Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how do i self host mail without everything thinking its spam and also without spending money - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how do i self host mail without everything thinking its spam and also without spending money

2»

Comments

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@jar said:

@default said:
    We should not have to turn to corporations for email. We need to be able to host this ourselves.

The key is that there's value in pooled power. We don't just need more self hosts, we also need more medium sized mail providers. So go forth and compete, spread thin enough to not give anyone too much power but not so thin that you can't stand up for yourself.

All I ever wanted was to gain enough power to give us all a seat at the table, and make enough to be comfortable for doing it.

Couldn't agree more! Issue is customers, they don't understand when their emails to their customers don't make it.

I gave up when my larger customers lost business because of not delivered mail.

I have been toying with the idea of getting back into it, maybe I'll take the plunge soon again.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@jfreak53 said:

@jar said:

@default said:
    We should not have to turn to corporations for email. We need to be able to host this ourselves.

The key is that there's value in pooled power. We don't just need more self hosts, we also need more medium sized mail providers. So go forth and compete, spread thin enough to not give anyone too much power but not so thin that you can't stand up for yourself.

All I ever wanted was to gain enough power to give us all a seat at the table, and make enough to be comfortable for doing it.

Couldn't agree more! Issue is customers, they don't understand when their emails to their customers don't make it.

I gave up when my larger customers lost business because of not delivered mail.

I have been toying with the idea of getting back into it, maybe I'll take the plunge soon again.

I will gladly share helpful advice and even configs to help people compete with me. If I can't keep the lights on by my continued day to day work, I should find a new job.

• @yoursunny said:

@Otus9051 said:
    already got a VPS
    paying not an option

Cance the VPS and use the savings to buy MXroute.
    You are not paying extra.

bold of you to assume i paid for the vps

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited August 2023

TL;DR of the thread in this state

If you self host it, you will need a lot of time to gain IP Reputation, and is a hassle to manage.
    If you get someone like MXRoute to do it, you can pay and get the job done fairly easily.

I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Checked MXRoute Pricing - Kinda too costly for what I'm doing here. The mail will be probably mostly legal (from Government and whatnot) and some client emails (of which I don't think any will come).

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Otus9051 said:

If you self host it, you will need a lot of time to gain IP Reputation, and is a hassle to manage.
    If you get someone like MXRoute to do it, you can pay and get the job done fairly easily.

I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Checked MXRoute Pricing - Kinda too costly for what I'm doing here. The mail will be probably mostly legal (from Government and whatnot) and some client emails (of which I don't think any will come).

Why not just get Zoho or Skiff?

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

@FatGrizzly said: Why not just get Zoho

Zoho has strict limits on amount of sent messages thus it is not suitable for transactional emails

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Otus9051 said:

I'll see what I can do.

Hi @Otus9051 .

I will keep it that short.

@tentor said:

Zoho has strict limits on amount of sent messages thus it is not suitable for transactional emails

Zoho for receiving, Sendgrid student for sending(15k emails per month, for free Otusy)

Thanked by 1Otus9051
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@FatGrizzly said: Sendgrid

How dare you. Amazon SES, don't contribute anything good to SpamGrid, let them die the horrible death they deserve. It's only gotten worse and they've stopped pretending to care: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/08/sendgrid-under-siege-from-hacked-accounts/

The more good people leave their network, the sooner we can all just blackhole them and let them stop raining shit on the internet.

@jar said:

@FatGrizzly said: Sendgrid

How dare you. Amazon SES, don't contribute anything good to SpamGrid, let them die the horrible death they deserve. It's only gotten worse and they've stopped pretending to care: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/08/sendgrid-under-siege-from-hacked-accounts/

The more good people leave their network, the sooner we can all just blackhole them and let them stop raining shit on the internet.

https://blogiestools.com/amazon-ses-free-tier-changes/ - Not Otusy

I agree with you, I've ditched sendgrid for production, use it for dev environments(fine eh?).

I'm waiting for 24 Nov, 2023

Thanked by 1jar
  • vaviloffvaviloff Member
    edited August 2023

@Otus9051 Here's another recent discussion on the topic with some email providers suggested, including free ones: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/187628/self-hosted-email-worth-it/p1

Thanked by 1Otus9051
  • emghemgh Member

I just want to note that I posted a fully free provider with free custom domain and basically no strict limits but 1 GB storage

• connect your domain to gmail using cloudflare?

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited August 2023

@emgh said inleed
    @jmaxwell said skiff

ill compare both and check whats good

skiff seems to not have custom domain support on free tier. I'll see what i have other than inleed

• emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@Otus9051 said: ill compare both and check whats good

From what I understand it's a niche privacy service, no IMAP, no SMTP, nothing, and it's freemium

Inleed.xyz is fully free, no paid option (apart from signing up to web hosting @ inleed.se but that's a completely seperate product), and has all of the basics

And it's operated by a serious provider with their own datacenters

• @FatGrizzly said:

@tentor said:

Zoho for receiving, Sendgrid student for sending(15k emails per month, for free Otusy)

zoho works weirdly, they sometimes auto upgrade you then downgrade you then cancel the whole damn account

not good

• @emgh said:

From what I understand it's a niche privacy service, no IMAP, no SMTP, nothing, and it's freemium

Inleed.xyz is fully free, no paid option (apart from signing up to web hosting @ inleed.se but that's a completely seperate product), and has all of the basics

hi where custom domain option

• @Otus9051 said:

@emgh said:

hi where custom domain option

found it

Thanked by 1emgh
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Otus9051 said:

MXroute can be had for 1 💷 / month from @MichaelCee .

• VoidVoid Member

@Otus9051 said:
    @emgh said inleed
    @jmaxwell said skiff

ill compare both and check whats good

skiff seems to not have custom domain support on free tier.

It’s free, I’m using it. Only one custom domain per free account though.

https://skiff.com/blog/free-tier-custom-domain-launch

• @Otus9051 said:

Wait for Black Friday to see if anything goes on sale.