Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When wiping off, is reinstall enough ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When wiping off, is reinstall enough ?

Say I want to move my system from provider A to provider B, I need to make sure no data was left, for that do I need to perform full wipeout with rm or I just need to reinstall/rebuild vps from control panel ?

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Better wipe your drive from a live system by running command blkdiscard /dev/vdX or dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vdX bs=4M if the first command was not successful.

Thanked by 2maverickp raindog308
  • vaviloffvaviloff Member
    edited August 2023

Guess that depends on the provider. Last time I bought a Kimsufi it definitely had an OS responding to ping and ssh loging attempts, though in control panel it said no OS installed. So what is someone reboots in rescue mode? - I guess it should be possible to access the previous server contents and restore the removed files. Probably better to reinstall or even shred.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

If you want to be extra sure, and you don't got access to the baremetal use shred to multiple times overwrite the files and/or device.

It might be difficult to ensure the data is overwritten on the physical platters on baremetal level in a VPS tho, so make sure you also fill your storage completely and shred

But if you are worried about baremetal level data leaks, VPS, lowend one especially, is completely wrong option. At the very minimum you need a dedi at that point so you can do drive wipe / SED wipe / blkdiscard

Baremetal data leak is the only time i would imagine on a VPS this comes as an issue, as when VM is cancelled, the drive image is deleted, and within minutes recovering the image becomes way too cost prohitibitive, as soon as the metadata on hypervisor FS is overwritten and there's no more info on which sectors the data resided and it starts naturally getting overwritten by other VMs.
    If it's SSD based VM, then most likely discard option is set at some level, and the blocks are immediately gone or fstrim ran every now and then to completely drop deleted data.
    Then again SSD based the data can be all over the drives etc.

Thanked by 2Protokolla Pixels
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I was hoping this was going to be a toilet paper versus bidet debate.

• @Liso said:
    Say I want to move my system from provider A to provider B, I need to make sure no data was left, for that do I need to perform full wipeout with rm or I just need to reinstall/rebuild vps from control panel ?

A quick format will also help delete all your data

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

@rahulbose98 said:

No, it doesn't. A quick format will remove partition information but all data remains intact and recoverable. rm similarly, won't actually guarantee removal of data.

Secure erase & shred if you want to be sure.

@vaviloff said:
    Guess that depends on the provider. Last time I bought a Kimsufi it definitely had an OS responding to ping and ssh loging attempts, though in control panel it said no OS installed. So what is someone reboots in rescue mode? - I guess it should be possible to access the previous server contents and restore the removed files. Probably better to reinstall or even shred.

This is (most likely) a trick to speed up deployment times - preinstall before order and then pick an appropriate system that's ready based on OS selection during order.

Thanked by 2hostdare rahulbose98
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

What like with a cloth?

Thanked by 1jackb
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jar said:
    What like with a cloth?

Scrunch or fold?

Thanked by 1jar
  • Install secure-delete and wipe the critical stuff.

• emghemgh Member

@jackb said: Scrunch

People do that?

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@MannDude said: toilet paper versus bidet debate.

winner is the bidet

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@Liso said:

In general, a VPS reinstallation will be enough to do it, but you need to make sure your previous hosting company doesn't hold your backup.
    So, to be sure none of your data was left, do this:
    - reinstall your VPS
    - ask your hosting provider if they do backups, and if yes - what is the schedule for backups(how often they do it or what days)
    - delay the process of service cancellation until a new reinstalled VPS is backed up so your previous hosting company will hold a backup of clean VPS

• @jackb said:

@rahulbose98 said:

No, it doesn't. A quick format will remove partition information but all data remains intact and recoverable. rm similarly, won't actually guarantee removal of data.

Secure erase & shred if you want to be sure.

Got it, thanks for the in depth information.

• LeviLevi Member

When you wipe off, use cleanex. On vps there is no need to do anything else, just delete. Neighbours will take care of that freed space and fill it with 111.