Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you need ID for Hetzner?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you need ID for Hetzner?

Hi guys, thinking of buying a 64TB server from hetzner auction - for Plex and *Arr services. Planning on paying with PayPal. Do they insist on ID verification? Do they enforce VAT? Thanks

Comments

• They enforce VAT in the way they should (so it depends on customer location and type). I believe they still do ask for ID but I am not sure about that.

• @ThePickle said:
    They enforce VAT in the way they should (so it depends on customer location and type). I believe they still do ask for ID but I am not sure about that.

I mean if I use revolut and put down Qatar as my location, I wouldn’t need to pay VAT - would they then ask for ID to prove address etc?

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

I think it depends on where you live. I know a few people in Scandinavian countries who bought and never had to show ID.

I think if you sign up from a country where there's no VAT they will demand ID. Also if you order with a VPN.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

When I placed the order for a server from the bidding zone, they have not requested any ID... however, that was last year I believe.

• @seller_serpent said: I wouldn’t need to pay VAT - would they then ask for ID to prove address etc?

Yes. am from Asia and was asked for passport pic.

• chipchip Member

@seller_serpent said:
    Hi guys, thinking of buying a 64TB server from hetzner auction - for Plex and *Arr services. Planning on paying with PayPal. Do they insist on ID verification? Do they enforce VAT? Thanks

Yes I had a storage box with them some years ago and they required ID for that I also signed up for their storage share and they then also wanted ID for that too .... and yes they charged me VAT

• niknik Member, Host Rep

This sounds so sketchy that I hope you will have to be verified by showing your ID! There is a reason why you have to put in your address and details correctly.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • I from Sweden, they did not asked ID. However I didn't faked anything. ;)

• When I signed up a few years ago, I was prompted with the option to either verify my PayPal account by sending them $20 or verifying my ID. According to some people I know who have tried to sign up this year, they now only allow ID verification, but that might not be the case for everyone.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Besides of VAT, they also charge sales tax in some US States.

• they only want your cash.

• @Andy10tbit said:
    they only want your cash.

Not really. They also want to keep their IP ranges clean. Personally, I think that is worth more than $25 a month that a spammer would give them...

• mhnmhn Member

they ask for id if they feel like it for the first order, if you do not get asked for an id when you order, you will certainly get asked for it when you reach a bandwidth limit

• RUSSRUSS Member

they allow copyright?

• sliixsliix Member
    edited August 2023

@RUSS said:
    they allow copyright?

No. But I know some people using them to host Plex and *arr too. Mostly for personal uses or share with friends/family.