Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HestiaCP and DNS cluster
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HestiaCP and DNS cluster

LeviLevi Member
edited August 2023 in Help

I have this setup:

NS1 - server A (dedicated DNS master)
NS2 - server B (dedicated DNS slave)
Web server - server C (shared web hosting server)

Now, magic is with DNS setup... NS1 and NS2 is in cluster mode master -> slave. These are completely separate servers serving only DNS (with hestiaCP).

How to add server C to that damn cluster? I want that domain and DNS added in server C would sync to NS1 and NS2.

Master <-> Master -> Slave ? But in this case DNSSEC would be broken.

HestiaCP forum is broken and I can't request help.

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

@LTniger said: How to add server C to that damn cluster? I want that domain and DNS added in server C would sync to NS1 and NS2.

DNS protocol provides single master -> multiple slaves synchronization by the usage of NS records and SOA record within each zone

You can read more here and here.

• VitaVita Member

Well depending on what is used underneath by DNS service (PowerDNS, Bind or something else and the backend of the DNS service files/mysql).

1. You could use AXFR and have multiple Slaves, one master and multiple Slaves.
    2. You could have all normal NS servers, but only one server let's say NS1 be a source of truth, then the others will rsync the zone files to rest of the servers.
    3. You can have also all normal servers, but setup master/slave MySQL replication. So the first NS1 server will have a MySQL database with zones and records which will be replicated to NS2 and C via MySQL replication.

There are probably other ways to achieve this as well. The easiest may be to do the MySQL replication or file rsync, since then you will also copy the keys for DNSSEC, since AXFR may have issues with DNSSEC.

• LeviLevi Member

HestiaCP use bind9 for DNS. And server who receive new records is slave (server C). So, probably Master <-> Master setup.