Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

full linux server backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

full linux server backup

Hello LET,
whats the easiest way to backup the whole vps and if needed to restore it?
Any ideas/tools appreciated.

regards

Comments

• rsync

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

If you want make full image you can take server into rescue mode and then use something like clonezilla.

Thanked by 2gbzret4d Protokolla
  • balhostbalhost Member, Host Rep

You can use Veeam Backup, with agents you can make a full backup or custom backups. After that you can restore files as a VM. You can even backup a dedicated server with it.

Thanked by 2gbzret4d ariq01
  • All kinds of possibilities - depending on what you want, what your knowledge is, if you want an online or offline backup, how many times you want to make a backup, etc etc.

If you really want to make a 1:1 copy/backup of everything and can do that offline: clonezilla is a logical choice; quite easy to use, and does a lot of things (scriptwise) what you otherwise should do yourself if you make a dd of a disk

If you want to do it online and have to do it regularly and want a full 1:1 backup, you could look into a "real" backup solution with agents. Veeam is called, but for a normal VPS without access to the host I'd think it's a bit overkill. There are other (open source) possibilities.

When you have to do it regularly I'd not want a 1:1 backup but only the things I've changed/added to the OS and the data. A good Linux administrator uses an organized filesystem and knows where his data is and where the configfiles are - basically everything you'd need to "rebuild" a VPS. Put everything into a script and e.g. rsync the files to backup to an external host and you're quite set. If you want to do it more fancy, take a look at BorgBackup. Also a good thing to do: create a list of all installed packages (including versions) in the same backup script and keep that in your backup too.

Thanked by 2gbzret4d sebkehl
  • dd

Thanked by 1gbzret4d