Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMF vs Mybb Forum Software what is best
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hey

Comments

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

Category based forums are dead. Give me a timeline like Vanilla (or alternatives) or I don’t wanna’ use it.

Thanked by 3emgh nick_ xLumii
  • We use myBB for our forum board with the RoundoDarko theme so that it doesn't look like a website from 2001: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=1489

I'm not going to link our forum here since I don't want unwanted attention to it, but the preview screenshots there give you an idea on what the forum would look like. We've had it going for about 2 years and never had issues.

• nick_nick_ Member
    edited August 2023

IMO, Discourse is the best forum software to self-host a community nowadays. It works in real-time. I have been using it since late 2020 and it was the right decision.

Thanked by 1mezoology
  • For security purposes? I think SMF is the best option.

For custom themes MyBB..

• Good to hear that OP has built a time machine and went back to 2005

Thanked by 1fart
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

If your target audience is over the age of 40-45, go with SMF, If younger, Discourse or Flarum maybe.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited August 2023

@alilet said:
    Good to hear that OP has built a time machine and went back to 2005

We will return to that. People will start to appreciate all the knowledge behind Categories again. Mark my words! :P

Besides there's nothing more annoying than Discourse like flat infinite scrolling.
    Perfect for newer generations who don't care about the knowledge, just instant read & forget information.

@SnowStylez whatever you pick, SMF vs Mybb, make Categories great again! :P

Thanked by 2ViridWeb webcraft
  • zhizhi Member
    • Discourse
    • NodeBB
    • Flarum
  • @Arkas said:
    If your target audience is over the age of 40-45, go with SMF, If younger, Discourse or Flarum maybe.

What? That doesn't make any sense. I can show you a SMF with a design for youngers people ;)

Based in SMF, take a look in many Hacking Forums using MyBB.

Flarum most themes are outdated Unfortunately and no updates at all.. Still have many things to do in moderation tools and users permissions, category permissions, links, images etc. ;)

Because is recent doesn't mean that is the best.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb