Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox Upgrade from 7 to 8 - any gotches? in-place or nuke and restore?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox Upgrade from 7 to 8 - any gotches? in-place or nuke and restore?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My home proxmox is running 7.0.

I've backed up all the VMs and /etc. Anything else I should backup?

First, I will upgrade to 7.4. Then upgrade to 8.

For the 7.4 -> 8, should I do an in-place or nuke and restore the VMs? I'm thinking to try an in-place and see how it goes. Any gotchas going from 7 to 8?

Comments

• Not any major system overhauls so you should be fine going with an in place upgrade, but it's a good idear to have a backup Incase stuff goes sideways

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I've updated both of my home servers from an old installation (I think 7.1) and everything went flawlessly. You should have backups, but nuking and restoring I don't feel you need to.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Upgrade in place always worked 95% of the time.
    Never did a VM broke, rather some wired new setting that could cause problems but is mostly mentioned when upgrading.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

Havent done any to 8 yet, but I've taken some acquired customers from 5 to 7 without any hitches, 3 servers in a row, in production. Usually proxmox is stellar in upgrading, just follow their docs to a T and you'll be fine.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Piece of cake. Thanks, all!

• Everything ok :)