Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Ryzen do you want us to add?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Ryzen do you want us to add?

HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

We are going to be adding Ryzen 79xx series procs to our product list. If we were to only offer one would you rather see...

1. Ryzen 7900X 12 cores at 4.7GHz or
  2. Ryzen 7950X 16 cores at 4.5GHz

Would be curious to know how much RAM and what drive configuration you would want. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Depends on the price differences.

Without it, I want the 7950X with 128 GB DDR5-5200 RAM and a 15.36TB NVMe.

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

Why not 192GB RAM?

• emghemgh Member

@DataWagon said:

@emgh said:

Why not 192GB RAM?

Is there 64 GB DDR5 5200 MHz modules even?

• @emgh said:

@DataWagon said:

@emgh said:

Why not 192GB RAM?

Is there 64 GB DDR5 5200 MHz modules even?

The layout is 4x 48GB DDR5

• So I agree it depends what pricing your offering. Ofcourse with more cores you can generally host more people without overloading the server which means that the price can usually be lower.

However if you wanted to market it towards a specific niche(game server hosting for example) alot of those are single threaded where the 7900X may be seen as an advantage.

Your going to have to pick your market and see where the cost/performance ratio hits a sweet spot.(Although as we are on LET prices are usually a key factor)

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@Hivelocity said: We are going to be adding Ryzen 79xx series procs to our product list

It's nice to see that you are considering to add these Ryzens. I believe in terms of hardware cost and power they don't have much difference.

If you want to add only one, 7950X with 128 GB RAM should be the go to choice.

• @Hivelocity said:
    We are going to be adding Ryzen 79xx series procs to our product list. If we were to only offer one would you rather see...

Would be curious to know how much RAM and what drive configuration you would want. Thank you in advance.

Really depends on the price, but while I'm at it, not all of us who want a 7950X also want 128 GB of RAM, yet we would have to pay for that RAM as part of the monthly price even if we end up using only a quarter of it. So if possible, it would be great if smaller-RAM models (e.g. 32 or 64 GB) are also offered along with that CPU to save on the price.

Thanks.

• @PineappleM said:

@Hivelocity said:

Really depends on the price, but while I'm at it, not all of us who want a 7950X also want 128 GB of RAM, yet we would have to pay for that RAM as part of the monthly price even if we end up using only a quarter of it. So if possible, it would be great if smaller-RAM models (e.g. 32 or 64 GB) are also offered along with that CPU to save on the price.

Thanks.

If I don't have 1024 GB of RAM, how can I serve my static html blog via Nginx?

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Ryzen VPS in the UK please!

• @Moopah said:

@PineappleM said:

@Hivelocity said:

Thanks.

If I don't have 1024 GB of RAM, how can I serve my static html blog via Nginx?

Apache is the way to go in that scenario.

• 7900X
    128GB RAM
    2*2TB NVME

7900X
    192GB RAM
    2*4TB NVME

Let us know when available :)

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@JoseDieguez said:
    7900X
    128GB RAM
    2*2TB NVME

7900X
    192GB RAM
    2*4TB NVME

Sounds like you're trying to setup a price match to our configuration.

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

There is nothing can beat a Ryzen & Epyc server with 128/256gb ram with 2×2tb nvme or a 1*3.84 nvme i'm sure the sales of the following configs will be out of stock if you provided these servers at reasonable prices!

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

I appreciate all the feedback. Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag right now so I would love a little more commentary from you all. Once we figure out the direction we are going I will do my best to keep pricing friendly.

• B
    O
    T
    H
    <3

• @MrRadic said:

@JoseDieguez said:
    7900X
    128GB RAM
    2*2TB NVME

7900X
    192GB RAM
    2*4TB NVME

Sounds like you're trying to setup a price match to our configuration.

Or trying to match ioflood or tier, we use several providers, but you haven't sent any new ryzen to LA location in a long time, and we must update servers soon.

@Hivelocity said: I will do my best to keep pricing friendly.

That would be nice. Your current prices are on the higher end. Buying hardware is cheaper, even over a 1 year ROI.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:

@Hivelocity said: I will do my best to keep pricing friendly.

That would be nice. Your current prices are on the higher end. Buying hardware is cheaper, even over a 1 year ROI.

Maybe for cPanel pricing, they charge more on the server.

• I see you've recently added Tokyo as a core site.
    I'd love to see a Ryzen server there although it would be too expensive for me...

• IvanIvan Member
    edited August 2023

If pricing will be competitive like Reliablesite for example:

7950X
    128GB RAM with option for 192GB RAM
    2x2TB NVMe with option for 2x4TB NVMe

Alternatively if your pricing will be slightly on the higher end then I’d rather see this:

7900X
    128GB RAM
    2x1TB NVMe or if costs are negligible then 2x2TB NVMe

There has to be some very competitive pricing because so far Hivelocity’s pricing is on the higher end and not LET-friendly.

Bonus: Would be amazing if we could get this in SG with the same pricing but with a lower BW cap to offset the costs.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

7950X
    192GB RAM
    2*4TB NVME

• @Hivelocity said:
    I appreciate all the feedback. Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag right now so I would love a little more commentary from you all. Once we figure out the direction we are going I will do my best to keep pricing friendly.

Yes

@Abd said:
    7950X
    192GB RAM
    2*4TB NVME

$125

• watercooled would be nice

• @SirFoxy said:

@Hivelocity said:

Yes

@Abd said:
    7950X
    192GB RAM
    2*4TB NVME

$125

$25

edited August 2023

@ExonHost said: Maybe for cPanel pricing, they charge more on the server.

If I do not mention this, it would be an injustice to Hvlcity. That was a lifesaver for many providers, specially who do not have many servers. They deserve a huge credit for doing what should have been cPanel's job.

But unfortunately, that is also a deal breaker once you are past a couple of servers, as at that point, you can no longer spend the higher prices, and have more options at hand.

@Samidare said: watercooled would be nice

That is a must for 7950X.

• balhostbalhost Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:

@Samidare said: watercooled would be nice

That is a must for 7950X.

We are using NH-L9a-AM5 with a 2U Chassis for R9 7950X it works perfect, maybe you can evaluate noctua coolers

@balhost said: We are using NH-L9a-AM5 with a 2U Chassis for R9 7950X it works perfect, maybe you can evaluate noctua coolers

Low profile air coolers tend to throttle the CPU at the edge. They also tend to keep the temps a bit higher, preventing the CPU to perform fully.

What temps are you getting?

• balhostbalhost Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:

@balhost said: We are using NH-L9a-AM5 with a 2U Chassis for R9 7950X it works perfect, maybe you can evaluate noctua coolers

Low profile air coolers tend to throttle the CPU at the edge. They also tend to keep the temps a bit higher, preventing the CPU to perform fully.

What temps are you getting?

Around 50-70 Celsius

• ccbxccbx Member

ryzen epyc :wink: