. Both will work. The latter is slightly easier IMO.

• balhostbalhost Member, Host Rep

@qeba said:
    Hey guys, anyone can help me get idea on how I can backup my whole VPS. For example, it is running on Debian 11, and there are multiple applications inside it and data, and i want to migrate the whole VPS to a new provider. Anyone got the guide or has experience on backup the entire VPS and restore it at a new place?.

And also is it possible to backup like "daily backup" the whole VPS, I've experience and doing the daily backup that on application level like backup specific directory. Right now I wanted to like i can restore the whole VPS to other providers if something happened to my current provider at any time without required me to re-install service one by one.

You can use Veeam Backup Agent for this purpose, You can Backup your whole VM as a VMDK when your VM is running.

Thanked by 1qeba
  • qebaqeba Member

@alilet said: Use rsync or some other tool to move applications to new provider.

Ya, understood that possibly to use rsync but still even if move the data of the application, the basic service like Nginx, Docker or etc2. Still need to be re-configured on new VPS/Server.

@Kousaka said: If you can shut it down, it becomes much easier. You basically have two choices: move the old disk block by block to the new server (and fix the partition table and/or bootloader when necessary), or use rsync to move every file to the new server and fix the bootloader. Both will work. The latter is slightly easier IMO.

Is this method possible between two providers? For example, one of the providers using Virtualizor and the new provider to migrate is using SolusVM, or maybe like how do i transfer block by block, do you mean like transfer the file system?. like transfer /etc/* to the new server will this work?.

@balhost said: You can use Veeam Backup Agent for this purpose, You can Backup your whole VM as a VMDK when your VM is running.

Would this be possible to be used on VPS level not like the dedicated server level? Like on the old VPS i install the agent, then at the new VPS i install this Veeam Backup Agent too, then i can make it automatically transfer the file?.

@yoursunny said: Migrate a KVM VPS from one host to another – Easy Mode.

Thank you @yoursunny, this is close to what im looking for.

But still, I'm actually looking for a magic way, like that allow me to easily migrate between two different VPS providers, so that in time of service disruption, i don't need to re-configure my server from scratch and quickly recover my application. Like any paid service, like i just install the agent on my server maybe, then at new server i also just install the agent again, then it pulls and re-configure for me automatically.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Acronis Agent works well!

Thanked by 1qeba
  • @qeba said:

@alilet said: Use rsync or some other tool to move applications to new provider.

Ya, understood that possibly to use rsync but still even if move the data of the application, the basic service like Nginx, Docker or etc2. Still need to be re-configured on new VPS/Server.

@Kousaka said: If you can shut it down, it becomes much easier. You basically have two choices: move the old disk block by block to the new server (and fix the partition table and/or bootloader when necessary), or use rsync to move every file to the new server and fix the bootloader. Both will work. The latter is slightly easier IMO.

Is this method possible between two providers? For example, one of the providers using Virtualizor and the new provider to migrate is using SolusVM, or maybe like how do i transfer block by block, do you mean like transfer the file system?. like transfer /etc/* to the new server will this work?.

@balhost said: You can use Veeam Backup Agent for this purpose, You can Backup your whole VM as a VMDK when your VM is running.

Would this be possible to be used on VPS level not like the dedicated server level? Like on the old VPS i install the agent, then at the new VPS i install this Veeam Backup Agent too, then i can make it automatically transfer the file?.

@yoursunny said: Migrate a KVM VPS from one host to another – Easy Mode.

Thank you @yoursunny, this is close to what im looking for.

But still, I'm actually looking for a magic way, like that allow me to easily migrate between two different VPS providers, so that in time of service disruption, i don't need to re-configure my server from scratch and quickly recover my application. Like any paid service, like i just install the agent on my server maybe, then at new server i also just install the agent again, then it pulls and re-configure for me automatically.

It will work even between virtualization systems. Use dd to transfer block by block. If the source disk size is equal to the destination, then you're good to go. If not, you might need to resize the filesystem. And finally if the OS fails to boot, reinstall the bootloader. Done.

• @qeba said: Hey guys, anyone can help me get idea on how I can backup my whole VPS. For example, it is running on Debian 11, and there are multiple applications inside it and data, and i want to migrate the whole VPS to a new provider. Anyone got the guide or has experience on backup the entire VPS and restore it at a new place?.

>

You may ask your provider for the VPS disk if they are flexible they'll give it you.

• @qeba said: And also is it possible to backup like "daily backup" the whole VPS, I've experience and doing the daily backup that on application level like backup specific directory. Right now I wanted to like i can restore the whole VPS to other providers if something happened to my current provider at any time without required me to re-install service one by one.

>

You can ask to your provider to do it for you :)

• @qeba said: Hey guys, anyone can help me get idea on how I can backup my whole VPS. For example, it is running on Debian 11, and there are multiple applications inside it and data, and i want to migrate the whole VPS to a new provider. Anyone got the guide or has experience on backup the entire VPS and restore it at a new place?.

As far as I know the providers offer full backups for your VPS. You can ask your provider for the service.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

if your provide is not willing install a 3rd party backup tool such as acronis cyber protect then the control is in your hands now with the provider